Corsair Community

Please suggest what memory to upgrade my Abit NF7S-v2.

AL Fresco

Hi, I have an ABIT NF7S-v2 motherboard with 2x 256MB Corsair XMS 3200 memory sticks. CPU is Barton 3000, OS is WinXP Pro SP1. I would like to increase this memory to 768MB or 1GB using Corsair memory. As far as possible, or if at all possible I would like to retain use of my present memory. Also, I would like to maintain the Dual DDR setup which presently exists. Will you please suggest what size, rating and quantity of Corsair memory I should purchase in order to meet my requirements. Also, in which DIMM slots they should all be arranged. I would also appreciate any advice on the voltage and other BIOS settings I should use. I need good performance because I will be playing DOOM 3 and Half Life 2 (when it finally emerges). Many thanks Al.

Welcome to the forums, AL Fresco. To continue using your current modules, you'll really need to match them as closely as possible. If your module says v1.1 or so, then you need to find another v1.1, if it says C2, then you should get C2, if it says LL, get LL, etc. What you need is the same speed/model/revision that you currently have in a 512Mb module. If you can't, I'd try a CMX512-3200LL module as that may work. Once you get the 512Mb module (for a total 1Gb), put the two 256Mb modules into the first two slots, and the 512Mb module into the off-set third DIMM slot. In your BIOS, try these: CAS - 2.5 RAS to CAS Delay - 3 RAS Precharge - 3 Cycle Time - 7 DDR Voltage - 2.8v If you're running a 200MHz BUS (400FSB), run the memory at 200MHz (DDR400). If you're running a 166MHz BUS (333FSB), run the memory at 166MHz (DDR333). This will help with stability. PLUR CK

I'm not sure on the availability of that revision and the hardest part is to find a vendor that will verify/guarantee a specific revision. If you care to take the most conservative route and give yourself the best chance of operating stable with 1gb of RAM, I'd suggest purchasing a set of the PC3200XL or PC3200LL in a 1024mb TwinX kit. You could probably eBay the current RAM or find another use for it. This is not the least expensive route but good luck either way you go. Mike.

Archived