Corsair Community

Dominator stick just died-can't find receipt (Aust)

svjones

Hello all. I built a new system recently and gave away my 2008 PC to some of my grandchildren here in Perth, Western Australia. Apart from a TX750 (I upgraded to an AX850 in the new build I love Corsair PSUs), I had twin 2GB sticks of Dominator DDR2 (TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF G) of which one caused the system to fail to boot yesterday (after 4 years). I swapped the sticks around and found that if I removed one, it would boot to OS on the other. Replacing the bad stick in any of 4 available slots caused non-boot and beeps. = bad stick.

Now, I bought this from Austin Computers here in Perth back in 2008 but cannot find the receipt. I have the glossy leaflet though with the sticker showing the serial number and two bar codes, along with the full description which is longer than that on the stick.

My question is. I was going to buy some legacy RAM at this speed from Ebay, but then realised that these sticks have a lifetime warranty. Will Corsair honour the warranty even though I have lost the receipt? Can Corsair trace the stick to me from the serial number? I am willing to sign a Statutory Declaration or equivalent to prove I purchased it, and I do have the sticker with the serial number and other numbers and bar codes on it. It would be great if Corsair could replace this stick as the fans still work and the other stick works. My grandkids would be very happy too.

Thank you

I was hoping a Corsair staffer would give me something definitive. Regardless, I don't have my receipt but *I* bought it and have owned it since then. In your words, I'm the end user (unless you count my grandkids, but I gave it to them...)

So, what do I do? Go ahead with an RMA?

absolutely! use the link on the left. you will have to send both sticks to get a matching pair back.

if you need to have the PC up and running in the meantime you can call customer service (with SKYPE if needed) and arrange an advanced replacement once you get an RMA# emailed to you.

if you provide your case# here that you are assigned during the RMA process maybe Ram Guy can speed things up for you on Monday.

good luck!

Well, I applied for an RMA from Corsair and it was accepted. Before I printed the label and sent it off, I thought I would try a few final manipulations of the PC so I went over to my daughter's place and loaded the BIOS (pre-UEFI, but pretty good all the same) with "failsafe" and then with "optimal", inserted both sticks in respective slots and fired it up - and it WORKED! This was on Sunday, it's now Thursday here in Aus and it's been hammered by my oldest grandson since, non-stop (he managed to finish Borderlands - gonna try him on Prototype next). It's still working so I guess it was a BIOS glitch and not the Corsair sticks. Well done Corsair (and any idea from anyone what it might have been, and are the sticks ok on the current evidence?)

Now, how do I cancel the RMA which Corsair has so kindly started up for me? Clearly the sticks work and if there are any further problems, I will be replacing the MB not the memory.

Archived