Corsair Community

CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10 + Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3

Archangel35757

Hello,

I've installed a 32GB kit ( :eek: ) of Corsair CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10 memory modules into my new workstation using a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 motherboard. The processor is an Intel i7-2700K @ 3.5GHz. The OS is Windows XP Pro x64 Edition (I have my reasons...).

I tried setting everything to "AUTO" in the BIOS but that fails and the system (after a few automatic boot cycles comes back with the memory set as 1333). I then tried to manually set the SPD multiplier to 18.66 and the timings to 10-11-10-27 and that also fails.

The Corsair configurator didn't address any 32Gb kit... so can you please tell me how to set this memory manually to get it to work.

Thanks!

:confused:

All you should have to do is first go back and load set-up defaults in your BIOS. Then enable XMP in your BIOS.

It's usually in the advanced overclocking features. Or refer to your manual for the correct place in your BIOS.

Thats it. XMP will set everything for you.

Your probably missing the bump in memory controller voltage that XMP will provide.

All you should have to do is first go back and load set-up defaults in your BIOS. Then enable XMP in your BIOS.

It's usually in the advanced overclocking features. Or refer to your manual for the correct place in your BIOS.

Thats it. XMP will set everything for you.

Your probably missing the bump in memory controller voltage that XMP will provide.

I'm not sure what you mean by "set-up defaults" -- unless you mean reset everything to "AUTO" with respect to memory settings in BIOS. In everything I've tried, I've always had the Extreme Memory Profile enabled to "Profile1" (the choices are disabled or profile1)... so I don't think that is the issue.

The motherboard manual states it supports a maximum of 32GB of DDR3 2133/1866/1600/etc. So this memory should work... surely it's not incompatible. :confused:

Yes, it should be compatible. So we need to figure out why.

Do you have the latest BIOS for your MB?

A BIOS update usually fixed these kinds of issues if you haven't already?

Auto settings will not get you running at 1866mhz. That will either be set by XMP or by manually adjusting the timings.

The motherboard manual states it supports a maximum of 32GB of DDR3 2133/1866/1600/etc. So this memory should work... surely it's not incompatible.

Yes, but your CPU only supports a max frequency of 1333,mhz. Anything above that is overclocking and nothing is guaranteed! Your CPU's memory controller may not be up to the task of that much strain. But before we worry about that,can you test each module individually with memtest in the same slot to be sure you do not have a bad module in the bunch. You may also want to test known good sticks in the remaining slots of the MB to be sure it's not a slot issue.

You could also try setting the memory to 1600mhz and see if it will pass memtest that way too.

I need to flash the BIOS to version F10 (mine is presently v. F9). I can also run memtest86+ on the DDR3-1866 modules but that'll take a little time.

As an aside note (hopefully not confusing...) I just built this system and originally installed a 32GB kit of DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 memory... it worked fine but CPU-Z stated the max bandwidth was PC3-10700 (667MHz)-- which was puzzling to me (I'm just a cave man-- probably shouldn't be assembling computers- :laughing:). Maybe this is related to what you were saying about the CPU memory controller... not sure.

So I had this DDR3-1866 32GB kit (for a second workstation I'm planning to build) and thought about using it in this current machine, rather than the DDR3-1600, and getting faster memory (DDR3-2133) for the second machine.

Found this informative article--

DDR3 SDRAM for Sandy Bridge: Choosing the Best Memory for LGA1155 Platform

But based on the benchmark results in the article above... it doesn't seem much performance is gained using DDR3-1866 over DDR3-1600 with this LGA1155 setup.

But I would still like to see if I can get this DDR3-1866 memory to work.

Thanks for your help Peanutz94

So I had this DDR3-1866 32GB kit (for a second workstation I'm planning to build) and thought about using it in this current machine, rather than the DDR3-1600, and getting faster memory (DDR3-2133) for the second machine.

I gotcha! I'm pretty sure a BIOS update will fix the issue with the 1866 kit...I hope. That is unless you find a faulty stick.

The MB can play a huge role in things too. It may support faster memory but you do get boards that for what ever reason do not overclock well either. And same with CPU's. Some overclock great and others just barely get to 1600mmhz

o I had this DDR3-1866 32GB kit (for a second workstation I'm planning to build) and thought about using it in this current machine, rather than the DDR3-1600, and getting faster memory (DDR3-2133) for the second machine.

You can do what you like, but for a workstation your not going to notice much if any difference above 1600mhz(as you read from that article) without running a bench mark. A workstation will benefit greater from the increased capacity over frequency anyway.

Not to mention the higher you go above 1333mhz the more strain your putting on your CPU's memory controller. And also more heat. A 1600mhz kit would be the sweet spot!

So first things first... I downgraded the DDR3-1866 to SPD multiplier 16.00 and the 32GB runs fine @ 1600MHz.

And same with CPU's. Some overclock great and others just barely get to 1600mmhz

I was going to ask about that. You could try a little more voltage to the memory controller at 1866mhz since they are stable at 1600mhz. Add.2v and the.1v at a time if you need to after that. Only add what you need to to get stable. But if they wont run at 1866mhz with MC voltage at max, then it would appear that you have one of those CPU's that don't want to be overclocked that high.

One other quick question...

Do you have all your power saving features turned off in the BIOS?

Sorry, that was kind of a random question, but it just came to mind.

My BIOS is actually v. F4 so I'm going to flash it to latest (v. F10).

I think i would wait till you flash BIOS's before you blame it all on the CPU though! :P

I was going to ask about that. You could try a little more voltage to the memory controller at 1866mhz since they are stable at 1600mhz. Add.2v and the.1v at a time if you need to after that. Only add what you need to to get stable. But if they wont run at 1866mhz with MC voltage at max, then it would appear that you have one of those CPU's that don't want to be overclocked that high.

One other quick question...

Do you have all your power saving features turned off in the BIOS?

Sorry, that was kind of a random question, but it just came to mind.

I think i would wait till you flash BIOS's before you blame it all on the CPU though! :P

Ok... I flashed the BIOS to the latest version (F10)-- What a nightmare that turned out to be:!: (Note to self-- NEVER use Gigabyte's @Bios program). Flashing the BIOS however still did not allow the DDR3-1866 memory to work. Tried "AUTO", tried forcing it manually... kept rebooting and reconfigured itself automatically to 1333MHz. Downgraded it back to DDR3-1600 and set timings to 10-10-10-27 and it's stable again. So I may try to up the voltage as you said to 0.2V and see what happens...

So I tried manually setting the SPD to 18.66, timings to 10-11-10-27 and increased the DRAM voltage to as much as 1.6V (BIOS only lets me select in 0.2V increments; I left the other voltage settings as "AUTO")... and didn't get anything stable.

Are you saying I have to overclock the CPU in order to get the DDR3-1866 memory to work? I'm not understanding...

Here is a link to the motherboard manual:

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z68x-ud7-b3_e.pdf

Maybe there's something else I'm failing to do or change...

Are you saying I have to overclock the CPU in order to get the DDR3-1866 memory to work? I'm not understanding...

You already are overclocking the CPU, but what I mean is that the memory controller that is located in your CPU appears not to like being overclocked. Your CPU only supports a max frequency of 1333mhz. You are overclocking your memory from 1333mhz to 1866mhz. Thats actually a pretty big jump in frequency and not all CPU's can run those frequencies. Your appears to be one of those CPU's.

So I tried manually setting the SPD to 18.66, timings to 10-11-10-27 and increased the DRAM voltage to as much as 1.6V (BIOS only lets me select in 0.2V increments; I left the other voltage settings as "AUTO")... and didn't get anything stable.

Leave DRAMM voltage at 1.5v And raise memory controller voltage. It should be QPI/vtt in your BIOS. Add.2v there and retest.

If raising these values does not get you stable at 1866, then i believe you are going to have to settle for 1600mhz. Your CPU just isn't tolerating 1866 very well.

Your Mb may support the faster memory, but those speeds are highly CPU dependent.

Absolutly! Just use small increments and then test after each adjustment.

As a matter of fact. Lets do this. Leave the DIMM voltage at 1.5 QPI on auto and just bump the SA a little at a time.

I would look up your CPU's specs and find the max value for it. I BELIEVEit is 1.25v. But please check that to confirm . I don't want you feeding your CPU too much voltage if that is not correct.

And also if thats wrong you please post that value so i can write it down for my own notes?

Let me know how you make out!

Cheers!

Absolutly! Just use small increments and then test after each adjustment.

As a matter of fact. Lets do this. Leave the DIMM voltage at 1.5 QPI on auto and just bump the SA a little at a time.

I would look up your CPU's specs and find the max value for it. I BELIEVEit is 1.25v. But please check that to confirm . I don't want you feeding your CPU too much voltage if that is not correct.

And also if thats wrong you please post that value so i can write it down for my own notes?

Cheers!

According to that link I found... the "System Agent" voltage also feeds the PCI Express Controller. So will bumping the System Agent voltage also increase voltage to my two EVGA GTX580 cards? :confused:

I don't want you feeding your CPU too much voltage if that is not correct...

...if thats wrong please post that value so i can write it down for my own notes?

Cheers!

According the the Intel i7-2700K, Volume 1 Datasheet (ref. Table 7-6), the Voltage for the System Agent is 0.879 V min; 0.925 V nominal; 0.971 V max. My BIOS has it set to nominal.

Archived