Corsair Community

Is this possible??

Manticore-X

Hey, I just bought a hydrocool for a comp im building. Im new to water cooled systems so my plan was to have both an Athlon 64 FX-53 and a BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC with a waterblock both hooked up to it. After reading more im having doubts if this is possible. Will it be? or will i need to just put the watercooler on the GPU and leave the CPU cooled by air? If this is possible can you please tell me how. Thanks

The Hydrocool is rated to remove 200 watts of heat. The Athlon 64-FX chips are right around 100 watts with the 6800 putting out 110. That’s a little over 200 watts when they are both at full throttle. You will be pushing the limits of Hydrocool when you use the combination. My previous combination of the Hydrocool with a 2.6C @ 3.64 ghz in combination with a NB and GPU block on an ATI 9800 XT oc’d had no problems. However when I swapped to a 2.8E Prescott @ 3.5 my CPU temps were a bit high under full load @ 45C. The Hydrocool should have no problem cooling both your CPU and GPU but your temps might not be that low.

So, would it be wise to put it directly on the GPU(this is more important to me than the processor) and just use a heatsink and fans with the processor? Or should i try it on both. I could always switch it just to the GPU if I first set it up with both right? Also how would I set this up? Would i put it with Y tubing or w/e or would i set them in a line? Thanks a lot for responding SpDFre@k

I used to recommend the Y adapter thing but after doing some more research I really don't think it would be right for allot of people. You need blocks that will both apply the same amount of back pressure and you'll be cutting the flow to both. As it is you'll be over the advertised limits before you overclock. The best thing I'd say is to install a second radiator between the processor and the GPU. If you hang it on the back of the case you may not have to do much case modification and you could run the hoses out to it so that you have no extra connections that could leak inside the case. If it wont see much air flow you'll want a slightly bigger one like maybe a dual 120 radiator. If it'll see direct air flow maybe only a single 120mm radiator. If you plan to overclock as you said I might go with the dual 120mm either way.

I think what i am going to do because i am a noob to most of this is just cool and overclock my GPU. I dont really have the knowlage or skill to do any hard modding or anything. I didnt really plan to overclock my CPU, or at least not soon so I think just a heatsink will work good enough for now. If really needed I guess I could speed up my learning and add the things if needed. Is adding an extra radiator hard? If it isnt too expensive and it isnt horribly difficult I might try that. Well Thanks for the help so far. Any other input would be great.

Archived