Corsair Community

Double or single sided?

Dcamel

damn, guess that mean's I can't buy this company's RAM since it interfere's with my mobo's performance, and may even cause a short! Corsair, you should offer more information on your site so I shouldn't have to come all the way to your forum to ask this! You'd have better happier customers if your service was better!

[quote name='Dcamel'] damn, guess that mean's I can't buy this company's RAM since it interfere's with my mobo's performance, and may even cause a short! Corsair, you should offer more information on your site so I shouldn't have to come all the way to your forum to ask this! You'd have better happier customers if your service was better![/QUOTE] Questions like that are why the forum is here and linked directly to the Corsair products links. I'm not sure how much more info and effort you expect from a company but trust me, no other RAM company comes close to this level of support. As to your MOBO, if you have a MOBO that cannot take a DS DIMM that is the responsibility of either the chipset and/or the MOBO maker. I have never seen a brand of MOBO that will not run Corsair RAM. What MOBO do you have that will short out or slow down with good RAM in it? I want to make sure I don't buy one. Mike.

Chipsets have been rather interesting of late, some will support double sided and perform better as a result, others won't. Some will permit one double sided and the rest have to be single sided, and some motherboards have been manufactured with the same chipset but the motherboard manufacturer has done something that a few adjustments allow the board to run 2 double sided sticks. If you give more information on your setup, then it is much easier to give you assistance and point you in the right direction.

my motherboard manual says I may have a maximum of one double-sided RAM module, and as for whoever said corsair offers blah blah blah so much info, how comes they don't tell visitors whether their RAM is DS or SS? believe me, I checked, if its there its definitly not user-friendly info

my motherboard is the epox 8kda3j for amd64 with an amd64 3200+ clawhammer core. I currently have a stick of DS 512MB pc3200 memory on DIMM #1...from this reasoning, I need to make my next stick a single-sider, and if I get two more I'd have to actually get 3 more so that they'd all be single sided because it can only run 3 modules if they're single sided... also, this mobo ONLY runs DDR400 RAM, nothing else.

From what I have seen from other users' posts, some AMD64 based MOBOs will run 2 X 512mb DS DIMMs at DDR400. So, at worst, if you bought a TwinX kit and it won't run DDR400 with the TwinX, it RAM will run at 333mhz. However, the best alternative I see is a single DS DIMM of 1024mb DDR400. Since you have a single channel MOBO there is no real need for 2 sticks of RAM when 1 stick will give you the capacity you need. This is assuming you are wanting 1gb of RAM. A single DIMM will bring less latency do the system and meet the AMD64 chipset requirements of a single DS DIMM when running DDR400. FYI, I don't know of any RAM company making single sided 512mb DIMMs. Due to the density of the ICs available, it is not economically feasible to do so. That's the reason that 99.9% (or mebbe 100%) of the RAM made comes in SS 256mb sticks and the corresponding 512mb version is DS. Good luck, Mike.

• Corsair Employees
Sorry I missed the model! However, this MB like many other on the market is single channel and if you install more than one module you may have to run the memory at DDR333! In addition, I have not tested this specific model as of yet, but all of the MB's I have tested based on this chipset have all be able to run DDR400 with 2 modules! You need to install them in slots 1-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and you should be set! And all 512 Meg modules you would find on the market would be double sided at this time! You might see them become more in price parity by the end of the year, but for now the lower density IC is still used with every module I have seen no matter who the maker has been!

yeah, I've already went ahead and ordered the corsair value select memory. One thing you guys have been saying is that it will run at 333...according to my specs, this board can only run at 400! it can't run at 266/333/400 like a lot of boards out there can, 400 only. Anyway, my main concern hasn't been it running a little slower (although that will stink) but that it will actually damage the system. The clincher was that I talked to a bud that has the 8kda3+ (largely similar model, although it does have its differences, but the manual has the same section concerning DIMM configurations) and he has 2 DS 512 modules that are running at 400...so I'm not that worried. Ill let ya know how it works out, the chip is getting here tomorrow

I left out a thought above. It is usually not a good idea to mix RAM that uses different ICs. I am not certain that your combo of 2 brands/types of RAM might not be a good idea. That's why I suggested the single 1024mb stick. But, I certainly understand budget and wish you the best of luck. What is the brand and model/revision # of the other RAM? Mike.

Archived