Corsair Community

Brand New GS700 - Fan Not Working

zkeeton

Hello:

I just purchased a GS700 today and installed it for the first time in my computer. The install went fine and everything is powered up. My PC is running fine, the PS is working, as well at the lights.

The only thing that is not working is the fan. The fan is not spinning. Does this mean it hasn't gotten hot enough, or should it be on all the time. I have read different things about this on the web.

Please let me know if I need to return the unit to Best Buy, as it was only purchased today.

Thanks

Zach

From the product page...

Quiet Operation

A good gaming power supply must provide the cooling you need when you're pushing it hard, but it should be quiet when you're not. GS Series PSUs accomplish this through excellent efficiency — it generates less heat, so it requires less cooling — and a temperature-controlled 140mm fan that automatically adjusts its speed to meet demand. It doesn't even spin up until it's needed.

Put a load on it like a game or something. It should start after it starts to heat up some.

I tried this.

I ran PCMark05 twice, with no cooling in my case except on the CPU (obviously). Anyway, I rebooted and checked the bios and the CPU temp was up to 49C. Still the fan did not come on.

Also, I tried the "paper clip" test that is demonstrated on youtube. The power supply started (like the video), but the fan made a noise while it was spinning up and stopped. The fan power supply that was used in the demo, the fan continued to run.

Hello:

I just purchased a GS700 today and installed it for the first time in my computer. The install went fine and everything is powered up. My PC is running fine, the PS is working, as well at the lights.

The only thing that is not working is the fan. The fan is not spinning. Does this mean it hasn't gotten hot enough, or should it be on all the time. I have read different things about this on the web.

Please let me know if I need to return the unit to Best Buy, as it was only purchased today.

Thanks

Zach

I just noticed your post after I made mine, I took a video of what my model is doing, I also purchased it at Best Buy and it's a GS800. I've got a new thread, mind taking a look and telling me if yours is doing the same thing?

Hello fellow forum members!

In regards to the OP, I recently purchased (< 1 Week)a GS700 from Best Buy as well (The newer version) and realized that the fan on the Power Supply does not spin. When the computer gets turned on the fan will spin at full speed then come to a halt a few seconds later.

In regards to the question "should the fan be spinning all the time", the answer is yes. Upon doing some research there is only one series in the Corsair PSU lineup that does not stay on 100% of the time.

For me the power supply worked ok the first day, then after that I started smelling traces of plastic around the house, I initially thought it might be just the "new plastic smell" as it didn't smell burnt or bad. The next few days was very cool and since the PC is close to a window I didn't smell anything. Today I took a look in the PC because some USB ports were not functioning/getting power. I turned off the computer and the PSU started smelling like "burnt electronics". When I removed the power cord I felt a small shock and immediately looked to see if the fan was dead, and indeed it was. Worst case scenario for me is that my USB ports are now fried.

Now, I apologize in thread jacking a little bit here (I felt it unnecessary to open a new thread on a similar problem). I want to get another GS series PSU, I have the first model in my i7-3770k build that has been running for over 1.5 years now with 24/7 uptime with ZERO problems. But the new model seems to be running into issues. I was wondering if a mod or tech member could give me a honest opinion on the quality of the series. This will affect my decision to rebuy a GS series model.

Sorry zero pulse , but your research was not thorugh enough! :)

This is taken from the product page right here on this site.

The AX series is not the only ones. I

In regards to the question "should the fan be spinning all the time", the answer is yes. Upon doing some research there is only one series in the Corsair PSU lineup that does not stay on 100% of the time.

Fanless mode at low loads for quiet operation, with an ultra-quiet 140mm double ball-bearing fan that delivers excellent airflow when needed

http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/gs-series-power-supply-units/gs-series-gs700-80-plus-bronze-certified-power-supply.html

Ah ha! Looks like I am wrong! I looked at the post date on a different thread and it was a year ago. Perhaps the refreshed version has this added featured? My older GS700 never turns off.

I wonder why they decided to put a power saving featured on a "gaming series" PSU.

However in any case, the PSU gets rather warm and starts smelling like plastic over time, I'm not even sure if it activates the fan at all. If the fan is as loud as it is on start up I would have heard it. Unless all of this is considered "normal" on the GS700. This PC rarely gets put into full loads, mainly used as a media center. I tend to leave my PC's on, but with knowing this PSU goes into fanless mode, I am a bit reluctant.

In any case, thanks for pointing out my mistake! =)

Ah ha! Looks like I am wrong! I looked at the post date on a different thread and it was a year ago. Perhaps the refreshed version has this added featured? My older GS700 never turns off.

haha, no worries. I hope you took that light hearted. Thats the way it was intended to be.

I wonder why they decided to put a power saving featured on a "gaming series" PSU.

I'm sure it because of efficiency. Even a gaming PSU does not need to be using more power than needed. But you can be sure when you do need the power it will be up to the task! :)

However in any case, the PSU gets rather warm and starts smelling like plastic over time, I'm not even sure if it activates the fan at all. If the fan is as loud as it is on start up I would have heard it. Unless all of this is considered "normal" on the GS700. This PC rarely gets put into full loads, mainly used as a media center. I tend to leave my PC's on, but with knowing this PSU goes into fanless mode, I am a bit reluctant.

You always have the choice to RMA your PSU if you think the fan is not working the way it supposed to.

And i wouldn't be reluctant to leave it on 24/7. If it is indeed malfunctioning the PSU will simply shut itself down if it gets too hot. If it starts shutting down then have it replaced.

In any case, thanks for pointing out my mistake! =)

Again, no worries. We all do it from time to time! =)

Even Me!:rofl:

Ok, I decided to put the PSU through the hoops and ran Prime95 on it for max heat and power consumption. Its been roughly 15+ minutes and the fan has not turned on.

Machine Specs:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

Q6600 @ 3.0 ghz.

******** Reaper DDR2-1066

9500GT

1 x 120mm Fan

1 x 90mm Fan

HWMonitor also shows voltage readings of:

CPU VCORE: Min: 1.09, Current: 1.15, Max: 1.17

DDR: 1.95 (I set this manually for my ram to work).

+3.3V: Min 3.26, Current 3.26, Max:3.30

+5V Min: 4.84, Current: 4.84, Max: 4.92.

+12V Min: 11.97, Current: 12.16V, Max: 12.22

VBAT: 3.25V

Are my 3.3, 5, and 12V readings a bit off?

EDIT: Hello and behold, the Fan is SPINNING! Its spinning at a rather slow rate but it is spinning! But turned off again =( All this is happening during the prime95 test. Im comming to the conclusion that it will spin and the plastic smell is just from the heated components.

• 11 months later...
I have a GS800 and they don't come on until a certain load. When my pc turns on, all of the fans power on, and then to their settings, my fan om my PSU spins when booted, but no matter what game i've played, it hasn't actually needed it, even hours of Crysis 3 maxed and it doesn't even bother :')

Archived