Corsair Community

Sudden High Temperatures after a few weeks with the H60

squal429

Ok, to start off, I got my H60 as a replacement for my old H50, since they don't make the H50 anymore.

My temps when I got the H60 were AMAZING. Running Idle at 30 degrees and max load on my CPU hitting about 50 degrees.

When I'd play games such as Aion, my temps would sometimes go to 38 degrees when playing in populated areas. NOW outta freakin' nowhere my Temps are like hitting 60 in areas that aren't even populated!!

My CPU specs are shown in my profile or whatever. (I"m new here so I just put my specs down when I registered.)

My i7 950 is overclocked. Here's my overclocking Profile.

Keep in mind I'm using an ASUS P6X58D Premium Board.

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual

CPU Ratio Setting - 23.0

Intel® SpeedStep Tech - Disabled

Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode - Enabled

BCLK Frequency - 157

PCIE Frequency - 100

DRAM Frequency - DDR3 - 1259Mhz

UCLK Frequency - 2519MHz

QPI Link Data Rate - Auto

CPU Voltage Control - Manual

CPU Voltage - 1.225

CPU PLL Voltage - 1.80

QPI /DRAM Core Voltage - 1.25

IOH Voltage - 1.14

IOH PCIE Voltage - 1.50

DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.64

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA - Auto

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA - Auto

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB - Auto

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB - Auto

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC - Auto

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC - Auto

Load-Line Calibration - Enabled

CPU Differential Amplitude - 800mV

CPU Clock Skew - Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum - Disabled

IOH Clock Skew - Auto

PCIE Spread Spectrum - Disabled

C1E Support - Disabled

Hardware Prefetcher - Enabled

Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch - Enabled

Intel ® Virtualization Tech - Disabled

CPU TM Function - Enabled

Execute Disable Bit - Enabled

Intel ® HT Technology - Enabled

Active Processor Cores - All

A20M - Disabled

Intel ® SpeedStep Tech - Disabled

Intel ® C-STATE Tech - Disabled

If there's anything I'm doing wrong, please tell me.

I'm getting really fed up with this temperature problems. I dunno if it's my motherboard or what anymore. Because now my Stock Temps even are around the 40's now.

WTF is going on...?

Thanks in Advance.

Put a torch or something that make light behind one side of the radiator and look through the other side. You should be able to see the dust. 60C is a normal temp while playing games.

What is the current fan config? Is it pulling air from the outside of the case or exhausting the case air?

Put a torch or something that make light behind one side of the radiator and look through the other side. You should be able to see the dust. 60C is a normal temp while playing games.

What is the current fan config? Is it pulling air from the outside of the case or exhausting the case air?

Call me a noob but I dunno how to check, if it's intake or not. I think it's intake because the Corsair logo is against the Radiator.

And this isn't normal for me, because I never hit these temps until now... The pumps RPM is 4800 something and the fan is 2000 RPM or it might be the other way around but yeah that's what it shows in the BIOS

Call me a noob but I dunno how to check, if it's intake or not.

Normally there are two arrows on a fan which show the direction of airflow and rotation. If you can't find those just look for the side where you can see the cables leading to the motor - usually this is the 'exhaust' side. ;):

If it means anything, when I put my hand to the back of the case I feel air kinda sucking in a bit. I don't really feel any air blow at all when my hand is hovering over the back of the case, only when it's right against it.

Ok I cleaned out the back, of dust. (Yes there was dust there.) The fan also IS intake. My Temps haven't seemed to change much at alL!! What in the hell is wrong? My idle Temps on my main Core is 40c

I'm about to explode because it seems I can never achieve these "29 degree or 19 degree" Idle temperatures. I'm starting to think they are just a myth.

Someone please tell me what's wrong here...

I'm about to explode because it seems I can never achieve these "29 degree or 19 degree" Idle temperatures. I'm starting to think they are just a myth.

Actually most of them are sensor misreading. Even with the best water cooling you can't get temps but a few degrees below ambient. I have the same board and it never reads correctly. *shrugs*

check the 4 screws and make sure they havent came loose. When I first had my 50 my temps went up after about 3 days.. checked everything and found that 3 of the 4 screws holding things down were loose, tightened those puppies up and temps went back to where they should be.

How long have you had your H60? When did you install it? Was it in the fall or winter? I'm using three H60's now, and since it's summer, all my idle temps have gone up with the room temperature. Completely normal. Plus its been very hot here lately, and even with AC the room temp will be 80F at times. You can't compare summer CPU temps to cooler seasons.

Next, the summer heat affects ALL your PC parts. What is you video cards temp? Everything in my PC is running warmer due to the summer temps. That can affect the CPU temp. Has your mother board temperature changed?

How did you clean your radiator?

Frankly, if you can't tell the difference between the radiator fan speed and the pumps speed, you have some studying to do. It could be something as simple as the fan speed changing, how are you controlling the fan speed? All CPUs don't run at the same idle or load temperature, which is CPU 101 material. You can't simply compare temps, you need to know all the details of the PC, CPU, cooling, OC, etc. What frequency is your CPU OC'd to?

IMO, it's the (still) dirty radiator, summer temperatures, or something that changed in your PC that you are taking for granted as having no affect. Did you update the BIOS? Add any new parts to the PC? Are your case fans dirty too? Filters for case fans? Others have mentioned other obvious possibilities.

If you are OCing a i7-900 series CPU, you need to be able to live with high CPU temperatures. You have many of the higher power settings for the CPU enabled or set to high levels, and all of the power saving options are disabled. Given all that and your OC, I'm surprised you are getting a 40C "main core" (??) temperature, which is not bad. You also need to know enough about how your PC hardware works to check things yourself and figure out any issues if you OC a CPU like an i7-950.

How long have you had your H60? When did you install it? Was it in the fall or winter? I'm using three H60's now, and since it's summer, all my idle temps have gone up with the room temperature. Completely normal. Plus its been very hot here lately, and even with AC the room temp will be 80F at times. You can't compare summer CPU temps to cooler seasons.

Next, the summer heat affects ALL your PC parts. What is you video cards temp? Everything in my PC is running warmer due to the summer temps. That can affect the CPU temp. Has your mother board temperature changed?

How did you clean your radiator?

Frankly, if you can't tell the difference between the radiator fan speed and the pumps speed, you have some studying to do. It could be something as simple as the fan speed changing, how are you controlling the fan speed? All CPUs don't run at the same idle or load temperature, which is CPU 101 material. You can't simply compare temps, you need to know all the details of the PC, CPU, cooling, OC, etc. What frequency is your CPU OC'd to?

IMO, it's the (still) dirty radiator, summer temperatures, or something that changed in your PC that you are taking for granted as having no affect. Did you update the BIOS? Add any new parts to the PC? Are your case fans dirty too? Filters for case fans? Others have mentioned other obvious possibilities.

If you are OCing a i7-900 series CPU, you need to be able to live with high CPU temperatures. You have many of the higher power settings for the CPU enabled or set to high levels, and all of the power saving options are disabled. Given all that and your OC, I'm surprised you are getting a 40C "main core" (??) temperature, which is not bad. You also need to know enough about how your PC hardware works to check things yourself and figure out any issues if you OC a CPU like an i7-950.

I got my H60 about maybe last month, my GPU temps hit as high as 70 degrees if something is really intensive, but I was told the GTX 400 series runs hot. My BIOS is up to date, no new PC parts, I have no compressed air right now, so I cleaned the radiator with an anti-static, dust attracting cloth, no filters for the case fans, only on the front and bottom of the PSU, The BIOS temps read as low as 30 degrees before booting into Windows for both Mobo and CPU, and the Radiator FAN is plugged into CPU_FAN01 and the pump in another port. The RPM for the fan is 1800-2000RPM and the Pump being 4000-5000 RPM. I'm using Real Temp to check my TEmperatures. I have also tried SpeedFan but it kinda eats up ram sometimes.

Also I have no fan controllers on. All fans are at 100%.

First of all: it is physically impossible to get a lower temperature than ambient with a small water cooling like the H40.

To get below that you'd need to get a bigger water cooling (aka self build) and a 'chiller' or KoKü (as it is called here ;):). But this is hard to get, expensive, noisy, and really not worth it.

I have no compressed air right now

Then you know what to get ;):

Thankfully one of my neighbors got a portable compressor for airbrush which i can use sometimes. :D:

To get below that you'd need to get a bigger water cooling (aka self build) and a 'chiller' or KoKü (as it is called here ). But this is hard to get, expensive, noisy, and really not worth it.
I'll agree to expensive, but i can guarantee you my full loop is dead quiet. It's like anything else..if you cheap out on a pump, then chances are it's going to be noisy. But the better ones are dead silent.

To give you an idea about variations in temperature sensor readings - my EVGA X58 mobo has an LED CPU temp readout that reads 27deg Celsius right now - and my room is at 27C ambient...

However, RealTemp tells me that my overclocked i7-920 is spanning 34-40C across its cores. That's a 7 to 13C variation and I'm more inclined to believe the RealTemp program than something that tells me I'm at the same temp as ambient!

Using an H60 with 2 fans in push/pull rear exhaust, my system (in PC specs drop down) has been running O/C'd from 2.77 to 3.8GHz for several months without issue.

When I ran Prime95 to stress my system it passed at 72C peak temp. 3DMark Vantage sees a peak of 70C. I used the stock pre-applied TIM and the system had been running for 2 years at stock clocks before I decided to overclock it.

I play all the latest titles (Crysis 2, Metro 2033, BF3, etc) at max quality on a 1920x1080 monitor and my SLI GTX 580s reach 72C at the most.

My system has filters over all intakes and gets blasted with a Metro Data-Vac Air Duster every 2 weeks whether it needs it or not.

IMHO, clean everything with compressed air (you will easily save money in the long run if you get something similar to what I use) check your mounting screws & bolts and run Prime95 again.

Post your ambient temp, idle temp spread, and Prime95 temp spread - and we can discuss the results further.

To give you an idea about variations in temperature sensor readings - my EVGA X58 mobo has an LED CPU temp readout that reads 27deg Celsius right now - and my room is at 27C ambient...

However, RealTemp tells me that my overclocked i7-920 is spanning 34-40C across its cores. That's a 7 to 13C variation and I'm more inclined to believe the RealTemp program than something that tells me I'm at the same temp as ambient!

Using an H60 with 2 fans in push/pull rear exhaust, my system (in PC specs drop down) has been running O/C'd from 2.77 to 3.8GHz for several months without issue.

When I ran Prime95 to stress my system it passed at 72C peak temp. 3DMark Vantage sees a peak of 70C. I used the stock pre-applied TIM and the system had been running for 2 years at stock clocks before I decided to overclock it.

I play all the latest titles (Crysis 2, Metro 2033, BF3, etc) at max quality on a 1920x1080 monitor and my SLI GTX 580s reach 72C at the most.

My system has filters over all intakes and gets blasted with a Metro Data-Vac Air Duster every 2 weeks whether it needs it or not.

IMHO, clean everything with compressed air (you will easily save money in the long run if you get something similar to what I use) check your mounting screws & bolts and run Prime95 again.

Post your ambient temp, idle temp spread, and Prime95 temp spread - and we can discuss the results further.

Haha, yeah. I just need to get some compressed air first. XD

I'll agree to expensive, but i can guarantee you my full loop is dead quiet. It's like anything else..if you cheap out on a pump, then chances are it's going to be noisy. But the better ones are dead silent.

Looks like my english got a bit 'rusty'... I wasn't talking about the pump (although you're absolutely right with the statement itself) ;): - a 'chiller' or KoKü (Kompressor Kühlung) is 'compressor cooling'.

My mistake was that i thought 'chiller' was the expression for 'compressor cooling'. Well, now i know an additional english term... :D:

squal429, I see you have an ASUS X58 mother board. The following is a FYI or theory for you, given my experience with my ASUS P67 mother board.

But questions for you first, did you change the temp monitoring software you used lately, and/or did a BIOS update lately? If so, then the following may be an explanation.

My CPU temps (i7-2600K) were great using a H60. Then after a UEFI/BIOS update, my CPU temps DROPPED ~10C at idle or load. That was as shown by the ASUS hardware monitoring program, AI Suite II. BTW, this was a single CPU temperature, or CPU case temperature, not core temps.

I was getting sub-ambient temps at idle, ridiculously low like 14C (57 F), or even dips into single digit C temps, less than 50 F. I new this was wrong, so I flashed the UEFI back to the previous version. Sure enough, my CPU temps returned to their previous values (mid 20's C at idle, SpeedStep and C-States enabled), with an ambient temp of ~70 F (in late winter, early spring.)

I flashed back to the newest UEFI, and the CPU temps in AI Suite II dropped ~10C again. So I ran my old favorite monitoring program HWiNFO64 to see what is would show. It shows individual core temps, and actually several single CPU temps, since multiple sensors/temp data are available from the CPU and the boards monitoring chips.

HWiNFO showed my normal CPU temps, and the core temps seemed correct. I also noticed one extra CPU temp that exactly matched the crazy-low one shown in AI Suite. I posted some questions on HWiNFO's forum, and learned that reading was usually taken from the CPU socket sensor, if one existed, but was also a value that could easily be manipulated by software.

I then learned that some users of ASUS P67 boards, that used the stock Intel CPU cooler, were complaining about the CPU temp shown in the UEFI. When in the UEFI, none of the CPU power saving options were activated, and the UEFI put a fairly heavy load on one core of the CPU. So those users were seeing CPU temps in the high 40's to low 50's C in the UEFI, which they considered to be a low load CPU situation. Many users complained about this in their forums, which they blamed on the board for some reason.

I created a support ticket about this issue with ASUS tech support, which they acknowledged receiving, but I never heard from them again.

So the conclusion I came to, which I cannot really prove, is that they changed the temp reading in their UEFI (the actual code that works with the hardware monitoring chip on the board) to stop all the complaints. Only their AI Suite software and the UEFI will show the falsely low CPU temps. Third party programs still showed the correct temps, and some had both of them available. Later I heard this CPU temp reading reduction happened with other models of their Intel 6-series chipset boards.

So have they done this CPU temperature reading change on more or all of their current boards? I don't know. But if you were using the ASUS software (that may show a falsely low CPU temp) and changed to a program that shows the correct (but higher) CPU temp, then I'm sure you get what I am saying.

My i7-930 CPU with a H60, with SpeedStep and C-states enabled (CPU running at 1.6GHz when they activate) runs at best in the high 20's C at idle. The cores are always in the mid 30's C at best, and are in the low 40's C when any load kicks in for a while, and the CPU runs at 2.8 - 3.0 GHz, its rated stock clock and turbo speeds.

squal429, I see you have an ASUS X58 mother board. The following is a FYI or theory for you, given my experience with my ASUS P67 mother board.

But questions for you first, did you change the temp monitoring software you used lately, and/or did a BIOS update lately? If so, then the following may be an explanation.

My CPU temps (i7-2600K) were great using a H60. Then after a UEFI/BIOS update, my CPU temps DROPPED ~10C at idle or load. That was as shown by the ASUS hardware monitoring program, AI Suite II. BTW, this was a single CPU temperature, or CPU case temperature, not core temps.

I was getting sub-ambient temps at idle, ridiculously low like 14C (57 F), or even dips into single digit C temps, less than 50 F. I new this was wrong, so I flashed the UEFI back to the previous version. Sure enough, my CPU temps returned to their previous values (mid 20's C at idle, SpeedStep and C-States enabled), with an ambient temp of ~70 F (in late winter, early spring.)

I flashed back to the newest UEFI, and the CPU temps in AI Suite II dropped ~10C again. So I ran my old favorite monitoring program HWiNFO64 to see what is would show. It shows individual core temps, and actually several single CPU temps, since multiple sensors/temp data are available from the CPU and the boards monitoring chips.

HWiNFO showed my normal CPU temps, and the core temps seemed correct. I also noticed one extra CPU temp that exactly matched the crazy-low one shown in AI Suite. I posted some questions on HWiNFO's forum, and learned that reading was usually taken from the CPU socket sensor, if one existed, but was also a value that could easily be manipulated by software.

I then learned that some users of ASUS P67 boards, that used the stock Intel CPU cooler, were complaining about the CPU temp shown in the UEFI. When in the UEFI, none of the CPU power saving options were activated, and the UEFI put a fairly heavy load on one core of the CPU. So those users were seeing CPU temps in the high 40's to low 50's C in the UEFI, which they considered to be a low load CPU situation. Many users complained about this in their forums, which they blamed on the board for some reason.

I created a support ticket about this issue with ASUS tech support, which they acknowledged receiving, but I never heard from them again.

So the conclusion I came to, which I cannot really prove, is that they changed the temp reading in their UEFI (the actual code that works with the hardware monitoring chip on the board) to stop all the complaints. Only their AI Suite software and the UEFI will show the falsely low CPU temps. Third party programs still showed the correct temps, and some had both of them available. Later I heard this CPU temp reading reduction happened with other models of their Intel 6-series chipset boards.

So have they done this CPU temperature reading change on more or all of their current boards? I don't know. But if you were using the ASUS software (that may show a falsely low CPU temp) and changed to a program that shows the correct (but higher) CPU temp, then I'm sure you get what I am saying.

My i7-930 CPU with a H60, with SpeedStep and C-states enabled (CPU running at 1.6GHz when they activate) runs at best in the high 20's C at idle. The cores are always in the mid 30's C at best, and are in the low 40's C when any load kicks in for a while, and the CPU runs at 2.8 - 3.0 GHz, its rated stock clock and turbo speeds.

I haven't had a BiOS update in a long time, and I've only ever used Real Temp as my Temp Monitoring Software inside Windows. The BIOS Update I have now and have had for a while I think is the last one made for this board.

In the BIOS before booting into Windows my Temps show as 30-35c.

How exactly are you monitoring your temps? Bear in mind AI Suite temperatures are not accurate representations of CPU temps, it just takes an average of all cores.

Edit: whoops you mentioned that. Hopefully ou figure it out soon

@ Squal429

You might want to take a look at this free software.

Although its still a Beta it works extremely well and the developer adds functions to it based on feedback of the community. I started to use it at its first release (something around two years ago) and so far i couldn't find any bugs. Just the opposite, it became one of the first tools i run if there's a problem with a PC of one of my customers... ;):

Archived