Corsair Community

Sony VGC-RA710G Upgrade?

kevanton

I recently purchased a Sony VGC-RA710G desktop with 512MB of memory. I wanted to add another 512MB to get to 1GB; the CompUSA sales rep recommends a Corsair 512MB card (CMX512-3200XL). What I don't understand is how this should be installed? How do I mix the current cards with the additional card(s)? There are four slots (two banks with two slots each) and currently a 256MB card in each side (Samsung PC3200U 30331-Z, 256MB DDR CL3). How would I install the 512MB? Just stick in one of the empty slots on either side? Move both the 256MB cards to the same side and put the 512MB card on the other side? Also, is this really the right memory card? I don't do any gaming and only use the computer for business and personal productivity applications (Microsoft Money is the app that benefits the most from the memory upgrade based on my prior two computers). Would the Value Select cards give the boost I need for MS Office? These are some memory specs I got from the documentation: PC-3200 DDR-400 SDRAM 184 pin, non ECC, unbuffered. Any suggestions welcomed, thanks!

Welcome to the forums, kevanton! Actually, for your needs, Value Select memory would work just fine. However, mixing/matching memory isn't really the best thing to do and it's not very expensive to just replace the existing memory with a VS1GBKIT400 from Corsair which is two 512Mb modules. If you really wanted to try and put all four modules in, you could try, but I'm guessing stability would be compromised. It sounds to me like the salesman at CompUSA is suggesting a Ferrari when a sedan will work. Not to say the guy isn't right, XL modules would give you some really great performance, but for your needs, it's a little extreme. PLUR CK

Thanks CK! Yeah, you're right, the 1GB Value Select is only a little more costly than the single 512MB stick, so I will take your advice and replace the existing 256MB (Samsung) sticks with the Corsair Value Select 512MB sticks. The CompUSA (at least the one here) does not sell the Value Select; but the reason I had a question in the first place was that I bought the single 512MB XMS stick because the guy said my computer had a single 512MB stick in it. However, when I opened it there were two 256MB sticks, so I returned the single XMS stick. Now one more question, I'm seeing two options online, the VS1GBKIT400 and the VS1GBKIT400CS. What's the difference (the "CS")? Is one "better" than the other? They cost exactly the same at newegg.com. Thanks again!

Are you sure it doesn't say VS1GBKIT400[b][color=blue]C3[/color][/b] instead of CS? The C3 version runs on CAS 3 and the VS1GBKIT400 w/out anything after it runs on CAS 2.5 which is a little bit faster. If they cost the same, get the 2.5 version w/out anything after the "400" in the model name. Specifically, [url=http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-440&depa=0]this one[/url]! PLUR CK

Archived