Corsair Community

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B and A75M-S2V

Poisonsnak

I'm having a weird compatibility issue with this Llano board and RAM kit.

both sticks installed: system will not post, nothing on display, no beeps from speaker, must hold power button for 4 seconds to shut off

1 stick (either one) in slot 2: same as above

1 stick (either one) in slot 1: system will not post, all I get is a long beep repeating from the PC speaker.

The weird thing is I took some DDR3-1866 RAM from another system, installed it in this board and it works fine. I checked the settings to make sure it wasn't set higher than the spec for the 8GB kit and they were ok.

I've also put this 8GB kit in that other system I borrowed the RAM from, and it works fine as well. Both systems post and run memtest86+ flawlessly with each other's RAM. The other system is a 990FXA-UD3 with an FX-8150 in it so the memory controller is a bit different I guess.

Just wondering what I should do, are there certain compatibility rules with Llano that I missed, or should I try RMAing the kit? Permanently swapping the RAM isn't going to work because this new kit isn't as fast as I would like for that other system.

Check to see if you have the latest BIOS for your MB. If not flash to the latest version.

I cant see RMA'ing the kit would do any good. The RAM works fine in another system so the RAM is fine. It's got to be something in the BIOS of that board that the memory does not like.

I tried updating the BIOS, and also using it in a 3rd test system which is a similar Llano build and it did not work in that system either, so I think I'm going to try and RMA it, maybe my main system that it worked fine in is just a bit more tolerant I guess.

Archived