Corsair Community

Link commander failing after node flash failure?

Philip S

After bricking my cooling node with an attempt to update the firmware to 1.2.5, I now notice I have other issues. In the link software the fan speeds are incorrect, and they do not match the custom profile. I'm sure the pump reading is wrong.

H100

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff191/101_bucket_2008/corsair/corsair-setup-1.jpg

I pretty sure these fans are running near 700RPM, the are definitely nowhere near 1000RPM.

Max RPM: If I set a fan to max RPM the link software is showing it running at over 2000RPM, but these fans top out at 1200 (12cm) and 1300 (14cm).

Pump RPM: The pump is showing 2332 in the image. In SpeedFan software (with link software open too) the pump RPM jumps about: from 850 to 2500! If I shut down the link software, then SpeedFan shows the pump returning to 2000RPM (2017-2086). I'm sure my pump is not changing speed, at anything higher than 2100RPM is makes a rattling sound which I do not have.

++++

These fans used to work just fine, and I had others linked up to the cooling node I sent back.

So far I have tried to reset the Link Commander, uplugged it overnight/ a few days, and reinstalled software. Nothing seems to be working.

I could not find the [Link Commander unit] firmware to reflash.

++++

edit: 07-23-2012

They custom fan curves reset once again this morning;

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff191/101_bucket_2008/corsair/corsair-setup-2.jpg

This is getting tedious. It keeps doing this, and it's a pain to go through and reset them all. I've given up and changed them all to 'low noise': which makes the Link Commander redundant for me as all the fans are attached to the H100 which has its own built in setting for 'low noise'.

Is it time to RMA the Link Commander unit?

Here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n0zu9pachhf5hdn/MomLOhzYDp

Look in the Commander Unit Folder

Someone let me know if I committed a no no by posting this and I'll try to delete it.

Thanks Ninjaman1, I flashed the Link Commander but it did not make any difference.

Edit: My H100 disappeared after software reinstall and reboot, and come up unidentified node. I flashed it with the same firmware, but now the light does not come on, the fans are stuck on full blast, and the pump is coming up 0RPM in Speedfan yet it still seems to be working? When I flash it it gets stuck on 15% and times out?

• Corsair Employees

Please disconnect the H100 from the Link Commander and while the system is off disconnect the commander from the USB Port for about 5 Min then reconnect the USB port to the commander and leave the H100 as standalone.

See if you can see and change the profiles on the H100 when its not connected. And se eif the Link Commander will act normally with out the H100.

Please disconnect the H100 from the Link Commander and while the system is off disconnect the commander from the USB Port for about 5 Min then reconnect the USB port to the commander and leave the H100 as standalone.

See if you can see and change the profiles on the H100 when its not connected. And se eif the Link Commander will act normally with out the H100.

If this does not work, try leaving it disconnected and the computer unplugged overnight.

See if you can see and change the profiles on the H100 when its not connected. And see if the Link Commander will act normally with out the H100.

The commander seems to be OK without the H100 attached, but there is no cooling node (RMA'd) connected either, so there is not much to read. I created a couple of profiles with GPU and CPU temp icons moved about, and it saved their associated positions.

The news on the H100 is not good, it's still half a brick: no RPM through the tachometer (SpeedFan and BIOS shows '0'). The pump's lights do not come on, I cannot change profiles, and the fans are still stuck on full. It looks dead yet it still cools. Weird.

I contacted the seller and they are sending out a new one.

When the new H100 turns up, I pop it in and see what the commander makes of it, and post the results back here.

If this does not work, try leaving it disconnected and the computer unplugged overnight.

I had the same thought: I unplugged everything last night, hooked it all up again this morning but it's the same result.

I think you stated you request an RMA for the cooling node and if not that is what I would suggest.

I did, I've sent the cooling node back, and Corsair has it. Hopefully they will be sending out a replacement soon.

I think this problem is with the Link Commander unit itself, but I can't confirm until I hook up the new H100 (I also started an RMA for the H100, but the seller was quicker and has already posted a replacement unit, so I'll cancel that RMA case# 4876252).

Once I know for sure the Link Commander unit it faulty I'll ask for an RMA.

It seems everything has failed.

I did, I've sent the cooling node back, and Corsair has it. Hopefully they will be sending out a replacement soon.

I think this problem is with the Link Commander unit itself, but I can't confirm until I hook up the new H100 (I also started an RMA for the H100, but the seller was quicker and has already posted a replacement unit, so I'll cancel that RMA case# 4876252).

Once I know for sure the Link Commander unit it faulty I'll ask for an RMA.

It seems everything has failed.

Please let me know once you get your cooling node replacement and see if it was just the cooling node or the commander, so I know what to do on my end of the RMA. Thanks

The cooling node has not turned up yet, but the new H100 has! I tested it out before I installed it: the link software reconsigned it, and the readings looked correct - full control of the Corsair, and Akasa, fans.

(I also tried the air penetrator (AP121) but the claimed RPM started as 2000RPM and climbed to 6500RPM before stopping and restarting, and the software had no control over a Scythe slim - stuck on 1300RPM. I figure the H100 still doesn't like 'em.)

Everything looked good so I threw it into my system, checked it out some more, shut it down and went for a jog. When I came back I powered on my system and the link software remembered all the settings.

I shall let you know what happens when I hook up the cooling node.

Okay good news so far. Please do let us know!

More good news: the node turned up yesterday, I put it in today, and everything is back to normal. I've powered down the system for 30mins and rebooted, and the profile and custom fan curves have been saved.

The node came with 1.1.12 firmware, I think I'll avoid updating this!

• Corsair Employees

It is rare that has happened in fact yours was the first case I have personally seen where this happened.

I suspect that you just had a failing Cooling Node and the firmware update just put it in its grave, from all of the symptoms you reported.

• 2 months later...
  • Corsair Employees

I thi9nk it would be best to RMA the Corsair Link unit and lets replace everything.

Did you have a case number from the Cooing node change, if not please use the link on the left and request an RMA and let me know the case number as I would like to see the Unit you have for testing.

EDIT One thing I just noticed was that you have some fans in your system that may be rated at more than 2 Amps and if they are connected to the cooling node that may be what is causing the issue. No more than 2 amps per header and no more than 4 amps total on the cooling node.

Its been about 2+ months now. How exactly is it bricked? Did you try flashing it and get the same errors as before? My cooling nodes are working just fine.

It came up as an aero cooler, I tried to reset the cooling node (disconnecting the fans and sensors) but it did not work. Some fans were stuck on full power, and some did not spin up at all. I'd flashed the command link successfully, and thought I would flash the cooling node seeing as it did not work.

Full story (over a couple of weeks)

• Sometimes the custom fan curves would reset (like before). A bit annoying, but it seems do it after my computer had been left off for a day, so it was not resetting all the time and I could live with it.
  • Then the fans on the H100 came up all 0 RPM, but they were spinning full speed. It thought there may be a problem with my H100 so I disconnected the H100 and it seems to be working OK, and everything seemed to be stable.
  • Then the fans connected to the Cooling Node came up 0 RPM, so I knew it was not the H100. I came to the conclusion (OK, I jumped to the conclusion!) that something was wrong with the Link Commander as it was the common element. I tried resetting the Link Commander, but nothing worked.
  • I flashed the Link Commander as I didn't have anything to loose. I flashed it, and it was successful, I upgraded to v2 software. I reconnected the Cooling Node and swapped some fans about (so all the fans connected to the Cooling Node were PWM). It worked. I was feeling rather pleased with myself at this point.
  • A day later I powered on the system and the Cooling Node came up as an Aero Cooler (or something like that). One of the intake fans was not spinning, and the other fans connected to it were on full power. I disconnected it, and all the fans, and left it for a few hours. I reconnected it - the same front fan and the exhaust fan did not spin up (and checking it in software it came up as an aero cooler).
  • At this point I was figuring if I should send it back, or give up on the Link Commander. As a Hail Mary and flashed the Cooling Node. It came up with errors, and turned into a brick.
  • I reconnected the H100 to see if it would work with the new software and it did, it worked fine, but I did not trust the Link Commander (the light would alternate between green and red, and the PC would take ages to start up, and the beeps sounded odd (my workstation motherboard makes a lot of noise starting up with all kinds of beeps, and I'm familiar with the 'tune' it plays) so after a few days I disconnected it again.

Now The Link Commander is sitting in my system with nothing connected to it. All the 140mm fans use fan cable adapters and connect to 4 pin molex.

I thi9nk it would be best to RMA the Corsair Link unit and lets replace everything.

Did you have a case number from the Cooing node change, if not please use the link on the left and request an RMA and let me know the case number as I would like to see the Unit you have for testing.

The case number was #4829339.

EDIT One thing I just noticed was that you have some fans in your system that may be rated at more than 2 Amps and if they are connected to the cooling node that may be what is causing the issue. No more than 2 amps per header and no more than 4 amps total on the cooling node.

I'm aware of the power parameters on the Cooling Node, and the H100, and each of the fans are under 1 Amp.

Original set up with the H100 and Cooling Node connected (I'll leave out the manufacturers)

• H100 - 2x120mm (600-1300RPM 0.33A PWM), 2x140mm (600-1300 0.21A PWM)
  • Cooling Node - 2x140mm (600-1300 0.21A PWM), 1x180mm (700-900 0.45A), 1x120mm slim (fixed 1,200 0.17A), 4 temp sensors (the replacement cooling node came with cables, so I now have 6).

After the H100 was removed (I took the 2x140mm off the H100)

• Cooling Node - 4x140mm (600-1300 0.21A PWM)

The 180mm, and fixed 120mm (slim, 12mm thick, 1,200 RPM) where moved to the motherboard.

Archived