Corsair Community

My Bad, Win 7 will not allow driver installation

Rondoman

I emailed RAM GUY because I am new here and was not familiar with the procedure. Here is the dilemma:

I am sure this problem is of my making. After initial installation of Win7 x 64 and drivers went without a hitch on my Corsair CSSD-F60GB3A with AHCI BIOS setting, I tried repeatedly to update ATI 3000 onboard chip drivers to accept my 1680 x 1050 monitor resolution, a common problem. Apparently, repeated attempts at fixing this corrupted the registry and attempts to use the Catalyst program went south with error messages. I decided to do a clean erase with Parted Magic and install again with BIOS, as before, set to AHCI. Win7 x 64 again installed with no problems, but I cannot install any drivers or programs because I keep getting the error message that "This file cannot be installed with this version of Windows, blah, blah, blah." Would erasing the drive under the AHCI setting have caused this, or is it a firmware issue or something else? This is my first SSD drive, and I am in uncharted territory here. Thanks.

I did not realize that I had not checked the drive that I needed to erase, so the message I received that the operation was complete was bogus. When I ran Parted Magic again and tried to perform secure erase I got this error message: Unfortunately, the selected drive's Security State is set to frozen (a safe-guard action performed by the computer's BIOS at Boot). The Security Erase command cannot be performed.

Apparently, the BIOS had reset from AHCI to IDE-->AHCI and was causing the error. I have seen this BIOS also switch the drive order after I have been changing other values. Secure Erase was apparently performed by Parted Magic after the drive mode correction and was indicated as such. I was, however, not expecting the 2 second erase that was recorded. I certainly hope that this fixes the issue. I now think that my re-installation problem was due to garbage that had not been removed because of my failure to check the drive for secure erase and simply assumed the operation was done. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I get the same response that the version of the software is not compatible. I am stumped, since this is the same Win7 x 64 graphics file that I installed before. I also am unable to install LAN or anything else. :confused:

Yup. I made no changes and verified several times that the 64 bit drivers are what I have. They are the same ones that I used in the initial installation that went without a hitch. Win 7 had no complaints as to the procedure I followed.

Yes, I have tried that site as well as BIOStar TW site. The problem is that there is a fundamental identification problem with the version of the operating system. I don't want to eliminate possibilities, but I really think it is related to the erasing procedure that somehow masks the identity of the OS by not fully restoring the drive integrity. I had tried just re-installing without drive secure erase and got the same results. The computer simply will not accept anything after the Win7 re-installation. I cannot even go on line because I cannot get LAN drivers to install. This is not an emergency situation, so there is no panic. This is my first time with both SSD and Win 7, and I want to get it all right. From what I have seen , I prefer XP Pro layout on my other computer. I just wanted to take full advantage of the SSD capabilities. I realize here that, so far, I am really just "kicking the tires" on this one to find a solution..

If you are having problems with the drivers, I'd suggest you contact the creator of the driver and ask for assistance. So for the HD3000 on-board driver, Contact AMD.

For the LAN drivers, Use Device Manager to install the drivers.

To do this,

First extract the files from the .zip to your desktop. You can do this by using any archive extracting program eg. 7zip.

Start Menu> type Device Manager> Expand "Network Adapters>Right click the entry>Update Driver Software>Browse my computer for driver software>Then find your folder. The folder with the x64 drivers is here.

\7.037\WIN7\64

Device Manager should now install the drivers for you.

Back to the original point. I had everything installed and working. I have put many computers together and never had any problem. The first installation worked perfectly. Unfortunately, a point I left out, I installed it as an IDE-->SATA system and realized that trim would not work that way. I re-installed it as AHCI and also had no problems except that, as the first time, the HD3000 package did not seem to support the 1680x1050 resolution needed on my Samsung Syncmaster T220HD monitor. After inquiring at tech support from AMD, I was told that the BIOStar Taiwan drivers had the needed support. I tried that package, and got no option for the 1680x1050 resolution. Following that, experimenting with the driver packages apparently corrupted the Catalyst program; and I did a secure erase followed by the re-installation of Windows 7. I decided that I would just install the latest graphics package I had used before and wait until there was positive confirmation that an updated version would supply the needed support. That is when the error messages began that the files were not compatible with my version of Windows. I did secure erase again with the same result. No method of installation works. Expanding the files does not help. The LAN package is executable, and Win7 does not even recognize it, either as a simple double-click install or going through Device Manager and choosing option to update driver from a particular folder on Desktop. Win 7 is installed, but everything else is dead-in-the-water. No other files of any kind will install except the NET framework from Microsoft.

I am going to try an XP installation on it just to see if I can get drivers to install. I did discover that I need to set the Corsair as a non-boot drive in order to do a secure erase from Parted Magic. That way, the drive is not locked in boot up. I tried unplugging and re-plugging the SSD power and then running Parted Magic, but the drive is then not recognized. My main complaint is with AMD that does not have the needed drivers for my monitor. Even nVidia has updated their GEforce 6100 package on my working computer to include the 1680 x 1050 resolution. Unless the situation changes, I probably will try to stay with nVidia. Since ATI is now owned by AMD, the nVidia chip relationship may be terminated by AMD soon.

I decided just to give up. After having used Parted Magic to no avail and using Win 7 installation DVD to delete partitions and re-partition to suit Win 7, the results were the same. I am just going the RMA route. For some reason this puppy just will not wake up to install anything after Win 7 goes without a hitch. Since I could not find anyone on the net who has had a similar problem, I knew I was just flailing the air on this one. I probably will not try to install again on a replacement until I get an nVidia card to suit my monitor. In my opinion, company buy-outs like AMD buying ATI rarely benefit the consumer. :sigh!: Thanks for everyone's input.

• Corsair Employees
Unfortunately, the selected drive's Security State is set to frozen (a safe-guard action performed by the computer's BIOS at Boot). The Security Erase command cannot be performed.

That is normal as explained in the sticky all you have to do is HOT Plug the SSD or let the system go to standby if it gives you that option. I would try Parted Magic again when you get that message just click okay and exit back to the Parted Magic Desk top. The Unplug the Power to the drive then the data and plug the data back in after about 30 Seconds and then the power and run Secure erase again.

Archived