Corsair Community

AX850W time to PC standby issue

ya93sin

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my PC, where it takes a long time for the motherboard standby light to light up after turning on the PC from the plug.

This can take from 1minute to sometimes an hour.

Once the PC is on, there are no problems and have never been. All games that require high GPU/CPU usage run perfectly, I've never had the PC shut off due to lack of power. This makes me a bit confused.

As a interim measure, recently I've been leaving the computer on standby (plugged in with power on but PC not running). One thing I have observed is when I turn off the PC, after a minute the standby light turns off (can't turn on PC) and after 20 minutes or so lights up again, and I can use the PC again.

So I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting everything, waiting 10 minutes and reconnecting, I've looked to see whether there may be any short circuits, but I can't think either of these two are the issue as surely the PC wouldn't run fine afterwards.

It's an AX850W so I'm not sure how the paperclip method would work, the fan doesn't spin up until a certain power is being drawn iirc.

I'm really stuck for ideas on what to do, Corsair on tech support only seem to offer a chance of an RMA.

I'm however wondering whether it's due to static build up or perhaps my Uni power supply. I never had this problem using the PC at home.

It's an AX850W so I'm not sure how the paperclip method would work, the fan doesn't spin up until a certain power is being drawn iirc.

You may not pull enough power to get the fan to spin, but it will tell you if the PSU is powering up right away or taking some time to initialize. If it still takes a couple of mins to power just a couple of fans then the PSU should be replaced.

If it does power up right away ii would have your MB looked at or replaced.

You may not pull enough power to get the fan to spin, but it will tell you if the PSU is powering up right away or taking some time to initialize. If it still takes a couple of mins to power just a couple of fans then the PSU should be replaced.

If it does power up right away ii would have your MB looked at or replaced.

Thanks for the response, what signs am I looking for when I try this method?

Is it to make a sound, a whirring noise? If not the fan I'm not sure what I'm looking for..

Further to this, I've rebuilt the PC, rechecked all connections, taken the PSU outside of the case and tried with just the motherboard connected. This didn't work.

I've no paper clip anywhere near me or anything similar.

It may be that the motherboard is not sending the signal to the PSU to power up but even when I manually press the power button on the mobo nothing happens.

As far as I'm aware there's no other way to sort of trick the PSU into giving power to the mobo?

I've replaced the CMOS battery and cleared CMOS, both to no avail.

This is a very difficult issue for me because in my mind both the PSU or Mobo could be at fault.

However the PSU hasn't struggled to give power to the PC when playing Crysis 2/Total War games/Battlefield 3, which all require high levels of power.

And yet the motherboard has never given an issue since I've had it either, and up until yesterday was running fine.

I've looked around the motherboard for ruined capacitors, but I can't find any.

I've air dusted the case just in case there was a short circuit going on, that hasn't helped either.

So in my humble opinion there is an issue either with the motherboard sending the power on signal, or the PSU receiving it.

Anything else seems to be ruled out by the fact the PC ran perfectly with seemingly no issues while either my PSU or Motherboard was detoriating.

On the ASUS side of things, I'm requesting support and advice as well.

Any help would be appreciated, especially if there's a way to mimic sending the "power on" signal to the PSU.

I should really get some paperclips I think though.

Archived