Corsair Community

Dataplex giving Bootkit Malware Warning

TrevR10

After installing the latest version of Dataplex Software Zemana AntiMalware gives a positive warning that a Bootkit is installed.

As I thought it was a real positive I ran the 'fix' which then prevented me from accessing my C drive and a complete restore using Acronis was needed. I then decided to run Zemana with and without Dataplex installed and it is definitely the Dataplex software causing the issue.

I am assuming that it is a false positive based on the way the software works, however after previously installing an infected program from a reliable source I would like to know for definite if this is the case.

I also think the installation instructions for this device needs updating. When I first installed the device on the 2nd reboot it turned my hard drive to mush, reporting its format as 'RAW' By trial and error I found out that I had to remove my D: drive from the SATA ports before installing the software. Once installed on the C: drive and rebooted a few times I was able to reconnect my D: drive.

This seems to be a common problem and surely new customers should be instructed only to make sure the C: (BOOT) drive should be connected during the installation process.

I received the following reply from the Dataplex Help Desk:

It appears that there are two issues happening here.

The first issue that you are aware of is that your software is flagging Dataplex as a virus. Your software would be correct in flagging this as Dataplex does modify the boot block. It is not a virus but is does modifies your boot block. If there is some way in your software to flag it that this is an OK module that should clear up future errors. Since dataplex modifies your boot block dataplex must be running in order for the system to see your Target drive as an NTFS partition. If you boot your system without dataplex being disabled it will appear as a raw drive. If you uninstall or disable dataplex your boot block will be restored and windows will see the drive as an NTFS partition again.

Your second issue which is a larger issue is that you are running on an Nvidia controller. We do not support Dataplex configurations when the cache drive is attached to an Nvidia controller. It appears that your system only has 4 sata ports and they are all being run off of the Nvidia chipset. What other people have done to use our software is to buy a $19.00 plugin card based on the ASMedia 1061 chips. You must be running the latest firmware .95 for error free operation.

I'm sorry that Dataplex will not work for you in your current configuration. Please uninstall Dataplex from your system as you will suffer corruption when running off of an Nvidia chipset.

Your only two options here are to return your Corsair drive for an RMA or to purchase an additional controller card. I realize an additional controller card is an added expense but hearing from the people who have done this they say it was well worth the added expense.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but that is a limitation of the software, using another controller or MB is the only option. And in the read-me file it clearly states to disable Anti Virus software before the install.:D:

I am sorry but that is a limitation of the software, using another controller or MB is the only option. And in the read-me file it clearly states to disable Anti Virus software before the install.:D:

RAM GUY I did deactivate monitoring before installing the software. It was after the system was restarted for the second time that the warning happened.

Also as a company you surely should have a moral obligation to your customers to ensure your retailers warn about the incompatibility of your product with any motherboard with an NVIDIA chipset. There is no such warning on any UK based suppliers site including amazon and ebuyer, probably the 2 largest here.

In my reply to the Dataplex helpdesk I asked about this and mentioned the websites and this is part of the reply I received:

"You are correct that the websites have no warning. We have it listed in

our limitations and we are working on putting a module that will not allow

you to install. You are also correct that you are not the only one out

there with an Nvidia chipset. We are working to plug these holes that you

have noted."

The very fact that it is listed in their limitations but not passed on to customers is a failure. This warning is not in the Corsair Quick Start Guide which I would think is the very least you could do.

• Corsair Employees
Please contact your reseller I am sure they will let you return it; if not please create an RMA request and contact our customer service I am sure they will do their best to help you. But please try the reseller first this wil;l be fastest option.

Please contact your reseller I am sure they will let you return it; if not please create an RMA request and contact our customer service I am sure they will do their best to help you. But please try the reseller first this wil;l be fastest option.

Hi RAM GUY

I have contacted ebuyer for an RMA but won't find out if they will issue one until tomorrow as it is past 9pm here in the UK.

Just to be fair to RG , Nvelo did spend some time in trying to make these work with Nvidia chipsets ( you can see this in the old changelogs ) but pulled support a revision or 2 ago so it may have been "supported" when you bought it but not now .

Archived