Corsair Community

4688906 rma clarification

On the 24th i received an rma authorization. The same day i overnighted my broken ssd to california. If was there on the 25th. I called on the 29th and they said it still wasnt there. Finally I gave them the tracking number and they said they'd look into it. I was told I'd get a call back-never did. I called back around 4pm the same day, this time the lady with whom i spoke looked into it and said they didnt have the ssd in the US and that they'd have to ship it from their international location and thought it may take upwards of 10 days. She then offered a 3 day service and i said ok. I also offered to pay extra to get an ssd which fhey do have in a usa warehouse but she said no. I received a ups tracking number yesterday but it just says that they've created the label. Today I called again and was told that the part was being first shipped from taiwan to ups then ups would ship it to me. The lady on the phone said i should receive it on tuesday and ups should receive it on tuesday. Iasked her how it's being shipped from taiwan but she supposedly didnt know. My problem is that this is the C drive on my only non server computer at home. I havetrouble believing that the package will get to ups on tuesday and then they will deliver it the same day even thoigh it is a 3 day shipment. Can someone clarify this situation for me? Why didn'f corsair take care of something so important to me in a timely manner? Why did they not allow me to pay them extra for a drive they had in stock locally and save themselves the international shipping? When should i realistically expect to get it?

Just checked the UPS site and the tracking info says my ssd has left California. It's in UPS's hands so I guess all is good. I guess the customer support agent was mistaken about the whole taiwan/tuesday thing. I'm pretty confused by all this but glad it's on its way. I live in a pretty small city and unfortunately NO ONE locally carries ANY SSD drives, so with all the confusion I ended up buying another 2tb hard drive that I'm temporarily using as my C drive. I'll clone the contents when i get my ssd back. Thanks.

Also...

I'd really like to not have to deal with this messy and slow process again. Which of your drives have the lowest bought to rma ratios? I don't rally want to replace my C drive every year. Any recommendations for taking care of it or a more reliable model? The drive that I'm still waiting on is a force 40.

• Corsair Employees
The Force 2 SSD's with the latest Firmware 2.4 should be no problem and they all Force2 and Force 3 are about the same for return rate, about .015%. With the Force 3 GT being the lowest of them all but not by much.

• 4 weeks later...
This is the first chance I have had to post anything. Overall I'm very disappointed. The "new" drive that you guys sent me was a refurbished unit(which I wouldn't scream about if it worked properly). This refurbished unit tested at about 170MB read and 40MB write...ridiculous as these drives are advertised at 300MBs both ways. The drive that I bought new tested at about 270ish when I got it which I was happy with. Very unhappy. Waste of time and money shipping the drive to you. Will not buy Corsair again and will advise all co workers and friends/family against your company as well. What a sham.

Yes ahci is enabled. I'm using an asus p5g41tm-lx3 because I have a qx9650 which is lga775 and that's one of the very few boards that accepts ddr3. I did not do the "secure erase" which you speak of, but this is on the same computer that ran the 270 MB/s read/write on my original ssd while it was working. I'll gladly try to "secure erase" it if there's a way to do it for free without having to re-install windows. Otherwise it's not worth the wasted time and it's going into the trash and being replaced with a competitors disk. Afterall, what good is a 40gb ssd that's as slow as a hdd? - useless if you ask me.

I can't believe you're trying to blame this on my hardware... SataII has a data throughput of almost 400MB/s...let's say due to a pretty cheap motherboard about 300MB/s at the WORST. This is obviously not a hardware limitation other than another crappy ssd. I just ordered a new 240gb drive made by a competitor that's advertised at 520MB/s read and write after testing out a friends(on MY computer that you are trying to blame) and getting speeds upwards of 350 MB/s. Anyone want a free overpriced black 40GB paperweight?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata#SATA_revision_2.0_.28SATA_3_Gbit.2Fs.29

SATA revision 2.0 (SATA 3 Gbit/s)

Second generation SATA interfaces running at 3.0 Gbit/s shipped in high volume by 2010, and were prevalent in all SATA disk drives and most PC and server chipsets. With a native transfer rate of 3.0 Gbit/s, and taking 8b/10b encoding into account, the maximum uncoded transfer rate is 2.4 Gbit/s (300 MB/s). The theoretical burst throughput of SATA 3.0 Gbit/s is roughly double that of SATA revision 1.

Realistically SATA II maxes out at around 285 MB/s when testing in ATTO.

The Force 40 GB can obtain writes of up to 270 MB/s and reads of up to 280 MB/s in ATTO.

How are you testing your Force 40 GB and your other SSD's speed? If it's not with ATTO, then your test results can't be compared with Corsair's results.

• 5 weeks later...

So I ended up putting the under performing drive into an older laptop that we just use for internet. An acer aspire 5740 with an intel I5 processor and 4 gigs of ram. The laptop is no where near a performance beast, but we really don't need it to be.

Anyways...

Everything was ok, then about two weeks ago the computer started to randomly freeze. I'd have to forcefully reset it with the button to get it to shut off. This ended up happening nearly 10 times in about a week long time period. I finally ended up putting a regular 2.5" hd in the laptop, cloning the ssd onto it and giving it a try. Nothing..no crashes..no big speed difference etc.

So...

The refurbished drive that you guys sent me has already failed. 1 month, maybe 2 and it's acting up.

What now corsair?:sigh!:

• 2 weeks later...

I called customer service yesterday morning. The lady on the phone was pretty nice and just asked for my old case number. Without any questions, she offered to cross ship a new drive to me. I was told that I should receive the new drive in about 3 days and should receive an email with a UPS label a day or two before I get the replacement drive(or about the same time). I was pretty surprised at the good service(wish it could have been like that the first time). The only thing I'm not quite clear on is the fact that she didn't give me a new case number or any other details. I was only on the phone with her for maybe 2 minutes tops and forgot to ask about it. Should I just wait for an email with the label and a drive to show up at my door? I'd prefer not to have to call again but want to make sure everything was actually pushed through as I haven't received any type of email confirmation about this rma.

thanks.

• Corsair Employees
I would give it a few hours as it take 24-48 hours for these types of cases to be processed internally. But if you don't hear from them by say 1:00 PM Pacific Time or in about 5 Hours I would give them a call again to follow up.

Archived