Corsair Community

K90 & Linux : some dysfunctions

romeodelight

Hi,

I have just taken delivery of my new Corsair K90 keyboard.

Unfortunately, it has some dysfunctions with LINUX :

Linux Mint Debian Edition UP4 :

Num Lock : always lighted :mad:

Caps Lock and Scroll Lock : never lighted :mad:

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS :

Num Lock : functioning correctly :D:

Caps Lock and Scroll Lock : never lighted :mad:

However, with Windows XP, the three lights function correctly. :D:

Romeo,

Britany, France.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but you will need to update the kernel of Both of your Builds so they can work with 16 Bit Key boards. I would check with the respective software developers to get the latest Kernel.

I'm surprise that it will be a kernel problem.

Admittedly, the Ubuntu's kernel is rather old : 2.6.32-generic.

But the Linux one, 3.2.0-2-amd64, is available since february 2012.

Thank you very much to ask the software developers, what shall I do.

Best regards.

• Corsair Employees
This is something we will pass along. Basic functions should work with all the devices in OSX and linux. The software will not. These platform's though have not been extensively tested and configured so all functions may not work the same as in Windows XP and 7.

Basic functions should work with all the devices in OSX and linux

And Num Lock, Scroll Lock & Caps Lock are not considered as "Basics functions" ?

The software will not.

Of course. When I have bought the device I was informed.

But I thought I was able to use this device in basic configuration without dysfunction.

These platform's though have not been extensively tested and configured so all functions may not work the same as in Windows XP and 7.

It is rather curious, yours tests did not detect this anomalies.

I did it, in less than 10 minutes.

So, I understand that my keyboard operates like the Corsair's technical Specifications.

Correct ?

• Corsair Employees
And Num Lock, Scroll Lock & Caps Lock are not considered as "Basics functions" ?

A: Assuming that you have tested the Key Board in a Windows environment and found no issues that is why I suggested updating the Kernel.

It is rather curious, yours tests did not detect this anomalies.

I did it, in less than 10 minutes.

A: Let me put it another way no one that I am aware of in the industry test's hard ware with open source software. While our Key Board has been tested I would not be able to tell you what specific Kernel you need as we do not do formal testing with open source software. The only exception this would be products made to work or bundled with a specific software package.

I would try and test the KB with another system using Windows 7 if possible to be sure there is no mechanical problem with your KB and if that proves successful then I would suggest a different Build of Linux there are hundreds to chose from on the market most since its open source offer free versions I believe this is required by the original developer. However the free versions may not have the latest Kernels and driver packs so some manual updating may be required, but that is what makes it open source. In addition, most of the respective software developers offer open forums and that would be the first place to check for these types of issues.

• 1 month later...
A: Assuming that you have tested the Key Board in a Windows environment and found no issues that is why I suggested updating the Kernel.

A: Let me put it another way no one that I am aware of in the industry test's hard ware with open source software. While our Key Board has been tested I would not be able to tell you what specific Kernel you need as we do not do formal testing with open source software. The only exception this would be products made to work or bundled with a specific software package.

I would try and test the KB with another system using Windows 7 if possible to be sure there is no mechanical problem with your KB and if that proves successful then I would suggest a different Build of Linux there are hundreds to chose from on the market most since its open source offer free versions I believe this is required by the original developer. However the free versions may not have the latest Kernels and driver packs so some manual updating may be required, but that is what makes it open source. In addition, most of the respective software developers offer open forums and that would be the first place to check for these types of issues.

I'm using win7 64bit, everything works on my K90.

In Linux Mint 12, I get the same as user above. It's a terrible thing when your caps lock light, a BASIC function, does not work.

• Corsair Employees
I would agree to an extent but its a new concept using software controlled Mechanical Key Boards with 16-Bit USB technology to enhance their abilities on newer games. I would expect with some time it will become more widely accepted in the industry. And other platforms will adopt the technology.

I'm using Fedora 17 with kernel 3.4.4 and, both my k90 and m90 are working properly.

Of course, you can't ask an hardware manufacturer to test every linux distros, every releases and all kernels which are available with every single release. It would be a lot more work than in windows, for an o/s that is installed on roughly 2 to 3% of thehome computers.

BTW, found this on linux market share: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

• 3 weeks later...
I'm using Fedora 17 with kernel 3.4.4 and, both my k90 and m90 are working properly.

Of course, you can't ask an hardware manufacturer to test every linux distros, every releases and all kernels which are available with every single release. It would be a lot more work than in windows, for an o/s that is installed on roughly 2 to 3% of thehome computers.

BTW, found this on linux market share: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Glussier,

This is good info for me. It just means I'll have to wait a bit for my 'version' of linux to catch up. Thanks for taking the time to add some info.

sudo kbd_mode -u

That works, thanks! Changing it to ASCII mode does also work (kbd_mode -a). The default setting on my system is 'mediumraw (keycode) mode'.

Edit:

Oh, one issue though... when in UTF-8 or ASCII mode, the meta key switches the console.

Edit:

Oh, one issue though... when in UTF-8 or ASCII mode, the meta key switches the console.

yep, I've noticed this as well, I'm still trying to find a fix for it through loadkeys, or xmodmap, it's annoying when you type 'Alt+F2' for the run command and switch back to VT2 :o

As an update to the above - using kbd_mode -u works great in console but not in X

changing my xorg.conf to include

Option "AutoAddDevices" "OFF"

in the ServerLayout Section

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Keyboard0"

Driver "keyboard"

Option "CoreKeyboard"

Option "XkbRules" "xorg"

Option "XkbModel" "pc105"

Option "XkbLayout" "gb"

EndSection

for the keybaord, then everything works as expected - except for the scroll lock LED (always off) num lock & caps lock work all media keys etc \o/, Alt+F1 doesn't switch to console or anything silly either :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived