Corsair Community

Fan setup

PepperNinja

Hello people,

I'd like some help on my fan setup.

The stock casefans are silent enough for me.

However the H100 fans are like airplanes taking off. :p

So I'd like to replace them.

Now since I'm replacing those, I might as well replace all the fans.

Here's what I got so far.

Rear: 140 AF QE

Front: 2x 120 AF QE

Top (H100): 2x 120 SP QE or HP

My case only holds a SSD and a HDD, so I removed the top drive bay.

I think 2x 120 AF QE should be enough or would it be better to go for 2x 120 SP QE?

Fans on the H100 is another story.

I'm not planning to go all mental on my CPU OC, just some basic OC.

I'm fairly sure I'll go with 2x 120 SP fans.

But should I go with QE or HP?

Any advice is welcome.

• Corsair Employees

The fans that come with the H100 are not that loud, granted when the system first turns on they will go to full RPM but should slow to what you have the Profile set to. Mine are almost quiet on the balanced Profile.

But if you are saying the fans run at full speed all the time there may be some other issue. So let's be clear on the issue before we suggest different fans is my point.

All that I'm going to say is that I've got 2 SP120s on my H100 and they are noticeably quieter than the H100 fans (which I ran on the medium profile). They're not quite as good (about 2-3° warmer but I don't care). Also you can monitor your fans' speed and the pump's speed independently (just plug them into different motherboard headers) because there's no point in plugging the SP120 fans into the H100 pump as the pump won't control them.

Hmmmm, well this is my second H100.

Both units don't seem to respond to the profile button.

Fan speed and noise stay the same.

The first unit had the grinding noise problem. This was fixed with an extra cable and diode.

But since I also had a bad corsair memory module, I returned both items to my reseller.

Here's what I've done so far.

- Cleaned the cpu with arctic cleaner 1 & 2.

- Plugged the fans into different positions on the H100.

- Reset the H100.

- Connected the fans directly onto the motherboard, my motherboard didn't notice them, however it does notice my stock casefans (this will be motherboard related, I guess).

Extra info:

Corsair Obsidian 550D case.

Corsair AX850 PSU

Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe mobo

Lot code H100: 1239403

* Edit *

While resetting a few times I noticed something.

While the computer is on and pressing the profile button for 5 seconds, the fan connected to the first H100 port stops spinning.

After shutdown and restart while holding the profile button, the fan starts spinning again.

I have, somehow, managed to get the first fan at a slower speed, but it still didn't respond to pressing the profile button, the second fan remained at full speed.

After another reset, both fans are back at full speed and noise.

I haven't got a clue what to do next.

I'm guessing sending the unit back is my only option?

Buying arctic silver.

Sending back corsair ram, sending back H100 ... twice.

Not being able to use the machine ... again.

This is starting to get one expensive H100, I hope the next one is gold plated!

All that I'm going to say is that I've got 2 SP120s on my H100 and they are noticeably quieter than the H100 fans (which I ran on the medium profile). They're not quite as good (about 2-3° warmer but I don't care). Also you can monitor your fans' speed and the pump's speed independently (just plug them into different motherboard headers) because there's no point in plugging the SP120 fans into the H100 pump as the pump won't control them.

Agreed. replaced the stock Corsairs fans with Sp120 Quiet fans...Much quieter but 2 degrees warmer. Ill take that trade anyday. ;-)

• Corsair Employees

It does sound like the fan controller itself is causing the issue. I think its best to get the unit replaced. Submit an RMA request and since this is going to be your 2nd replacement, I would contact our customer service and see if you can make some arrangement regarding shipping fees.

Or you can always replace the stocks fans with the SP120 quiet fans... as suggested above.

Archived