Corsair Community

DDR2 XMS2 PC4300 AND ABIT DuraMax

Rainman

I just purchased a 512mb CM2X512-4300 from Fry's for my new ABIT AA8 DuraMax mobo and realized I probably needed 2 chips since it's dual-channel compatible. I found one chip of 533mhz DDR2 XMS2 at Fry's and wondered why this chip is so hard to find? I see lots of PC3200 and PC4200, but no PC4300 anywhere. What's the deal with availability and/or what other chip do you recommend? I haven't opened anything yet, I want to determine if it's compatible first. $230 per chip is not worth the risk! I assume with 2 512's in dual mode, the OS sees them as 1GB?

• Corsair Employee
With this MB I would suggest you get a Twinx set, but you should at least get another module that will match the one you have now! And availability of new products is often times hard in the first few weeks of production, so that is not un-common!

Thanks, so is this PC4300 the only chip supported or are others in combination supported? I've seen many XMS PC4200 listed as 533mhz, what's the deal with that, is is compatible in my mobo in dual-channel or not? I'll look for the TWINX set but I haven't seen it anywhere. I'll probably go back to Fry's to see if I can get another single. Are individual chips as I've purchased, CM2x512-4300 ok to run in dual-channel mode or do they have to be special part numbers in TWINX sets?

• 5 months later...
hi..last time you helped me to set my twinx4300c3pro ddr2 at 533mhz..thank u very much...now i'm not be able to use the fsb 1066...can you help me to set the correct values?? cpu frequency,core voltage,multiplier, ddr2 ratio & voltage & nb voltage.. to can use fsb 1066?? thanks a lot ram guy

..i succeeded to boot and the system is stable with : 261 * 14 vcore 1.3625 ddr2 1.90 nb 1.60 i can't find correct settings to work @266mhz can u help me? consider that i haven't a good heatsink..i have the intel original boxed...infact the cpu temperature is high (75°)..can depend by this?? i'll change the heatsink soon..bye & thanks

• Corsair Employee
First thing the CPU you have a 800 FSB CPU and in order to run the memory at its rated speed you would need to set the memory Freq at 200 MHz so as you over clock your CPU the memory Freq will go to 533 MHz Automaticly.

Archived