Corsair Community

Rampage IV extreme and two CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 kits

hkparker

Hello all,

I recently build on a rampage IV extreme and i7-3930k. I have 8 x 4GB RAM in there, from two CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 kits (16GB Vengeance kits, 9-9-9-24 1600MHz). The RIVE however keeps going back and fourth between seeing 24 and 32GB of RAM (most of the time 24GB unfortunately). I have tried enabling XMP, and manually setting the timings to 9-10-9-28, but nothing consistently works (it appears to be completely random when it reads 32GB, no setting consistently fixes it. I have tried on another RIVE and know it is not the motherboard.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a reason why these kits wouldn't play nice with my RIVE, and if so if there is a setting that will give me most reliability.

Thank you.

So a gone give some tips

First did you check for motherboard bios update

The last one is 1404

Thers be 7 bios update since rampage IV extreme wend out on the market.

All ove them, improve memory compatibility and system stability

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Rampage_IV_Extreme/#download

But i have to tell you, Mixing memory kit is not goog.

Even is it is the same produc. Unfurtunaly i see no 8 memory modual kit yet!!

Did you test all modual individualy with memtest to see if 1 ove your memory stick is defec?

http://memtest.org/

Try to not mixte the memory with other kit, maque a mark or put a litle sticker on 4 modual from same kit. so you will now memory stick come in witch kit.

After that if all modual as pass the test

-You cound try 1 ove your 2 kit And run it XMP profile to see if it stable

-Test the second kit as the first one

-test 2 kit togetter

Is system don't worck with 8 modual, it start to look is same trouble that i get

I ave a X58 chipset with 6 Dimm ove trip channel

evry ting was ok in triple channel

But wend all dimm full 2 x triple channel my system don't start

after a long time i have find thet problem

Using 6 memory modual ove memory OC, take more voltage that is set as default.

So the solution is to twik voltage on Uncore, IOH, CPU and memory

Maybe you have the same problem 8 Memory modual ask more voltage from motherboard then 4.

Hope this help

Sincerly yours

Hello all,

I recently build on a rampage IV extreme and i7-3930k. I have 8 x 4GB RAM in there, from two CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 kits (16GB Vengeance kits, 9-9-9-24 1600MHz). The RIVE however keeps going back and fourth between seeing 24 and 32GB of RAM (most of the time 24GB unfortunately). I have tried enabling XMP, and manually setting the timings to 9-10-9-28, but nothing consistently works (it appears to be completely random when it reads 32GB, no setting consistently fixes it. I have tried on another RIVE and know it is not the motherboard.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a reason why these kits wouldn't play nice with my RIVE, and if so if there is a setting that will give me most reliability.

Thank you.

Try reseating your CPU. Uneven pressure on the CPU ccan cause memory detection problems like this. Seeing as it is hit and miss when your machine detects the correct amount of RAM, I'm afraid it might be your MB to blame if any of the above tips do not work.

Does each kit detect the correct amount if you install each kit on it's own.

The only voltage you should need to adjust with your system would be memory voltage and memory controller voltage, which i believe is VCCSA in your BIOS. Start out by adding.2v to that and retest. If it fails to detect the correct amount then, you could try adding another.2v, but only if neccessary. And if it STILL fails, contact ASUS and have the board replaced.

So a gone give some tips

First did you check for motherboard bios update

The last one is 1404

Thers be 7 bios update since rampage IV extreme wend out on the market.

All ove them, improve memory compatibility and system stability

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Rampage_IV_Extreme/#download

But i have to tell you, Mixing memory kit is not goog.

Even is it is the same produc. Unfurtunaly i see no 8 memory modual kit yet!!

Did you test all modual individualy with memtest to see if 1 ove your memory stick is defec?

http://memtest.org/

Try to not mixte the memory with other kit, maque a mark or put a litle sticker on 4 modual from same kit. so you will now memory stick come in witch kit.

After that if all modual as pass the test

-You cound try 1 ove your 2 kit And run it XMP profile to see if it stable

-Test the second kit as the first one

-test 2 kit togetter

Is system don't worck with 8 modual, it start to look is same trouble that i get

I ave a X58 chipset with 6 Dimm ove trip channel

evry ting was ok in triple channel

But wend all dimm full 2 x triple channel my system don't start

after a long time i have find thet problem

Using 6 memory modual ove memory OC, take more voltage that is set as default.

So the solution is to twik voltage on Uncore, IOH, CPU and memory

Maybe you have the same problem 8 Memory modual ask more voltage from motherboard then 4.

Hope this help

Sincerly yours

I will make sure the bios is fully up to date. All the RAM is fine, tested in memtest86+. I'm thinking I might be able to get stability out of it with voltage tweaking and a little CPU overclock (that actually has seemed to help a little). It really is disappointing there are no 8 stick kits available.

Try reseating your CPU. Uneven pressure on the CPU ccan cause memory detection problems like this. Seeing as it is hit and miss when your machine detects the correct amount of RAM, I'm afraid it might be your MB to blame if any of the above tips do not work.

Does each kit detect the correct amount if you install each kit on it's own.

The only voltage you should need to adjust with your system would be memory voltage and memory controller voltage, which i believe is VCCSA in your BIOS. Start out by adding.2v to that and retest. If it fails to detect the correct amount then, you could try adding another.2v, but only if neccessary. And if it STILL fails, contact ASUS and have the board replaced.

I've tried with a different RIVE as well which is why I don't think it is motherboard or seating related, though that can't hurt.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction about the voltages, I'll go in and increase that voltage and see if I can get better results, thanks you.

It's the rampage IV extreme that doesn't officially have any 8 stick kits approved (in the manual that came with mine). If that vengeance 1600 10-10-10-27 kits is supposed to work in here then I'll try adjusting my kit to 10-10-10-27 and see if that helps, thanks for pointing me there! Overclocking does seem to help my RAM issues but I still have inconsistent readings on my RAM. I'll be trying a lot of stuff tonight and post my results.

• 3 months later...

I thought I would follow up in case anyone has a similar issue and google leads them here (relevant xkcd: http://xkcd.com/979/)

It was the immature RIVE BIOS that was giving me issues. Also, there is a 4 pin "Ez-plug" that provides additional voltage to memory that is recommended when using 8 DIMMs. I had missed this, it was hard to find, though that wasn't the issue in the end.

After ASUS released the 2105 BIOS update all my problems disappeared. Looks like my specific setup wasn't stable in the BIOS yet.

Archived