Corsair Community

AX850 with X79 Sabertooth: sleep = bluescreen

kandor

Hi,

I just built a system with an AX850 running win7 64bit. Upon resuming from sleep the system bluescreens. Then I read that this is a known issue with AX850's. Is there a fix or do I need to return this PSU?

Full specs:

Asus X79 sabertooth

AX850

16gb (4x4) corsair vengence

vertex4 system drive

WD 2tb storage

quadro4000 gpu

Corsair H100

Corsair 550D

Any help would be appreciated, this is a pretty expensive computer and I'm bummed that I can't use sleep.

Hi,

I posted on hardforum http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1706323 and then found these threads:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/anyone-find-a-fix-for-the-sabertooth-sleep-mode-problem-629805.html#post3623880

http://75.126.99.220/showthread.php?t=1698440

http://www.overclock.net/t/1224489/asus-p67-sabertooth-sleep-issue

Excerpt:

Update 2: Found users suspecting the PSU's to be the culprit, here are a few quotes I picked up:

"there aprears to be a problem with the +5v rail when resuming from sleep from several Corsair models... I have an AX850 that suffers from it..."

"The sleep issues had to do with the +5 VSB voltage. I just don't remember the details, but some PSU's (I think a few seasonic models) apparently didn't ramp this up to strict tolerances. But the P67/Z68 boards were the only boards that were this anal about the tolerances."

"yes, +5 was not ramping up quick enough from sleep...its the chipset (Cougar Point) thats intolerant"

"The AX series PSU are compatible with ATX 2.1-2.3 Specification. And I suspect that the MB you have supported ATX 2.03 which was the new spec at time that MB was released"

I am uncertain if any of this is accurate

UEFI does not have Sleep settings, these are all handed off to the OS where you can select what kind of sleep options you want.

Things that lead to S3 issues:

1) An overclocked system that is not completely stable.

2) Using multiple memory kits together and running them at timings that stress the IMC. Always buy a single kit at the rated density if you are looking for ease-of-use.

3) SSD firmware updates or issues with IRST drivers. Sometimes setting Hot Plug to enabled in UEFI and reverting to MS AHCI drivers helps. Some SSDs may need Hot Plug enabled also.

4) Peripheral/driver issues with low power or suspend modes. Might need a driver or firmware update.

5) PSU issues. Some Corsair AX 850 units have been known to present issues with S3 in the past.

-Raja

Yeah, i have to agree, especially since the OP in one of the links posted this

Alright so I got the ******** 1000w platinum because its way awesome and will make sure I have plenty of clean power for any future upgrade I want to do. I was hoping a side effect would be it would also solve the sleep mode problem.

It did not.

• Corsair Employees
There is no known issue with our AX SERIES PSU and any MB@!

You all need to quite spreading bad information.

Any further attempts to do that by any of you will get you banned from our forum...

If you have an issue with Sleep on any system you should be working with your MB maker before anyone else to try and help determine the cause.

My whole reply got deleted, I don't think that's ever happened to me before - I'm just trying to solve a problem - not 'spread bad information'. I've always assumed it was a mobo issue since I've had this problem with P67 chipsets as well. But then when I post about it the first response I get back is "are you using an AX850?" - then that becomes something to investigate. Not to worry - I'll look elsewhere for help.

• Corsair Employees

When you first setup the system did you load setup defaults in the BIOS setup and have you made any changes to the Power Management settings in the BIOS?

Trouble shooting these types of issues can be difficult to say the least. But I would try a fresh install of the O.S. with Defaults loaded on another HDD and do not do any updates expect what is needed to do the install and then check if S3 works. The test after each driver that you install to be sure it is not one of the drivers causing this...

And before you do anything check in the event log for logged errors and search for them at http://www.microdsoft.com/technet

I just built the system yesterday, the uefi on that board has no S3/S1 setting and I made no changes to power management in the bios. I loaded win7 64 bit, chipset drivers etc that came with the mobo and windows updates right off the bat. So all that stuff was in place prior to discovering the sleep issue.

Thanks,

I have the wake from Sleep issue with my P67 board PC, which still remains a mystery. I'd like to add some clarifications about this, given some of the partially correct, and misinformation I'm seeing here.

The failure to wake from Sleep in P67 boards did not result in a BSOD. The monitor would remain black, as if no signal was sent from the video card/system, but would not time-out due to no signal.

Windows logs never logged a BSOD event. The users that discussed this problem in mobo forums never talked about BSODs.

This problem occurred with many modern power supplies, and was not isolated to one manufacture, series, or model of PS. I tried several different makes and models of PS, with the same result. Some people claimed that changing to an older, cheaper PS fixed this issue.

The best clue about this I found was a Windows log entry that said a driver did not respond within the expected time frame.

IMO, this issue is related to UEFI/BIOS settings for S3 Sleep that were not included in the UEFI/BIOS of boards that have this issue. A Z77 board I have has a "Check Ready Bit" setting on the same screen used to configure the S3 Sleep option, which I have never seen before, and makes me wonder if it is related to this issue. That board wakes from Sleep fine every time, with that option enabled.

@ramguy, yes latest bios was installed prior to any system installation., no I havn't been able to rebuild the system to test drivers etc. I'm going to look at the ssd bios next.

@parsec, yes this is the first time I saw a system actually bsod trying to wake from sleep. I have a p67 board as well which would just show a black screen indefinitely when trying to wake. Although a much later bios update corrected that problem.

• Corsair Employees
Had a similar issue on a new Build and it turned out to to the Chipset driver had to be manually installed and I have to install the APIK driver and the system would shut down and sleep normally.

Archived