Corsair Community

Need help selecting PSU for Truckee motherboard

Underpowered

I have a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-190t with a 980X core i7 processor, 24GB of Ram, a SSD boot drive, a WD Green 1.5 TB storage drive, a Blue Ray burner and a Radeon 5570 graphics card.

The system has one of HP’s (infamous) IPMTB-TK Pegatron Truckee-UL8E motherboards and a Delta 460W PSU.

I would like to upgrade the power supply prior to installing a Radeon 7870 graphics card.

I have tried replacing the Delta with both a Corsair HX750 and a HCP750 and neither were compatible with this motherboard.

Reading numerous posts on the Internet it appears that my PSU incompatibility problems are virtually universal for everyone that has tried to upgrade their power supply with this Truckee motherboard.

I did, however, read a few posts that say the Corsair HX650 PSU is compatible with this motherboard.

Although I always believe everything I read on the Internet, I just wanted to double-check before I buy an HX650 that this reported compatibility is actually true?

Can anyone definitely confirm that the current model HX650 will work with the Truckee motherboard and (just for my curiosity) why the HX650 will work when the HX750 did not?

Thanking you in advance.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but there is no Cross reference to use for this and there is no 100% sure way to know with out trying it. I would suggest asking a reseller like Best Buy or Frys that sells our PSU if they can install it for you that way if it does not work they may be able to return it for you.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-190t with a 980X core i7 processor, 24GB of Ram, a SSD boot drive, a WD Green 1.5 TB storage drive, a Blue Ray burner and a Radeon 5570 graphics card.

The system has one of HP’s (infamous) IPMTB-TK Pegatron Truckee-UL8E motherboards and a Delta 460W PSU.

I would like to upgrade the power supply prior to installing a Radeon 7870 graphics card.

I have tried replacing the Delta with both a Corsair HX750 and a HCP750 and neither were compatible with this motherboard.

Reading numerous posts on the Internet it appears that my PSU incompatibility problems are virtually universal for everyone that has tried to upgrade their power supply with this Truckee motherboard.

I did, however, read a few posts that say the Corsair HX650 PSU is compatible with this motherboard.

Although I always believe everything I read on the Internet, I just wanted to double-check before I buy an HX650 that this reported compatibility is actually true?

Can anyone definitely confirm that the current model HX650 will work with the Truckee motherboard and (just for my curiosity) why the HX650 will work when the HX750 did not?

Thanking you in advance.

The Corsair HX 650 is the largest Corsair power supply that will work with that HP desktop....been down the same road as you with this.

As far as the "current model" of the HX650 being compatible with it I am not sure....I know for a fact the old model hx650 (the bronze certified psu) works with your HP desktop but Corsair recently upgraded the hx650 to the Gold standard so I am not sure how much of the internals they changed in the new edition and if it will work with HP desktops anymore.

I thought I would take one last shot at trying to upgrade my PSU and bought a HX650 from Newegg. Put it into my system with all the wires loose and much to my amazement the system actually booted up! I was pleasantly surprised and then proceeded to do a really nice job on the all the cable management and powered up the system again. At first everything seemed OK but I soon realized that while I was getting power to my HP Pocket Media drive (blue light was on) the system would not recognize it. This seemed strange so I started surfing the web trying to to figure out what was wrong. After about 15 to 20 minutes the system suddenly crashed and tried to reboot by itself. It got into the POST but would not recognize the drives. I powered off the system and then rebooted, this time just got a high speed fan noise and nothing else.

Took out the Corsair PSU, put back the HP Delta unit and everything back to normal. Tried the paper clip test on the Corsair, that still works. Sending the PSU back to Newegg for a refund. This was absolutely my last attempt at upgrading the power supply, I've just had it with this nonsense.

HP built a shipload of these systems, you would think that one of the power supply manufacturers would take the initiative to construct a "Trukee Compatible PSU!"

• 9 months later...

After having failed miserably at finding a power supply that will work with this Truckee motherboard, I took a different approach and explored the options for which graphics cards will work with my existing 460W PSU.

Found that the Radeon HD7850 is well-matched to the capabilities of the motherboard and with the new 28nm architecture only uses about 110W. The AMD web site says you need at least a 500W PSU, but I did all the calculations and it seemed to me that it should work with my OEM 460W PSU.

Bought a XFX CORE Edition HD7850 860MHz 2GB, popped it in, updated the drivers and everything fired-up just fine. Stress tested the heck out of it with the Unigine Valley benchmark (I really like this benchmark, it is so nice to look at while it is testing) and absolutely had no problems with the PSU or the graphics card. Please bear in mind that my system is loaded with drives (including a HP pocket media drive) and a bunch of memory, so if it works on mine it should definitely work on yours.

Only note of caution is that my HP case definitely did not have enough ventilation, it overheated badly with the side on the case. A 4.5" hole saw and a 120mm fan took care of that problem!

The 7850 isn't the fastest card around, but it is well priced and well-matched to the capabilities of the motherboard. It is good enough for what I wanted and solved the PSU problem.

Archived