Corsair Community

Memory Questions

JoeJoeJoe

Hi,

I'm assembling a new desktop soon and I have some memory questions.

My future spec is an Ivy Bridge machine (3770K) with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard.

I'm not going to overclock my machine too much (if any).

My most important goal is to have a silent machine.

1. I'm thinking about the Vengeance series. However, these modules are physically way to high, so my CPU cooler selection is very limited to noisy coolers. I'm now thinking about Vengeance LP as an alternative. My question is, is there a performance difference between Vengeance and Vengeance LP? I assume since the LP has less efficient cooling, there must be a trade off of performance vs. heating. Is it true?

2. I decided that I want to get 32GB of RAM. My Corsair options include CML32GX3M4A1600C10 or two CML16GX3M4A1600C9 modules. I was surprised to discover that buying two separate 16GB kits is much cheaper than buying a complete set. I also get CL9 instead of CL10. My question is, will it work buying two separate modules? I see that modules are branded as dual channel or quad channel kits. Does it really mean anything or is it just a way of saying that there are two modules or four modules?

Will it fit my system?

Thank you,

Joe.

1. I'm thinking about the Vengeance series. However, these modules are physically way to high, so my CPU cooler selection is very limited to noisy coolers. I'm now thinking about Vengeance LP as an alternative. My question is, is there a performance difference between Vengeance and Vengeance LP? I assume since the LP has less efficient cooling, there must be a trade off of performance vs. heating. Is it true?

Nope, no difference in performance or heat really. They should run identically!

2) If you are wanting 32 gigs then get a single 32 gig set. Corsair can not suggest or support the mixing or using of more than one kit per MB for compatibilty reasons. Even two sets of the same exact part numbers can be tricky at best and more than likely you may have to run them at 1333mhz to get two non tested sets to work together.

Does this mean that buying 16GB kit (of two modules) now and upgrading it in the future with identical kit will probably not work as well?

Yes, same scenario. You are welcome to try what you want , but there are no guarantees.

What is the support story in such a scenario?

Like i said, Corsair does not support the mixing of more than one kit for the reasons listed above. Basically there isn't alot they would be able to do. I have seen them replace modules for another set. But that puts you right back where you started.

It seems like I made a mistake. I can't find a 32GB kit for the LP series.

So my only option is to order two 16GB kits.

What are my chances for this to work?

Realistically about 50/50 that you would get two kits to run at 1600mhz. Some people do luck out and get them to work, some have to run at the next lowest speed grade (1333mhz). and some don't work at all.

Im not sure why the LP are not offered in a 32gig set. You would think they would offer at least one. There is always the possibility that RaMGuy may have some further information to add to this . Maybe a part number that has not been added to the site.

I do not see one offered in the Vengeance line, but there is a 32gig kit offered in the XMS line. The part number would be CMX32GX3M4A1600C11. This is listed on "the egg" but not in the Corsair store. So there is a possibility that there is a LP vengeance part number that has not made it to the Corsair store..

Let RG take a look and give his opinion on this before you make any decisions though :)

What is the support story of Corsair with regarding to buying two 16GB LP kits?

If they don't work together, will Corsair replace the kit until a match is found?

What would be my solution for getting 4x8GB kit of LP memory?

Archived