Corsair Community

Corsair 64gb USB 3.0 Choppy AVCHD playback on PS3

Tr1N1tro

So I've been putting my AVCHD's on my little 8gb 5 dollar SanDisk USB 2.0 flash drive and playing them on my PS3 without any problems. I needed a bigger drive for some of my larger AVCHD videos so I bought a Corsair 64gb Voyager USB 3.0 flash drive. Now with the same files that ran PERFECT on my 8gb USB 2.0 drive, they will play for a couple seconds and then sound cuts out and video is choppy like it's a slide show. When I pause it for a few seconds it will play smoothly for a 30 seconds or so before chopping again. This is obviously a transfer speed problem or something like that, however when I transfer from my pc to the drive i'm getting approximately 70mb/s. I thought it might be the cluster size because it's default cluster size is 32768 or something like that so I backed it down to good old 4096 (which is the same cluster size as my cheap 8gb USB 2.0 drive). I know that should be slower but I thought I'd try it anyway and the results are the same. The windows 7 format will only allow for NTFS file system on this flash drive so I had to use the GUIformat program to format it FAT32. Is there a better program I should use to format the drive FAT32? My 64gb drive is a high quality drive and I'm baffled as to what to try next... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated (other than buying another device that is).

It's because I said I had a ******** isn't it! lol. Seriously though I'm not asking for "support" just wondering if anyone has any ideas? Like trying a different FAT32 formatting software or something... My PS3 has the latest software updates.

Here's a thought, what if I re-partition the flash drive to 32gb and tryed using the windows format then... Can you repartition flash drives?

Any drive greater than 32gb can only be formated as NTFS using the conventional method of formating in Windows and if you use 3rd party format software (guiformat) it will format it as fat32 but windows sees it as (exFat). As it turns out you CAN re partition a flash drive using the Windows Disk Management tool. I've tried it as a 32gb 16gb and an 8gb with the same results...

Well you can only have one partition on the flash drive that is, but the size is variable...

Archived