Corsair Community

ASUS P4P800 Dlx. TWinX4000Pro

Moebbel

Hi, i really need some help with my System. First the facts of my rock stable System till I changed the Ram: ASUS P4P800 Deluxe P4 2.4C @ 3000 (FSB250/Memory 5/4) 1 Gig of Corsair 3200LL RAM Now I bought me a TwinX 1024 CMX4000Pro Kit, that I can overclock also my RAM to DDR500. But the only thing I get are several crashes/system restarts. The Memory runs at Std. SPD (3,4,4,8) and all Bios Turbo settings etc are off. I only can get the System to run again when I lower the memory to 4/5 divider again. So the 4000Pro Modules run only at 400MHz and much slower than my "old" 3200LL Modules. Plz help whats the Problem with my System ? Oh before I forgot: DDR Voltage is 2.75 (also I tested 2.65 and 2.85) Moebbel

• Corsair Employee
I would test the modules one at a time and set the following settings after you load setup defaults: AI Over clocking: Manual CPU Clock: 250 DRAM Clock: 400 Dim Voltage: 2.85 Volts System Performance: Auto SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank Then under USB Devices disable legacy USB and test the system with www.memtest.org!

Hi Ramguy thx for the fast answer! What u wrote is what I meanwhile have tested. But I did the test with both Modules on my MoBo. Is there a difference if I use only one Module ? After about 40 minutes and 4 passes Memtest I get 0 errors. So whats the problem that my win xp reboots after ~ 3-5 Minutes?

• Corsair Employee
It's hard to say, but if you are not getting errors in memtest that would suggest some other issue! Do you have extra cooling on the chipset? What do you have the CPU Vcore and Dim Voltage set too? Can you test the CPU and memory in another system?

Cooling should not be the Problem. I got a Thermaltake Xaser AluTower with 7 x 80mm Fans. 2 blow from the Side onto the MoBo. PSU is an Antec TrueBlue 480Watt. CPU is pretty cool with a Zalmann CNPS7000CU on it (around 37°C) I tried 2.75, 2.65 and 2.85 DDR Voltage. CPU VCore runs at Auto with the 3200LL Modules. Now with the 4000Pro Modules I also tried CPU VCore up to 1.65 (But I think the CPU ist not the Problem, I can get the CPU to ran at 3.3Ghz with the 3200LL Modules) I cannot try the CPU / RAM in another System with that high frequenzies. I am thinking about to buy an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe; do you think this helps?

• Corsair Employee
Yes, the P4C800-E has over clocked better than the P4C800 in our lab, so i may be a good idea to test that MB before you try and RMA the modules! And I would suggest you add a cooling fan to the chipset with any CPU Freq of 220 MHz and above! In addition, you will be able to reach a higher freq with the memory at DDR333 because of loading on the chipset and CPU!

• Corsair Employee
We do not suggest the I865 chipset with XMS4000 because the MB’s we have tested all have not over clocked as well as Canterwood! Bottom line! That is not to say you cant do it, because you can and some have been able to run with MB’s using I865, just we did not see the consistent O.C. reachable like we did with I875 chipset MB's!

Hi RamGuy, today i bought an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Mainboard with an Intel P4 2.8C. Up to now I manage to get this System stable with my 4000Pro TwinX Set. I run the System at: 3220MHz (FSB 230) Ram at 460Mhz (3-4-4-8-4 2.75V). Can u plz tell me the best timings for the TwinX1024 4000Pro Rams @ 460Mhz?

• Corsair Employee
It's hard to guess, as they are tested at Cass 3-4-4-8 at 250 MHz! Some modules will run tighter timings and some will not! I would try and test the modules one at a time and play with the timings testing with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and see where they will run one up then you might have to back the Freq back a bit with both modules with a 2.8C CPU, as they have not O.C'ed as well as 2.4C CPU's! You might try and set the Freq at 200 on the CPU and set the timings to Cass 3-3-3-8 then work your way up a few MHz at a time to find out where they will run probably something link Cass 3-4-3-7 with the Rass to Cass at "4"!

Hmm I managed to run them at 2.5-3-3-5 for a hour now. (230FSB/460Ram) 0 errors at Memtest, and also Win seems to be stable. But why my SiSoftSandra Memory scores arent better than with 3-4-4-8 ? I only got 50 MB/s more. Any clue ?

• 1 month later...
Hi RamGuy, I have one more question. It´s time for another Gigabyte of RAM. So what do you mean; can I put another pair of TwinX1024 Pc4000Pro Modules in my System ? I need 2 GB of RAM so I have to fill the other 2 Dimm Sockets also with 512MB PC4000Pro Modules. Are there any compatibility Issues ? Moebbel

• Corsair Employee
Well you are welcome to try it, but it seems to be hit and miss with 4 modules, and for sure you may not be able to run as high of a frequency with 4 modules, but it can be done. I would suggest you match what you have now for best performance, both in part# and revision!

Archived