Corsair Community

P5K SE and 2 GB ddr2/800 modules

sirca

Hi!!

first of all sorry for my poor english!!!

I have several corsair products and ALL are great, but...

I have a Asus P5K SE mb BIOS 1104.

I bougth 4x2GB (XMS2 — 2GB DDR2 Memory (CM2X2048-6400C5)).

With 2 modules (dual channell) I can set the ddr2 frequency to ddr2/800 without problem (24 hours memtest86+).

If I try 4 modules at ddr2/800 and run memtest86+ I ALWAYS obtain error at pass 4 (after several hours), and seems in the same memory address...

But setting ddr2/667 ALL IS OK without error after more than 24h memtest86+.

With 667 setting also other torture test as occt and intel burn test (linpak) reports NO errors.

I tried 2x2GB DDR2/800 from an other manufacturer, from manufacturer compatibility list, and again I obtain errors with memtest86+, but with a single 1GB ddr2/667 module, from an other manufecturer, again all is OK.

Looking for known memory issue with P35 based motherboards I find several people having troubles with 2GB memory modules often in 4 memory module configuration.

What do you think about this??

Is possible a memory module rated 800 is "damaged at 800 but ok at 667"?? Or is a P35 known issue??

Thank you in advance!!

Best Regards from Rome!!

Andrea

PS sorry if I insist but at 667 I get NO errors... :confused:

With 2 modules (dual channell) I can set the ddr2 frequency to ddr2/800 without problem (24 hours memtest86+).

If I try 4 modules at ddr2/800 and run memtest86+ I ALWAYS obtain error at pass 4 (after several hours), and seems in the same memory address...

But setting ddr2/667 ALL IS OK without error after more than 24h memtest86+.

This is often the case when you populate all your slot and use multiple kits in the same board. Corsair does not suggest or support using more than one kit at a time. Even though they are the same part number. You should always purchase the capacity you want from one single matched kt

As you have found out reducing the frequency is allows you to run them without errors. This is because it is less strain on the memory controller and with two non matched sets it is not uncommon to have to do this.

You can try to raise your NB voltage .2v above defaults and rerun memtest and see if that doesn't allow you to run them at rated speeds. If that does not work then there really is not a lot that can be done except to settle for 667mhz.

Is possible a memory module rated 800 is "damaged at 800 but ok at 667"?? Or is a P35 known issue??

ZMemory doesn't work like this, usually if it fails it will fail at any speed not just one. And also because of the reasons stated above.

Hi peanutz94,

thank you for your really quick reply!!!

I also think memory cannot be damaged "at 800 and ok at 667", but I am glad to have an opinion from the forum :)

If anyone had any other consideration is welcome!!

Thank you again peanutz94!!

Best Regards from Rome!!

Andrea

Hi!!!

With 4x2GB at ddr2/667 everything IS OK without errors in more than 24 hours memtest86+ test and then with occt and intel burn test (linpack).

At ddr2/800 instead I have some errors always at 4th pass of memtest86+ and seems in the same memory address, which I think is really curious because at 667 the same memory adress is absolutely OK. What do you think about this strange behaviour?? Do you think some module is damaged?? (They are new!!!)

As you suggest I will try to set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and increase the NB/MCH Voltage +.2 and set to ddr2/800, but for every day use I prefer to not increase voltage and fall back to ddr2/667 which is really stable. (NO problems for more than one month)

Thank you for you support!!

Best Regards from Rome :)

Andrea

At ddr2/800 instead I have some errors always at 4th pass of memtest86+ and seems in the same memory address, which I think is really curious because at 667 the same memory adress is absolutely OK. What do you think about this strange behaviour??

You will likely have to set the memory frequency manually to DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and increase the NB/MCH Voltage +.2 Volts over default

It's not strange behavior. This is often the case when you mix kits and populate all your memory slots. It increases the load on the memory controller and most of the time it cant handle that increased stress at rated speeds(800mhz) So the solution is to reduce the stress(frequency) to get them to run together.

Hi,

I think really you are right.

I populate all slot, use maximum memory size and maximum module size.

I think with this setup the chipset NB stress is at top!!

Thank you again.

Best Regards from Rome!!!

Andrea

Hi!!!

I tried new memtest86+ run and at ddr2/800 has a very strange behavior...

As I reported before there are some error, but seems always at same address and same bit error pattern.

As write in previous post, at 667 there are no errors also after 24h memtest86+ run.

I tried to swap modules among slots and at 800 the error is again present but at another address, but, again, at 667 there are no error after 24h memtest86+ run.

I expect with heavy load on nb the error are random...instead seems related at a specific module...

I also read at

http://www.behardware.com/articles/862-4/components-returns-rates-6.html

that my new 4x CM2X2048-6400C5 are ranked as worst memory modules with 5% return rate (but I honestly do not know the reliability of that hardware site).

Do you think this behavior is indicating a module failure??

Or is it just the funny nb at heavy load??

Thank you again for your support!!!

Best Regards from Rome :biggrin:

Andrea

Thank you for your quick reply!!!

Also thank you for support as I like not having to test all slots with all memory module!!!

I was worried to test 4_slot x 4_modules x 24h_memtest_run= 1 geological era!!!:laughing:

Best Regards from Rome!!!

Andrea

Archived