Corsair Community

HX1000 with 32 Hard Disks - Possible?

Vimm

I have a server that I've built and I currently have 17 hard drives in the server. All the disks are low-power green disks.

I'm intending to add more disks to the server bringing the total to 32. I'm using disk backplanes on the server which means I'm using six separate cables from the PSU to power all the disks.

Three of the backplanes use SATA cable connectors and three of the backplanes use molex. I'm using all six of the Molex/Sata connectors on the PSU. I can physically connect 32 drives but I'm worried the PSU can't power this many safely.

So my question is, can the HX1000 handle this many drives at once? The server has no graphics card installed so I'm not using any PCIe 6-pin or 8-pin cables. I'm only using the ATX 24 Pin and the 8 Pin CPU and the SATA/Molex

Thanks.

It would depend on the power draw of the hard drives you use plus the power draw it requires to run the basic system.

Multiply your HD requirements by 32 and add to the rest of your system. If it adds up to less than 1000w , you should be good!

The server is already built. It is a general use Windows 2008 R2 Server. Not just for storing files. A NAS would not be able to offer the flexibility that this server can provide (48GB RAM, Triple Hardware RAID6 Arrays, 8 Cores etc)

All I need to know is, will this PSU handle 32 disks. I don't want to run 32 disks off the six peripheral cables it provides only to have it overload the unit or something like that.

each drive will use 5-10 watts on avg during operation.

so you are talking about 350W max maybe.

thats like 29.2A if my math is correct

how many amps per rail or is it shared?

IMHO i would get a 400W psu and run just the drives off of it if the HX1000 gives less than 30A per rail. but thats me, i did it once on an old A7V rig with 20 drives and lots if IDE and SCSI controller cards. ran great.

had to friggin google to find out there are 40 A per rail on the HX1000 so even if all the drives were on one rail you should be covered as long as my math is correct, i used an online calculator to check.

if your MB supports it i would suggest HDD spinup delay. got to be a noticable draw if 32 HHDs all try to spin up at once

The RAID card I'm using does have Staggered Spinup which is what I will be using. It's a high end LSI RAID Card with SATA III and 512MB onboard Cache with a dedicated Intel CPU for RAID6 parity calculations.

Thanks Synthohol.

Archived