Corsair Community

DDR2700 won't run dual channel :(

mms4ba

Hi, I have this corsair ram: 2 x (80059) Corsair VS512MB333 512MB PC2700 333Mhz 184 DIMM Unbuffered It will not run dual channel, according to cpu-z: [img]http://home.comcast.net/~mms4ba/cpu-z_memory.jpg[/img] Here is the cpu-z memory .txt: Memory SPD ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Module #1 General Memory type DDR-SDRAM Manufacturer (ID) SpecTek Incorporated (7F7FB5FFFFFFFFFF) Size 512 MBytes Max bandwidth PC2700 (166 MHz) Part number Attributes Number of banks 2 Data width 64 bits Correction None Registered no Buffered no Timings table Frequency (MHz) 100 166 CAS# 2.0 2.5 RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3 RAS# Precharge 2 3 TRAS# 5 7 Module #2 General Memory type DDR-SDRAM Manufacturer (ID) SpecTek Incorporated (7F7FB5FFFFFFFFFF) Size 512 MBytes Max bandwidth PC2700 (166 MHz) Part number Attributes Number of banks 1 Data width 64 bits Correction None Registered no Buffered no Timings table Frequency (MHz) 100 166 CAS# 2.0 2.5 RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3 RAS# Precharge 2 3 TRAS# 5 7 Users on another forum suggested that since one stick has one bank and the other has two, these chips are not identical and will not run dual channel mode. Is this correct, or is there something else I can try? I have tried everything possible to get this to work, the voltage, timings, etc...nothing helps. Is this a RMA issue? If you order 2 identical part#'s you should get 2 identical chips, right? edit: I have an ABIT IC7 mobo, here is a pic of the ram (in the mobo) [img]http://home.comcast.net/~mms4ba/front_intake_after.JPG[/img]

If they're both in the blue DIMM slots, then the controller is deciding to run them in "virtual single channel" mode because the modules are not dual-channel compatable... basically, they're probably right that the modules aren't closely enough matched to run dual-channel. As for the modules themselves, I think you're mistaken because SpecTek is an actual memory company. If you need an RMA, they would be the ones to talk to! Does your memory have a Corsair sticker or other identification on it? PLUR CK P.S. Value memory is "value" memory because they're ever-changing and there's not much in the way of IC tracking. Basically, two value modules with the exact same model number can actually have different IC layouts and be basically different chips. That's why Corsair makes TwinX sets so that you get a perfectly matched set of modules that are pre-tested in dual-channel.

Thanks for the reply. As for why it is SpecTek, who knows. I ordered it from googlegear (now zipzoomfly) as corsair value memory, and still have the invoice. Maybe Corsair bought some of their value ram from ST and rebranded it Corsair? As for a corsair sticker, I'm not sure, I'll have to check when I get home from work. I understand the "value" tradeoff, however, if it won't run dual channel then it shouldn't be sold as "DDR", IMHO. Hopefully RamGuy has some suggestions...

"DDR" and "Dual-Channel" are two completely different things. DDR means Double Data Rate while Dual-Channel is a function of the mainboard's chipset in conjunction with a physical memory setup. You can read [url=http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?t=24552]this thread[/url] to learn more about dual-channel memory and watch the included link to a Corsair memory presentation for a lot of good info on DDR memory modules! As for the SpecTek question, I'll bring this thread to RAM GUY's attention! PLUR CK

Thank you, that thread cleared up my confusion. Hopefully though, Corsair might RMA this as a goodwill gesture. I looked around and see that they sell corsair value-ram in twin packs, which I assume is to match them for dual channel capability. If I had known about the difference between DDR and Dual Channel before, I would have bought the twin pack or spend more for the tested dimms :(:

Archived