Corsair Community

TX650W fan issue, cooking itself.

A.Ryan

I have a TX650W that I bought for a custom gaming rig back in December of '09. Since I built the system its been operating well without any issues, until 2 days ago. Out of the blue, the system shuts down. Complete power failure, no beeps, no log off, its like someone just flipped the main power switch. The system then tried to turn back on after about 2 seconds but it just blipped on and then off again. Once the case fans were no longer blowing the air out the back of the unit I noticed a burning smell. Ugh. Sure enough the PSU is hot. The whole top and back of my case is noticeably hot to the touch and the PSU case is so hot near the cable harness that it literally burned me.:bigeyes:

I let it cool down and it fired back up again but I noticed it wasn't as loud as normal. Normally when it first starts up I hear the fans really cranking for a few seconds and then they settle down to normal RPMs. Not this time. The case, CPU and GPU fans are all working normally and seem to adjust RPMs as needed. They also crank up nicely if I manually adjust their RPMs using software. None of them are operating out of my normal temp ranges. The PSU fan is the only one I don't know how to directly test and while it seems to be spinning the RPMs never change and are pretty low based on noise. Its also moving very little air, less then even my smallest fans and much less then normal.

So far its done this to me 3 times in total and the only way I can keep it from cooking itself is to pull all the panels off my case and put an oscillating fan blowing directly on the PSU on max settings. Frankly I'm surprised its still operational after 3 overheating events but I guess thats a testament to the build quality of these PSUs.

RMA submitted #4769742.

• Corsair Employees
Using more power than the PSU can reliably produce can cause that, but at this point we don't know for sure its over heating only that to you it feels hotter than it should right? Do you have a thermometer you can use to measure the temps?

Welp, the TX650 died last night. If I unplug it for awhile I can get the lights to come on once I plug it back in, but only for a second, then it cuts off. Not even long enough to get any fans to spin up. And only once. I have to unplug it again to even get that. I dropped in an old power supply I had and everything works fine with it but it less watts then I'd like so I wont be using it to play games or anything demanding. As for it being the power supply that died, I'm sure of it. It reeked of burned electronics after it died the last time and everything works good with my old PSU. I didn't get a chance to get its temp before it died though. Based on my system though, I don't think I was running it over it rating. Heck, I wasn't even using the video card when it died, just normal web browsing.

Thanks for the help though. My specs are in my profile if you'd like to double check that. If you think I need more power for my system please let me know and I'll buy a more powerful PSU. It ran for over two years without issue though

Oh, also, I messed up and that is not my RMA number, just the number on the email they sent me on the RMA request confirmation email. :p:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived