Corsair Community

Vengeance K90 Issue

Viperfish

Against my better judgement, I viewed the support page and what some people were saying about driver issues, and still bought Corsair hardware anyway. Look who's now posting here. *bonks self*

Anyway... the K90's hub works just fine. I have an M60 plugged into the back of the keyboard and have had no issue with the mouse(I haven't installed Corsair drivers for it... God help me when that time comes). The K90 itself however is having odd issues.

When I first plugged it in, everything was fine for a few seconds. I did not attempt to type on it after an initial response test so I don't know how long it actually was until it stopped working. After a few computer restarts, I've noticed that POST does not complain about a missing keyboard... meaning it detects a keyboard. The only place the keyboard seems to actually work is right after the Starting Windows screen, and then the keyboard dies again after logging into the computer.

I test for functionality by hitting the LED brightness button. It doesn't work before the end of the Starting Windows screen, and it stops working sometime after logging in. All the LEDs on the keyboard are on during the whole process. Because it's not a standard key the keyboard itself might work sometime before the Starting Windows screen. I haven't tried going into the BIOS or anything like that. Once it stops working, neither the standard keys, the brightness key, the media keys or even the volume roller will respond.

I've tried installing/reinstalling K90 drivers from the Corsair site but it doesn't seem to help, and the K90 Firmware Update program has never once worked properly. It always ends with "Set firmware update mode failed!".

The K90 was meant to replace my Logitech G15, and the M60 is meant to replace a Logitech G500. As an aside I have a Corsair 750w PSU, Corsair Dominator RAM and a Vengeance 1500 headset and those are wonderful(headphones can use more bass and the PSU cables are obnoxiously stiff but those are minor complaints).

New set of symptoms. Sorry. I'm playing around with it and posting at the same time. I uninstalled all HID Keyboard Device drivers, uninstalled the K90 Firmware Update and drivers, restarted the computer, and the keyboard wouldn't respond at all. After the restart I unplugged the keyboard(leaving the hub connected), and plugged it into a different port. Windows says it's searching for drivers, and the keyboard responds throughout this whole process. Windows says the device is installed, and it continues working for a few more seconds, and then boom... it stops responding again.

Alright, here's the latest.

Without installing or uninstalling whatever Windows will automatically install, I unplug the keyboard and plug it back into the same port. The keyboard's irregular buttons will function(M1, M2, M3, LED brightness, volume wheel, etc). The moment I push a regular key, the whole keyboard goes dead and none of the keys will work(LEDs are still on). If the last thing the keyboard does is pass a key to the OS, the key will stay "stuck" and will enter it in repeatedly as if I were physically holding down the key.

The Firmware Update program kills the keyboard similarly. I unplug it, plug it back in, the irregular keys work again. I try the Firmware Update, it fails as usual, and the keyboard is now dead like above until I unplug it and replug it.

So basically the keyboard dies when I try to actually type on it.

My original computer runs Windows 7. I used USB 2.0 ports.

I tried this on a laptop I have laying around that runs Windows XP Professional SP2 and after XP installed what seemed like a dozen devices/drivers that I had to confirm one at a time, I had exactly the same symptoms. The hub works fine, the M60 works fine, the K90 works fine when pushing the non-standard keys(M1, M2, M3, LED, etc) but as soon as I push a key, the key got written into notepad and then the K90 loses all response. It did the key-repeat thing too, where it was acting like I had a key pushed down the whole time.

Archived