Corsair Community

RAID 0 on Force GT 60 GB...

Hello, I'm new in this forum.

I'm having issues with speed on my drives.

I was wondering if the RAID controller affect IOPS badly, because I can't seem to get the speed higher than 740 MB/s on sequential.

For fastest speed, what should my configuration be?

The only controller I think I have is the onboard AMD SB950 southbridge.

It is possible to configure it through UEFI Shell, so I might have some features there, but I'm having a hard time using the shell.

My system is currently configured in RAID 0, 64KB stripe, allocation size unknown, write back, read cache, NCQ, write cache enabled on both drives.

My drives are the Force GT 60GB drives.

Should I use RAID, or AHCI for configuration, and how do I use AHCI? Can't get in and HW configure any AHCI.

The controller is the AMD Chipset SATA Controller, SATA III.

I would really appreciate the help :confused:

Changing to AHCI, if you could, would not help. You can't create a RAID array in AHCI mode.

The main issue is that the AMD RAID chipset and drivers are not as fast as the Intel chipsets. We've seen that many times in this and other forums.

The UEFI shell won't help at all, there is nothing special or better going that route.

A larger stripe size will usually provide higher sequential speeds. Asking what is the fastest is to general a question, the different performance aspects of any SSD are a trade off between each of them.

Hi RBM Dragon

Other option to get full speed ove sata3 ssd is to buy a pcie 8x controller

Like the highpoint 2720sgl, this controlleur as a maximum speed ove 2800MB/s

For about 150$, this card is very good.

You will not get full speed ove pcie 2.0 with this card

But other controller is sell from 300$ to 1500$

Sure controller at 1000$ is bether, it as cach memory and it will run up tu 32 SSD

i ave test with 1, 2, 3 and 4 corsair Force GT 120gb

1 ssd 536870MB/s write 573852MB/s read

2 ssd 938585MB/s write 1034931MB/s read

3 ssd 1388459MB/s write 1516957MB/s read

4 ssd 1556585MB/s write 1901586MB/s read

I tink thath uptimal speed is get with 6 or 7 SSD 2800MB/s and 2720sgl could run up to 8 sata3 drive

It not sell with sas to sata cable so you ave to buy 1 or 2 ove thos

1 sas to sata cable ave 4 sata3

Just loock at thos link you will undertstand

HighPoint RocketRAID 2720 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA / SAS Controller Cardis 235$ it come with 2 cable

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115079&Tpk=highpoint%202720

HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL PCI-Express 2.0 x8 Low Profile SATA / SAS Controller Card 160$ no cable ( watch carfully thers is a Non-RAID Host Adapter version ove the 2720sgl)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115100

HighPoint Int-MS-1M4S SFF-8087 to 4 SATA 25$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115064

So 160 +2 cable at 25$ is lest then 235$ If you nead just 1 cable it cost even lest

hope this help

Sincerly yours

Thank you for the responds. I'll try to configure the raid better later.

I didn't realise the speed was so limited to the raid controllers, but it does make good sense though.

I do think that 235 $ seem a bit overpriced for a controller, but that might be the cheapest. I might be getting that later though.

Highpoint 2720 controller is good option

Other similar sas to sata 6GB/s pcie 8x is mutch more expencif Around 500$

Only With intel last chipset x79 you will get full speed ove 2 SSD, because ther is only 2 sata 6GB/s connector, So you able to do raid 0 ove only 2 SSD

With a card like 2720SGL, you could plug up to 8 SSD

But with only 6 or 7 top u will reach the maximum speed ove this controller (2800MB/s)

How it can be overpriced, this is not a raid controlleur like you said

It is a PCI-Express 2.0 x8 Low Profile SATA / SAS Controller Card

Only With intel last chipset x79 you will get full speed ove 2 SSD, because ther is only 2 sata 6GB/s connector, So you able to do raid 0 ove only 2 SSD

Not true at all, Intel has had two SATA 6Gb/s ports on most of their 6-series chipsets, introduced in early 2011, and on all of the new 7-series chipsets.

I've been using SATA 6Gb/s SSDs on a P67 chipset board for well over a year now. All these chipsets also have four SATA 3Gb/s ports, and you can create RAID arrays in any combination, as Yellow Beard just demonstrated in a recent post.

Frankly, unless you just love to see benchmark results, the difference in actual usage of a PC between sequential speeds of ~750MB/s and ~1000MB/s is very small. That capability is something that is rarely used.

I just bought a very nice mother board with an Intel Z77 chipset, with two SATA 6Gb/s ports, for ~$100. A good deal, but they aren't that hard to find. It's up to you if $200+ is worth it for a RAID card (if your board will boot from a PCI slot card, not a given) but I don't think they are worth it.

Hi Parsec

Wher i see the big deference it wend i download map in games

Games like Battlefield 3 take a lot ove time to load maps

My brother take arond 20 to 30 second with is sata3 HDD

Me with 3 X25-m in raid 0 (sata2 SSD) it take me arond 8 to 15 second

With my 4 Corsair Force gt in raid 0 i take 2 to 6 second to download maps

I am a big gamer and i like to ave the avantage to be the first in game wend the battle start

sincerly yours

Archived