Corsair Community

CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9 with Asus P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT

MACKerMD

Hi there..

I've tried reading up first before posting, but I am still stuck and quite 'worried'about my current purchase which I haven't installed yet on purpose, in case I have to return it.

I've bought an ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT. I know this specific motherboard is not mentioned in the configurator (yet), but the -V PRO is.

Suggestion of the configurator is that I use Dual Channel Memory. Which I understand, since the mother board has Dual Channel DIMM Sockets.

However, asking the 'technician' in the store, if Quad Channel memory is backwards-compatible in this board, in case I want to upgrade the board at a later stage, re-using the memory, he claimed it would not be any problem using the CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9 4x4gb memory-kit on this specific motherboard that handles dual channel.

Question thus is: IS the memory useable -as- dual channel in this board, or will it fail ?

Are the memory dimms actually backward compatible to Dual Channel mode, knowing I cannot use the XMP option ?

Please advice, so I can sit back and relax or urge the return of the goods to the store.

Thanks.

Question thus is: IS the memory useable -as- dual channel in this board, or will it fail ?

Are the memory dimms actually backward compatible to Dual Channel mode, knowing I cannot use the XMP option ?

Yes they would function equally as well in a dual channel board. Dual, quad , or even triple channel is a function of the mother board and not the memory.

There are plenty of quad kits listed as compatible for dual channel boards and vice versa.

And yes, XMP willstill be an option. That information is coded into the modules and not the MB.

First thank you for the quick response.

It's quite a relief reading that the memory-dimms will work fine as Dual Channel in a Dual Channel MB.. I was afraid to RMA them for the -A- version. Now I can keep these for present usage and for future usage.

Still not voided the seal yet. Might be a good thing until I start building the entire system.

Archived