Corsair Community

Random System Restarts

mrh250

Good morning all!

I'm a newb to the system-building community, just finishing my first ever build. I have a problem that I want to discuss and see if I can figure out the root cause.

My system randomly restarts, and I can't nail down why. Everyone I've talked to says "oh, it must be the power supply." The problem is, I don't know how to check.

I have put my 4Gb x 4 sticks of Corsair memory through the memtest86+ ringer with no issues. However, I seem to have fewer restarts if I pull 2 sticks out. This is just a qualitative analysis, though, I can't verify that.

There aren't any trends to when it restarts more or less. I can play Star Wars: The Old Republic for a few hours with no problems. Then, I'll be browsing the internet with one browser tab open, and it'll restart. Oh, and to clarify, it is actually a restart not a BSOD.

Any help or advice would be greatly, greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Respectfully,

Matt

Have the same issue with my AX1200 and I did, pretty much, narrow it down to the PSU.

Replaced Motherboard, CPU, Videocard... the only parts left are PSU, Hydro 100, and RAM.

I seriously doubt that Hydro can be causing restarts, so unless Corsair memory is - it's PSU.

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest testing the system with just one or two modules installed and swap them around to be sure its not a loading or memory problem. Or if you can test that PSU on another system or test this system with another PSU.

Interesting. I've been messing around with the RAM, testing multiple configurations using memtest86+. In essence, I started with all 4 sticks of 4GB RAM for 2+ passes, then removed 2 and reran the tests for another 2+ passes, then I ran each stick for 3+ passes. In all cases, I had no errors. Finally, after putting the 4 sticks back in (I believe they aren't in the exact same slot as before), I haven't had a restart.

Anyone hear of this happening? I'm not filing the problem away as "solved" quite yet, but I'm stumped.

• Corsair Employees
Its hard to say 100% for sure at this point I would just use it and let us know the problem returns but if it does you may want to try and set the memory Voltage to 1.55 to 1.6 Volts and see if that helps.

Archived