Corsair Community

Help Abit AV8 - Twinx problem

LoveMachine

Just got around to upgrading my system with some tasty bits but I'm having some trouble with my mem. First up heres the machine spec... Abit AV8 "3rd Eye" mobo Athlon 3500+ cpu 1gb TwinX 3200C2PT mem Radeon 9700 pro First up, when building the system I could only get it to start with the ram in slots 3 and 4. When I finally got the system running the machine would hang with the mem set to 400 (Auto Detect setting in Bios). To install and run Windows I have had to underclock the mem to 333. Since doing this the machine is fine and runs all software without issue. Whilst this is much faster than my older system I guess I'm still missing out on a fair bit of performance not having the mem running at full wack. Ive so far tried upping the mem voltage to 2.7.. this only delayed the crash slightly. I'm guessing I just need to set-up the mem correctly so if anyone know the right timing / settings I'd be really greatfull. Cheers

I'd suggest using the bios option to use the default setup. Then, change the RAM timings to 2.5,3,3,7 manually instead of using SPD. If this does not work, I'd pull one stick of RAM and leave 1 in the slot for single channel operation. Then run the test from [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] . Then run it again with the other stick individually. Run each stick for 3-5 passes with the RAM voltage up to, but not over, 2.8v. Mike.

Ive set the timings to 2.5 3 3 7 and the machine now boots and also passes mem test. So everything looks cool!! Apart from the fact that Doom3 still crashes after a few minutes play! But i suspect this could be the Graphics card as it also crashed before I upgraded the system!

Archived