Corsair Community

Abit IC7 Max3 and 2x512 3200XLPro

hooligan

Im having issues with my 3200XLpro ram. Let me explain the testing I have done. I have run memtest 3.1a on each 512 memory stick (seperate) with vanillia bios STD setup and both sticks fail in all slots, Failing tests 3,5,7 on every pass @ V2.7 agp V1.5 I then called Corsair tech support and they suggested I try uping the V to 2.8 on the dimms and uping my V 1.6 to my AGP card a 9800XT. Also to change the timing on the ram to 2.3.2.5 from 2.2.2.5. I did this and now when testing each chip 1 at a time Chip A) passess in slots 1,3,4 and Chip B) does not pass in any slot failing tests 5 and 7 . Regarding Chip A) errors for this module do occur but not untill pass 5. Not exactly what I call pass, but it differs from the other chip and should be noted. Now the tech support person explained to me that Abit has V issues with Max3 board and I agreed, but he seemed to think it was for V 2.7 and up and that is not correct, its V above 2.8 that the abit board has issues with and it can be fixed by removing some cap. Since Im not overclocking I have no desire to remove the cap unless Im completly wrong about the V issue with the Abit Max3 board. Please correct me if so. Needless to say 1 chip is bad, the other is flaky at best, In order to get the one chip to "flaky" status I had to put my AGP V to 1.6, now if you look at the 9800XT chip set you already know its pretty well the max the R420 GPU can do and their is not room for any additional heat. So by raiseing the V to 1.6 I cant run a game to save my life because within 2-3 min the video tears or just plain ol stops. So now im left to question what to do. I do indeed need to RMA the chips because both imo are faulty. And certainly dont work. Once I recieve the new ram, I cant run my AGP at 1.6 this creates to much heat, 1.5 should be enuf. Now if I remove the cap on the ABit board will this fix the problem so I dont have to raise it? System Specs Abit IC7 Max3 Bios 1.6 Intel 3.2C Corsair 3200XLPro 2x512 Sappire 9800XT Video Card SB Aug2 Enermax EG465P-VD Whisper Power Supply Floppy/DVD-RW DL Antec Tower Case Please Help.

Thanks Candy As you can see the RMA might not be a soultion for me and a differrnent Ram set all toghether. [quote name='CandyKid']Welcome to the forums, hooligan! I'll bring this to RAM GUY's attention to see what he thinks. PLUR CK[/QUOTE]

Bump Ram Guy? From abit Regarding Ram Flux VDIMM Issue UPDATE: Information about MAX3 VDIMM voltage fluctuation issue VDIMM Issue UPDATE An ECN has been released to fix the problem of the DDR voltage being unstable if set at 2.9-3.1v. It is a hardware fix involving one component removal. We have tested the IC7 MAX3 after having applied the ECN and the voltage is really stable. This should take care of the fluctuation problem. It will not garantee that you can overclock to whatever you want though. Yes, you can RMA your board to have this fix. Please initiate the regular RMA process on our website. You can have cross shipping service with a deposit if you like. If you have any further questions you can PM me. Thanks for your patience, ABIT PR

Per another call at Corsair, Thanks Jon:) Tried a new board Asus P4G800-E with 2.4CGHZ since the Abit board is not as VTT friendly USB legacy is OFF Stick a) passes Corsair recommended settings no errors 5 passes At this point I felt pretty good and rather than keep the guy on the phone I said Id test the second chip on its own:( Stick B) does not pass fails test 1, 3 and 5 (5 passes and counting) All settings are the same in the bios. :(:

Archived