Corsair Community

Have to unplug K90 to POST

Kandralla

I just bought a K90 and am using it on an ASUS P5K Deluxe running the most recent BIOS available (rev. 1005). The problem I'm having is that the system won't post if the keyboard is plugged in. If it's plugged the system beeps once (the normal beep code that happens during a normal boot), and then just sits there with a blank screen, and there are no lights on the keyboard; if I hit a key the backlight leds flash once. If however I leave the keyboard unplugged until I see the BIOS splash screen then everything works ok; if I'm fast enough I can even enter and navigate the BIOS.

Has anyone else seen anything like this and have any suggestions for a workaround.

You may want to contact Asus and ask them about this. We have seen a large number of motherboard makers updating bios of recent. Also please make sure you are using a USB 2.0 port.

It's an older motherboard so I doubt I'm going to get much from them but I'll give it a try.

It's just kind of weird that it doesn't seem to be an incompatibility as the BIOS can see the keyboard just fine once it get's past whatever it's doing between issuing the everything is ok beep and the splash screen. It's almost like the keyboard is trying to pull too much current and the BIOS software doesn't have a proper method of handling that situation, so it just stalls.

I looked in device manager at what the USB host says the keyboard is pulling and one of the ports is pulling the full 500 mA and the other (I assume it's the USB pass-through since the keyboard still works if I unplug it) is pulling 98 mA. I don't know enough about how USB works to know if that is an actual measured number or what the keyboard is requesting but is it really supposed to be using that much current? I don't think my USB powered scanner uses that much and it's got a motor and stuff. Is it possible I have a bad keyboard?

I don't really have an easy way to check it short of on an even older machine that I'm pretty sure it won't work on. Right now I've kind of found a workaround, If I plug the keyboard into an unpowered hub the system will post without having to unplug it.

I might end up having to send it in for a replacement however, I noticed a couple of the LED's seem to have stopped working.

Archived