Corsair Community

ABit AV8 and TWINX1024-3200LLPRO???

utherPh

I just picked up a bundle from NewEgg with AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 ABit AV8 VIA K8T800 Pro Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO (two CMX512-3200LLPRO modules) eVGA 6800 GT XP Professional I am getting intermittant crashes to the desktop and reboots, primarily running Doom3. Doom3 is crashing after 10 minutes or so. Far Cry is crashing almost immediately. Internet Explorer is also having occasional trouble. I have updated the motherboard BIOS, got all the new drivers, and updated XP. I have tried running the memory at 2.5-3-2-6-2.65 volts and 2.5-3-3-7-2.8 volts to no avail. Did I make a mistake getting the TWINX1024-3200LLPRO??? Are there other settings I should try? Thanks!!

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the Dim Voltage set to 2.7X Volts and I would test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and let's make sure one is not failing! In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for CPU and memory and if you have any of the performance options set in the bios as well!

[quote name='RAM GUY']Please make sure that you have the Dim Voltage set to 2.7X Volts and I would test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and let's make sure one is not failing! In addition, pleas tell me the bios settings you have set for CPU and memory and if you have any of the performance options set in the bios as well![/QUOTE] I set the DRAM voltage back to 2.7 and am running memtest86+ now. How many passes should I run? Here are all the BIOS settings for CPU and DRAM CPU AMD Athlon 64 FX-53, Freq 2400 External Clock 200/66/33 (down from mobo default of 204/66/33) Multiplier Factor x12 (default) AGP Ratio Fixed Voltages (all default except DRAM) CPU Core 1.5 AGP 1.55 DDR SDRAM 2.7 (up from default of 2.65) NB 1.55 SB 2.5 Hypertransport 1.2 DRAM (default except where noted) Current FSB 200 Current DRAM 200 DRAM Clock DDR400 DRAM Command Rate 1T CAS Latency 2.5 RAS# to CAS# Delay 3 Min RAS# Active Time 7 (up from 6) RAS# Precharge Time 3 (up from 2) Row Cycle Time 11 Row Refresh Cycle Time 13 RAS# toe RAS# Delay 2 Write Recovery Time 3 Write to Read Delay 2 Read to Write Delay 3 I think that covers all of the settings related to CPU and Memory. The only other change I have is that I disabled the on board SATA Raid. I have a single WD 10,000 rpm Raptor 74MB drive. I will report back later with the memtest results. Thanks again!

[quote name='RAM GUY']You have Rass to Cass listed 2 times, please make sure this is set to "3" and let memtest run at least 2 or 3 passes![/QUOTE] There are two different settings in the BIOS RAS# to CAS# Delay 3 (default I think) and RAS# to RAS# Delay 2 (default) Should the RAS# to RAS# Delay also be 3?? I have run memtest on the individual modules and go no errors in more than 5 passes with settings of 2.5-3-3-7 and 2.7 volts. I am now running memtest on both together (duel) and have no errors after one pass - I will let the test continue for 3 or more passes.

• Corsair Employee
Please refer to page 3-16 of your manual and you can use this as a reference! With this MB I would suggest you set the Rass to Cass to "3" so I would set these timings and then set the Dim Voltage to +.2 or 2.7 Volts: [B]CAS Latency CL=2.0[/B] Row Cycle Time tRC [B]Bios Default[/B] Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC [B]Bios Default[/B] [B]Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3 [/B] Row to Row delay [B]Bios Default[/B] [B]Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 11 [/B] [B]Row Precharge Time tRP 2[/B] Write Recovery Time [B]Bios Default[/B] Write to Read delay [B]Bios Default[/B] Read to Write Delay [B]Bios Default[/B] Refresh Period tREF [B]Bios Default[/B] Enable 2T Timing [B]Disabled[/B] Then test the system with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and make sure it's stable! If you have problems, I would set Enable 2T Timings to AUTO and test it again!

[quote name='RAM GUY']Please refer to page 3-16 of your manual and you can use this as a reference! With this MB I would suggest you set the Rass to Cass to "3" so I would set these timings and then set the Dim Voltage to +.2 or 2.7 Volts: [B]CAS Latency CL=2.0[/B] Row Cycle Time tRC [B]Bios Default[/B] Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC [B]Bios Default[/B] [B]Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3 [/B] Row to Row delay [B]Bios Default[/B] [B]Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 11 [/B] [B]Row Precharge Time tRP 2[/B] Write Recovery Time [B]Bios Default[/B] Write to Read delay [B]Bios Default[/B] Read to Write Delay [B]Bios Default[/B] Refresh Period tREF [B]Bios Default[/B] Enable 2T Timing [B]Disabled[/B] Then test the system with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and make sure it's stable! If you have problems, I would set Enable 2T Timings to AUTO and test it again![/QUOTE] RAM Guy, Thanks for all your input! I am continuing to test and making progress. I will report back later with my final setup. Cheers!

[quote name='RAM GUY']Please let me know either way how you make out![/QUOTE] RAM Guy After a week of tweaking, the only got the system to be really stable going back to DDR333 single channel. I am currently using 2T 2.5-3-2-6 with 2.7 volts and I can run Doom3 for hours without a problem. All the variations I tried with DDR400 dual channel failed after a short time (0-10 minutes). There are many posts on the Abit forum regarding instabilities with the AV8 motherboard. A BIOS update is expected soon, but I have no idea if it will help me. Would I have been better off with the 3200XL memory rather than the 3200LL memory? Cheers, and thanks again for your help!

• Corsair Employee
These modules should run great in this MB, I would suggest you test them one at a time and make sure one is not failing! If they both have problems I would look for some other cause, like a bad or weak PSU, CPU or MB!

Archived