Corsair Community

Epox 8KDA3J and VS512MB400 , Can't run at DDR 400

ghost_148

I've just got a new setup, and can't seem to get the RAM to be stable at 200mhz. The m/b auto detects it correctly as DDR400, and selects 2.5,3,3,8 as the timings and @ 2.7 Volts (which from reading this forum is correct). However, i could not install the O/S, as i kept getting BSOD's involving PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and IRQL ..(summat or other). After clocking the Ram down to 166 the problems disappear. So i got the O/S installed etc, got the absolute latest drivers/Bios for both motherboard and graphics cards. Clocked back up, and while it runs ok for a random amount of time (between 1 and 20mins) then, (on next boot for example), BSOD again. I've tried memtest and it passed with no errors. The combination of m/b, ram and CPU were sold as an (apparently) compatible bundle from a retailer i usually trust. I read a post here with a similar problem on a GB motherboard, solved by upping the AGP voltage, but i've gone from 1.5 to 1.7 with no effect. I've tried changing the RAM voltage, between 2.5 and 2.7, but to no effect. To be honest its driving me nuts, esp as this wasn't a cheap upgrade and its given me nothing but a headache for a week now! To top it off, when running 3D games (ie Far Cry) the graphics keep freezing for a few seconds at random intervals. This happens regardless of detail settings, but i'm not sure if its related to the ram problems, as it still happens when i try it when the ram is at 200mhz (while it lasts!). Cooling shouldn't be a problem, inside case is running 30-40 degrees, with CPU 40-60 and GPU around 50. Power supply is 550W, should be more than adequate. Full system spec below, any suggestions welcome. :[pouts: AMD 64 2800, (200Mhz FSB) Epox 8kda3j motherboard (latest Nforce drivers and bios) 1x Corsair VS512MB400 DIMM Western Digital 7200 120GB SATA HD Gainward 6800 128MB Ultra/2100 graphics (61.76 drivers and latest VGA bios) SB Audigy (from old comp) (latest drivers) Sony DVD RW Drive Liteon CDRW Drive WinXP SP1 (all windows updates) 550W PSU, 2 Akasa 80mm case fans, CPU Fan came with CPU.

I did run the memtest program originally to check if the ram was dodgy and it passed without any errors, but it was when it was clocked at 166 (DDR333) i think, and also i only ran the default tests (don't think it went past #7 or #8). Thanks for the tip, i'll run the full lot through tomorrow (off out tonight, or i might throw a brick at the damn thing! :) )

Things go from bad to worse. Got up today in a far calmer frame of mind, set to work. Tried a couple of driver tweaks to try and sort out the graphics freezes, no luck. So i get memtest (yeah, the one from the website link given), connect up my floppy drive and set the bugger running on ALL tests mode. I go out, have a pleasant afternoon readin a book, come back and find its finished test #11 of 12 with no errors. Now since it says test 12 takes about 6 hours, and i needed to use my computer, i stop the test and the machine reboots. lo and behold, it now won't even enter windows. Simply freezes just before login, at the 'Windows is starting up' screen (one with the blue background). Safe mode does nothing, the ram is clocked back to 166 (which was totally stable before), i've tried everything else i know, and i'm left totally up a nasty creek with no paddle. Now i'm pretty patient with computers, i've done upgrades that haven't exactly gone smoothly before, but this is a whole new level. Nothing seems to fix the problems, which are annoyingly sporadic, and just when i think i'm getting somewhere its right back to square -1. I truly don't get it. (ok, bit of a rant at the end there, but this has taken up my time for an entire week, i'm supposed to be on holiday playing doom 3!). I'm currently working off my old rig, the new one being relegated to the corner untill i think of something new. Anyone out there with a good suggestion? :(: not a happy bunny.

You could try pulling EVERYTHING out of the system and sort of starting over. I know it sux but, it's one of the only ways to be thorough. I'd pull everything out of everything, including the MOBO from the case, and see if you can get a scaled down setup to run. Put the MOBO on a non-conductive surface (the box it came in is good) and try to boot it with only the RAM, video card, and CPU. If it will boot and run that way, try Memtest again for 1 or 2 passes. Then, add the HD and try Windows again. I'd also suggest testing all of the components that will run in your other computer if you can. This could be a bad HD or something odd. If this does not work, I'd look into 3 other options. 1. Find a local computer shop with competent techs and just see if they will post your main components and test the power supply. 2. Contact Epox as I don't think it's your RAM. 3. Pick a component and start the RMAs and hopefully by process of elimination you can find the culprit. Also, write down any serial numbers on your components. Occasionally some vendors (not pointing any fingers!) have been known to send the same component right back to you when they tell you it is a replacement. Good luck, Mike.

Thanks for the advice, sounds like a good plan. I think i'm gonna start by taking it to a local computer shop tomorrow, see if i can get a by component test off them. I tried using my old ram which is unbranded DDR333, but it immediately said that ntfs.sys is missing or corrupt on booting. Strange, since it was fine before, and as soon as i put back the new ram, everthings fine again. When i was having trouble originally i used an old 2GB hard drive to get a windows install going, and that had similar problems, so i've pretty much ruled out the HD, but anythings possible at the moment. I'm trying to keep my rigs as seperate as possible, because i've only an essential files backup done (since old HD was not being used in new system) and i need at least one system running! Anyway, thanks for your help, i'll see what happens tomorrow.

First, the good news, i can now get windows to boot. I took it to a local computer shop, but after i explained what the problem was, and what i'd done so far to try and fix it, the guy seemed a bit at a loss. His only suggestion was to take it apart and put it back together a component at a time. Since thats something i can do, i wasn't paying him £40 an hour to do it, so i took the rig home. After stripping it down, m/b out of case, the works, i set too. After a bit of settings changes, a combination of loading windows 'last known good config' and optimised defaults on the bios seemed to give it the spark of life and windows boots again. I'm at a loss to explain the 'last known good' thing, as absolutely nothing had changed between good and bad boots last time, save running memtest! c'est la vie. So now to the bad news, both the random BSOD at 200mhz on the RAM, and the graphics freezes have also returned. I'm now even more suspicious about the graphics freezes, as they get incrementally worse the longer the computer is running. Initially, i played far cry for about 10 mins with only 1 or 2 freezes. After a reboot, played again, same level, same path, again, only 1 or 2. Next play, jumps to 4 or 5, same level, same path etc. Each of these runs is from a reboot, nothing run or changed inbetween. Next play again, 5 or 6. Suspicious in my opinion, might be the agp voltage, but Gainward are a stone wall of silence at the moment. This does kinda tie in with the decay when the RAM is clocked at 200 though (though in a circumstancial way i admit) I'm considering taking the computer to the shop again, asking if i can test it with another DDR400 RAM chip, might at least eliminate the memory as the source of the problem (and mean i can stop bugging you good people about it too!). Any other ideas floating around? I'm open to most suggestions :):

• Corsair Employee
I think you stated you had some older memory I would try and use that memory and or test the system one module at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] to isolate the memory! If you can test the memory in another system that might help you isolate the memory from the rest of your hardware!

I do have some DDR333 in my old rig, but its unbranded, and when i put it in the new system windows started giving me 'ntfs.sys is missing or corrupt' (which it clearly wasn't) and that went straight away when i replaced the new RAM. Since i know some epox boards are picky about memory types (half the reason i got corsair memory) i'm not sure what to make of that. My old system only goes up to DDR333, so i can't test the new RAM at full speed and since it seems stable at DDR333, it wouldn't prove much. Thats a problem really, because i don't have any other memory to test with at full speed. I'll try running memtest again, though the last one crashed the system so bad it wouldn't boot into windows, doesn't seem right to me. I might also see if the computer shop can test it with some other RAM, as well as test it with my old graphics card, just to be sure the new ones not causing the problems (unlikely, but possible) We'll see what happens.

Archived