Corsair Community

3200LL Pro Won't Overclock

TbirdX

NF-7 XP-M2500 2 x 512 XMS 3200LLPro Basically, I can't get these sticks to run anything over stock settings. They error in memtest at 210 at any timings and any volts. I haven't tried anything lower than 210, other than 200 stock, which seems ok although I haven't memtested them at that past 10 cycles of test 5. It seems really bizzare that they won't do 210 and I've tried everything. All combo's of volts/timings/bios. I have to say, I'm really disappointed with them so far, but maybe I'm missing something or maybe the mobo just doesn't like them, but I'm prepared to listen to any suggestions anyone has I can try. If they can't even do 210 stable then they're out the door methinks and, sadly, that'll be my first and last time using corsair!!

Have you benchmarked the processor, motherboard, and memory "separately" to see what is the bottleneck? Basicly, for the proc set the processor multiplier to something higher like 12, the memory divider to 6/5 and up the FSB one by one starting at 200Mhz till BSOD, MemTest86 or other benchmark program failure. This tests the theoretical proc max. Next for the motherboard set the processor multiplier to something lower like 8 and the memory divider to 6/5 and up the FSB one by one starting at 200Mhz till BSOD, MemTest86 or other benchmark program failure. This tests the theoretical motherboard max. Last knowing the motherboard's max set the processor multiplier to something lower like 8 and the memory divider 1/1 and up the FSB one by one starting at 200Mhz till BSOD, MemTest86 or other benchmark program failure. This tests the theoretical RAM max. Ofcourse all the gears have to spin fast at the same time to get the results you want lowering the theoretical maxes but atleast maybe this'll point you in the bottle neck's direction. Run all these tests with your RAM timings set to something laid back like 2.5,3,3,8 except for the RAM testing part (you may want to run 3,4,4,8 for that). One you get the frequencies where you want them then start experimenting with tighting the timings. Try running the system at pure 3200 speeds (200 X 11) for 2-3 weeks while running a burn in program. Afterwards go back and try again. Disable anything in BIOS that you're not going to be using. What have you done for motherboard cooling? Abit left much to be desired in the cooling solutions (or lack there of) of this board. Most times chipsets have poor thermal compound installation (my NF7-S did) and the NF7-S's chipset heatsink is poor at best. Get that little round fan thing off the board and replace it with something functional. Have you installed MOSFET heat sinks? The little voltage regulators will get quite hot when overclocking and tend to surge when they do. Add some heat sinks. Hit [URL=http://www.overclockers.com]www.overclockers.com[/URL] and check out the active MOSFET cooling article. You'll notice the board getting the job done is the NF7-S for this reason (though I doubt you'll need active cooling on them unless you're watercooling). Several other chips on that board get fairly hot also even when at 200Mhz. Also do you have a PSU up for the job? You'll want a heavier duty PSU for this project. Everyone has their recommendation if you need one, mine is the Vantec 520A. The PSU you will want will be heavier even if it is all aluminum because it will have a larger transformer. It should also have big heavy duty capacitors to compensate for voltage spikes from motherboard and keep the voltage spikes on the 12V rail from CDROMS and HDDs from hitting the proc. Lastly and the most extreme possibly, some people have gotten good results out of moding their case and installing a fan to blow on the back of the motherboard where the processor socket sits. While I cannot say for my self whether or not it works it might be worth a try. Check out [URL=http://www.overclockers.com]overclockers.com[/URL] for furthers detail on what I have brought up and possibly [URL=http://www.frozenCPU.com]FrozenCPU[/URL] for cooling solutions. Nice thing about that board is that it's heavily covered ground and many have left data in their wake. You can also search these forms for your motherboard or processor and bring up results. Please post some more info, like temps, voltages, and frequencies.

Archived