Corsair Community

CX430 is too tall to fit in some cases

AdrianPR

I recently tried moving a CX430 PSU to a different case and it would not fit.

It is just a little too high. I think that the standard ATX height is 86mm but my CX430 is 87mm, measured with a vernier calliper. It is not much, but it means that the PSU will not fit in a case with a lip on its rear plate or that has a support ledge.

Is my CX430 faulty or is this to be expected? It means that buying a new case will be a problem. This is a shame because it is otherwise an excellent PSU.

It's a standard ATX PSU it should fit. You are the first complaint that i have seen about ANY of the PSU not fitting into a case. Are you sure it wont fit with just a little wiggling? (just a suggestion)

I wouldn't say it is faulty.But, You always have the option to try another one if you wish.

If you can swap it out at your reseller that would be the easiest.

If not you can use the link and request to have it replaced.

• 1 month later...

I have tried to get my reseller to accept that it is faulty but they refuse to replace it.

Even worse, the case in which it did fit was in fact faulty (!). I had this case replaced and now the PSU will not fit in that either. It looks like it will not fit in any ATX case (!).

I am currently using it in an old case that I have modified by cutting of part of the back panel - not a satisfactory solution (!).

I thought that the CX430 was an ATX PSU and thus has to be 86mm high. I have measured some other ATX PSUs and they are as expected 86mm high, and I note the the Corsair site says the CX430 is 86mm high.

My CX430 is 87.5mm high. Is this normal or even possible for a corrrectly made CX430?

I have taken some photos showing the dimension:

http://nepsweb.co.uk/temp/fullviewSmall.jpg

http://nepsweb.co.uk/temp/closeupSmall.jpg

• Corsair Employees

It also says 3.4" which according to his image it is 3.4" but I will ask the PSU product manager to look into this is about all I can do.

Also please show a picture of the label so I can check the part number, there are two version of this model

Is your PSU CMPSU-430CXV2 or CMPSU-430CX?

The problem is that it will not fit in a standard ATX Case because it does not have the standard ATX PSU form factor of 150 mm × 86 mm × 140 mm.

For information on form factor please see

http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

Figure 9 of this document clearly states that the height has to be 86mm with a tolerance of +/- 0.5mm. That is the height must be between 85.5mm and 86.5mm. This PSUs height is 87.5mm. SO it is a faulty ATX PSU.

I have tried it in four standard ATX cases so far, and will not fit in any of them. It will not go between the top plate of the case and the shelf in the back plate at the bottom of the PSU bay. If it is placed on the top plate and slide toward the back plate it actually hits the edge of the shelf. No amount of giggling and trying to slide it in at interesting angles helps. It just does not fit (!).

As said in a previous post, it only fits into its current case because I have removed the case's PSU bay self with a hack saw and a pair of pliers -- Please do not tell me this is an acceptable solution.

As for the standard dimension in imperial units ...

3.4in = 86.36mm, which is within tolerance. But the PSUs 87.5mm is still faulty - see photo below.

http://nepsweb.co.uk/temp/closeupSmall2.jpg

The unit is a CX430 V2 - see photo below

http://nepsweb.co.uk/temp/labelSmall.jpg

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but It should not prevent it from fitting on your case but it may be that the case you have does not have any extra room. However, as I stated there is nothing I can do to change it only what is listed on our site.

I would speak with the reseller and see if they will let you return it, if they will not or cannot help you then use the link on the left and request an RMA and explain the issue to them and provide a link to this thread, and see of they can help you with this.

I am sorry but It should not prevent it from fitting on your case but it may be that the case you have does not have any extra room. However, as I stated there is nothing I can do to change it only what is listed on our site.

I would speak with the reseller and see if they will let you return it, if they will not or cannot help you then use the link on the left and request an RMA and explain the issue to them and provide a link to this thread, and see of they can help you with this.

Ram Guy, please confirm what the correct dimensions are for the CX430W.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I have been arguing with eBuyer, the UK supplier. They are refusing to acknowledge there is a problem.

They are saying much the same as you - "we measured ours and they are all 86mm, so yours must be 86mm as well." Despite the photographic evidence, they ignore the indisputable fact that my PSU is 87.5mm.

They are also quoting your web site, which says the unit is 86mm, as proof that my unit is really 86mm. But the whole point is MY unit is NOT 86mm - it is 87.5mm (!)

They also use the mad logic that: Corsair state that the PSU has an ATX form factor, so my PSU MUST fit in an ATX case. They repeatedly ignore the absolute fact that MY PSU is 87.5mm, so in fact it does not have a ATX form factor (!).

I want to put it in a Fractal Design 1000 case:

http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=61

I have tried the PSU in three other ATX case with top PSU bays, and it will not fit in any of them.

It either hits the small shelf at the bottom of the back-panel opening and will not go into the bay. Or if I can manage to force it in, the mounting holes do not fully line up. Although it does not remove the problem, I suspect that my CX430 will fit in an ATX case with a bottom PSU bay.

Anyway, I have actually given up arguing with Ebuyer and bought a XFX Pro450W from Maplins, which does fit in my and other ATX cases. Unfortunately, I am now stuck with a Corsair PSU unlikely to be able to use.

Archived