Corsair Community

H70 noise

SWDeveloper

Hi,

This H60 / H80 / H100 “Buzzing” or “Grinding" seems to be the same problem affecting my 2 brand new H70 Core coolers.

Both installed in to 2 new identical system builds out of box had loud rattling.

It subsides when I lay the unit(s) down and returns when I stand the unit back up again.

I had one system on and running for 15 hours laying down with no rattle. It's excellent when it's not rattling!

As soon as I began to move the unit upright it rattles loudly.

It is the pump not the fans.

I have raised a case number with Corsair but no reply yet.

I have written an email to RMAservice@corsair.com with the subject "Hydro Series Buzz" but no response yet.

Should I just go ahead and RMA with the supplier?

P.S. I'm a new member just signed up as I bought some new Corsair stuff (cooler and RAM). I think it's funny in the system spec.s you have to fill out in the sign up that they don't have a space for 'type of cooler'. Or did I miss something.

Well no word back from Corsair on case number (get "Case ID and/or Password are Incorrect." message), customer service email or post.

I will just RMA with local retailer and see what happens.

I'm in NSW Australia so hopefully won't have to start shipping round the world.

Don't want to have 2 systems off line for any amount of time let alone incur any costs for faulty products.

Wish I had done my research a little better before purchasing multiple Corsair products. Thought I had!

P.S. the sound is driving me mad!!!

Fans are quiet on mine - but I am using CM fans as I got the H70 Core - no fans.

Temps are all ok but I haven't yet pushed the systems.

My concerns are ;

1. The noise is annoying.

2. The noise is an indicator of a problem that will eventually degrade pump performance or cause failure all together.

From reading about the other hydro series pumps there seems to be talk of bearing and/or impeller tolerance issues. This to me seems consistent with my symptoms and would also seem (to me) an undesirable situation long term.

Cheers.

• Corsair Employees
The pump noise from H60/H80/H100 coolers was the only one we have replicated under controlled condition. We don't expect this issue happening with the H40 and H70 core due to the fact that they came from two different makers. In your case, I'd definitely get it replaced either with the re seller or with our RMA process.

Thanks RAM GUY. I have started the process.

However my re seller says they may have to return to manufacturer to verify a fault before they can do anything.

I imagine this would take some time and I don't want to be stuck without two coolers (therefore two systems) for any amount of time.

They are brand new and barely been running over a week.

Is this a normal process or do Corsair support the re sellers judgement in verifying faults?

Thank you!

Is this a normal process or do Corsair support the re sellers judgement in verifying faults?

Cosair has no control over resellers policy's. I would suggest if you are going to RMA them to just do it with Corsair direct. It will get replaced without having to go through the middle man. Their RMA procedure is pretty fast depending on where you are.

Since you already have a RMA case started, you can call CS and ask for an advanced RMA . They will send you new ones before you send the old ones off. That way you have no down time.

I do understand you are out of the US and the calls can be expensive, but you can install SKYPE and use that to call the toll free line. To arrange an advanced RMA you have to call. They can not be set up here in the forums.

I'm not doubting you, it just seems funny that you got two units that have or are failing. As stated earlier the h-40,70's are made from a different manufacturer. And there have been no real cases of those coolers making any kind of noise.

• 2 weeks later...
The pump noise from H60/H80/H100 coolers was the only one we have replicated under controlled condition. We don't expect this issue happening with the H40 and H70 core due to the fact that they came from two different makers. In your case, I'd definitely get it replaced either with the re seller or with our RMA process.

Just an update - I did an RMA with my re seller who in turn returned them to their supplier.

I couldn't wait for the process to go back up the chain so I went ahead and purchased two replacement coolers. As I had lost a bit of confidence with the H70's I purchased a different product. I have to say the replacement product works like a dream. Effective and quiet - Even if it is supposed to come out of the same factory as the H70.

My reseller refunded me on the H70's shortly after.

As stated earlier the h-40,70's are made from a different manufacturer. And there have been no real cases of those coolers making any kind of noise.

From what I could see there have been numerous reports of H70 noise. Just on this forum. eg;

H70 problem

please pray for my corsair baby.

h70 RMA shipping costs

New H70 Core - dreaded pump noise

H70 clicking noise

Corsair H70 Pump Noise

Corsair H70 and strange sound

H70 rma issues wrong rma form, no help!

H70 "water/bubble" noise

New H70 Pump noise and speed jumping up and down.

H70 possible issues

H70 failed. No response from RMA ???

I took a video of my H70's running but haven't posted it anywhere yet. When I compare it to my replacement products I don't see how anyone could put up with that noise!

Maybe I was just unlucky to get 2 or my re seller had old stock or something ?

Anyway thanks for the replies and help all!

• Corsair Employees
You should keep that in context IE when it was the top selling Water cooler (H70) we were selling 20-30K units per week so that is relatively small compared to the volume that was sold.

Archived