Corsair Community

550D Foam smell and heatsink height?

CrazyGuy

Hello,

I'm really wanting to get the 550D! It looks like a really great case but I have a few questions first.

I've seen a few people mention the sound dampening foam has a sort of funny smell to it and when you turn on the PC the fans blow it out into the room and fill the room with a funny smell... How bad is this? And does it ever go away?

And does anyone have a measurement for how tall the VRM heatsinks can be on your motherboard to be able to still fit the H100 with a single set of fans?

Thanks for any help you can give,

-CG

Haven't heard of issues with the sound dampening foam smell, If it does happen, Open up some windows to move the smell away, It would probably be that fresh out of production smell. If it doesn't go away after a few days or weeks, Get the case replaced.

Thanks for the reply.

That does indeed make me feel a bit better, as I've never had a case with sound dampening foam before.

Apparently the H100 does fit as I have found a thread about it on the forums here.

Off to order it right now :-)

-CG

• 2 weeks later...
I have an Alienware system that had the sound dampening material inside and I only smelled it occasionally the first few weeks when I would open the case. The materials isn't dense enough to hold the smell for very long.

Thanks for the replies I thought I would post an update!

I've got my 550D and I love it, of course it wouldn't hurt to have a little bit more cable management room but aside from that its the best case I have ever had.

The foam did/does have a tiny smell to it but you cannot tell its there most of the time however I did notice that the front panel was the worst of all the panels to have it.

I've got a NF-P14 on the rear, a NF-P14 on the floor two NF-P12 on the H100 and two NF-P12 on the front all of them with voltage reducers. And the temps are great only have the roof sound panel thingy removed for the rad of course.

I see about 62C on the CPU and 65C on the GPU.

Does anyone know what the long screws with tiny amounts of thread are for? I was guessing they are screws for a rad but they seemed kind of long for that and they are not mentioned on the list of screws on the back of the 550D manual.

-CG

Does anyone know what the long screws with tiny amounts of thread are for? I was guessing they are screws for a rad but they seemed kind of long for that and they are not mentioned on the list of screws on the back of the 550D manual.

-CG

sounds like the screws for mounting fans to the hdd cages.

Archived