Corsair Community

CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB failed to 12GB, and H100 leaks

PJM

Topics :

"Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz PC3 240 Pin DIMM Memory

CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10"

H100 cooler that leaks

Bought 28 days ago. On first install ( to Asus P9X79, 3930 proc ), all is well. Bench's well ( linpak, P-95, etc ). Shows as 1600MHz ( correct ).

~ 2 weeks in, it started showing ( in BIOS and in system monitor tools ) as 16 GB at 1300 ! I didn't really freak about it. A few days ago, I noticed that my system was showing 12 GB installed, at 1300 !

Re-flashed BIOS to current 1203 ( it was already current ), cleared cmos, etc. Still shows ar 12 GB at 1300, in BIOS and orther monitors.

Swapped sticks and slots around, etc, I find that one stick read 8 GB / 1600 ( by itself ), the other reads 4 Gb / 1300 ! Replaced via Amazon, new sticks are in, reading correctly so far.

I notice the old ones said 'version 2.0', the new ones '3.4' on the stickers. What is the difference ? Is 3.4 is current ? If so, I got some REALLY old stock less than a month ago ???

A few hours later, I noticed some little spots on the fan shrouds and blades of my H100 ( mounted externally, pulling out, on my R400 case, which is why it was visible to me ). A liquid that felt 'slick' to the finger, and smelled maybe just a bit 'oily', if at all. IOW - the H100 leaks ! Also now getting another from Amazon with their 30 day replacement policy.

BTW, I do not OC, I'm running 6 fans in and 2 out ( the H100 ), and temps have never gone higher than 60c, worst case, when benching Prime95 etc. So, I'm not pushing the limits on anything except maybe more cooling than I need.

What liquid is in the H100 ? Polypropolyne ?

Guys, I'm getting real worried that my high opinion of Corsair may be misplaced. If I had to go through your RMA process, and wait, and pay shipping, I'd be PISSED !!!!!

Your response ?

1. Version is independent of WHEN they were made. Version refers to the IC. The first 4 digits of the lot code is the week and year it was made.

2. Regarding the "oily" substance on the fan - it's probably oil FROM the fan. Generally if the water cooler was to leak it would be from a joint.

"Version is independent of WHEN they were made" - OK. tks. So, I initially got a much older rev of the IC's, then.

re : leak source - I didn't know the fans had oil bearings. Honestly, they're the lowest quality fans in my system, IMO. Certainly the loudest when ramped up, they sound like my Dell rack mount server. The on-board ramp in the pump head does do a nice job of keeping them quiet, and I have my case set up with positive pressure, the only exit path being the H100 coil, so the other fans are helping push air out, too, which helps.

But regardless ( and I think you may be right, as I see no indications of coolant leaks elsewhere ), liquid coming out of a computer is a Bad Thing, as I recall :-)

For my reference, what fluid is in the cooling loop, and is it dielectric ?

I ran Memtest overnight on the new sticks, they passed with no errors. P-95 / Linpak ran OK, PCmark ran OK with good numbers, so now I need to keep burning them in like a crazy person during the newly-triggered 30 day return period from Amazon. Remember, the old ones only failed after 2 weeks.

I really hope the new parts last a long time - I really want to like Corsair, and I hope its fine reputation is justified. The TX650 PS and the R400 case are very nice, and no problems so far, except that the H100 fans won't fit inside with the P9X79 board ( they would press on the VRM heat sinks if I forced them in ). That's OK, I mounted them externally and I don't mind that. Turned out to be a good thing, that way I got to notice the oil leak.

re : leak source - I didn't know the fans had oil bearings. Honestly, they're the lowest quality fans in my system, IMO. Certainly the loudest when ramped up, they sound like my Dell rack mount server. The on-board ramp in the pump head does do a nice job of keeping them quiet, and I have my case set up with positive pressure, the only exit path being the H100 coil, so the other fans are helping push air out, too, which helps.

We see this alot. For what ever reason the bearings recieved too much oil when they were made. Even fans with brass bushings get a shot of oil when assembled.

Anyway once the excess is flung out they will stop.

For my reference, what fluid is in the cooling loop, and is it dielectric ?

It's a water/glycol mixture. It's not dielectric.

For the first few weeks of normal upright operation, there was no sign of oil. Then, during the RAM change-out and testing, I let the machine sit and run on it's side for a while. Right after that is when I noticed the spots of liquid.

It's probably a bit unusual to run the fans verticaly, and in a mount position where the fan outlet-side shroud is visible ? I dunno. Of course most fans are usually vertical...

Oh - one more question ( on the Asus P9X79 board, so this is the wrong website to ask, but anyway ) : When I first got the bits and stuck them together, the BIOS splash screen would go by in ~ 3 seconds. Now sometimes it takes 20 - 30 seconds ( and sometimes not ). The Q-code showing during the hang is usually 64 ( or b4 ? ) and a 62 ( b2 ? ), which I think is a memory check. I'm running XMP right now, which gives me a clock of ~ 3.8 Gh after it read the timings from the sticks.

ANy ideas how to get the BIOS back to original load time ?

Thanks for all the help.

"Version is independent of WHEN they were made" - OK. tks. So, I initially got a much older rev of the IC's, then.
No. Version number has nothing to do with time. There are multiple ICs used from various IC manufacturers. IC list is on the sidebar.

Archived