Corsair Community

Asus P4P800-VM and RA-DDTWINX20483200/C2

Sim1626861419

I am considering buying an Asus P4P800-VM mobo and putting two sets of either TWINX2048-3200 or TWINX2048-3200C2 memory in it (yes, 4GB total). I'll be using a 3.2GHz Intel Pentium 4 Prescott CPU. Should this memory work with this mobo and CPU ? Which would be better - the C2 or the one without ? Thanks.

Yes, it should work with your CPU/mainboard and the C2 version would be better since it has lower latencies. However, you'd get a lot better overall system performance if you backed off and used only 2Gb (one TwinX2048 kit) and spent that money on a better mainboard, a non-integrated graphics card, and maybe even a better CPU ([i]all of which you can do with the cost difference[/i]). Unless you actually need 4Gb of RAM, don't get it just to have it! PLUR CK

Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually trying to build a portable server for doing software demonstrations for my work - and the 4GB is a necessity, as is a mATX motherboard to go in a small form factor case. Graphics performance isn't a priority at all. Anyone know of any dual-CPU mATX boards that have 4 memory slots, on board graphics, gigabit ethernet, and Linux driver support ? Wishful thinking I'm guessing. :rolleyes: It's a sad, sad day when my two IBM T40 ThinkPads with 2GB RAM each are no longer good enough ! Anybody making 4GB laptops yet ? :eek:

Well, good luck in your search for that holy grail! mATX boards w/ integrated graphics usually don't have all the high-end addons because they're not aimed at the enthusiast market. Also, be forewarned, I didn't see it in that mainboard's manual, but many boards will not run DDR400 when running the integrated graphics card as well, or won't do it with all four DIMM slots populated. Just watch for it. Personally, I'd suggest you just get a rack-mount server and get one of the really nice cases with a handle, then you can carry it around like a briefcase, but that'll run you a whole bundle of cash ([i]then again, if you got a server board with buffered/ECC memory and the ability to run multiple processors, it might really be up your alley, if it's on the company dollar, that is[/i]). PLUR CK

Archived