Corsair Community

Recommended Thermal Tape for DHX+ fins

t1nKing

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what brand thermal tape is used on the Dominator DHX+ fins, and where to get it? If not, are there are any recommended brands to use? I am just modding (I use that term loosely!) a set of fins, and the existing tape has lost its adhesion by picked up some aluminium filings/dust. So I am looking to replace it, any suggestions?

Thanks

• Corsair Employee
If the tape came off, I recommend you setup a RMA so we can replace it for you rather than attempting to get thermal tape to do it yourself, which may void the warranty if anything happens.

I believe he's talking about the removable top fins on the Dominator modules RG. There is a small ,maybe 3/16ths wide ,strip of thermal tape between the top of the modules and the fins. I don't believe he is removing the entire heat spreader.

RG - Yeah I'm not touching the spreader. I have previously removed the fins that bolt on top and now I want to reattach them, but the existing thermal tape has pickup up some dust and aluminium filings so doesn’t stick very well. Thought I would reapply some thermal tape, unless a bond isn’t required then I will just reattach as is?

My main concern was that some thermal tapes have high adhesion for direct fixing of heavy heat sinks/water blocks. I thought that if I used one of those and needed to remove the fins again, the high bond strength may make it hard to separate fins and spreader, damaging them in the process. So I was just wondering if this was a valid concern and, if so, were there any particular tapes to avoid or use?

Archived