Corsair Community

Corsair Vengeance 1500 crackling issues

mustkrakish

I just purchased a new set of Corsair Vengeance 1500 7.1 surround headphones, and I'm having a problem with crackling/popping/clipping audio. All audio is distorted regardless of amplitude/EQ settings, and crackles to varying degrees. Sometimes, it's barely noticeable, other times it's completely atrocious.

I've put my google-fu skills to the test, and so far haven't found any kind of solution to the problem (although I have seen several other users report similar issues.

Aside from the crackle, the headphones sound fantastic, and I'd really like to keep them. I've tried plugging them into a different computer, and didn't have any issues.

I've tried re-installing the corsair drivers, I've uninstalled and re-installed the other audio drivers on my computer, disabled HDMI audio out...you name it, nothing works.

Does anybody have any suggestions for how I could make this stop?

EDIT: I just fired up Battlefield 3, and the sound worked perfectly! I got excited, so I tried a different game (Left 4 Dead 2, then Dead Space 2 just to be sure) and sure enough, it went right back to the crackling. This pretty much confirms my suspicion that it's a driver or setting error.

DOUBLE EDIT: Apparently, that was just a fluke. Tried several other games (Alan Wake, L.A. Noire, Mass Effect 3, Crysis 2, Tribes Ascend) and all of them had the same crackle. Then, I tried Battlefield 3 again, and the crackle was actually worse. Absolutely baffling.

I've tried the headphones on two other computers (a PC and a mac), and they both worked just fine. I can't even use them on my gaming PC without having the Corsair drivers installed, it just says "device driver was not installed correctly" when I plug them in. Apparently, my gaming PC just hates these headphones (or vice versa).

I can confirm this is a MASS PROBLEM. Horrible QA imho. Driver incompatible with something either Windows Update is spitting out or something. I've NEVER had problem and then all of the sudden I do...

Hmm...so other wierd things happening too...windows not responding when I try to go into SOUNDS options sometimes....something about Windows Shell Dii or Uii something or another. I have to Task Manager out of it. Starcraft 2, I have to Task Manager, alt-tab out of to close also, when I try to mess around with settings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Mustkrakish

I've got the same problem as you described - did you ever solve this with your headset?

Mainly testing with BF3 so far, sound seems to work OK for a little while, then gets "corrupted" by large explosions or the end-game music - after which it is distorted and crackling until I ALT-TAB out and back again.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply - will hold off returning it as I did a bit more testing today: tried two things at the same time, one/both of which seemed to solve the problem.

1) Disabled onboard sound on my motherboard in BIOS. I had already tried disabling in Device Manager without success.

2) Swapped USB ports so using a USB 2.0 port instead of USB 3.0.

Sound seems OK now but I haven't tested for very long in BF3 so will have another test tomorrow.

• 3 months later...

I had this problem, found the thread through Google. I switched from USB 3.0 to 2.0 and it seems to have gone away, for now at least.

Maybe Corsair should look into this issue. For reference I am using an Asus Rampage IV Extreme main board, 1.1 Drivers corsair drivers.

• Corsair Employees
I had this problem, found the thread through Google. I switched from USB 3.0 to 2.0 and it seems to have gone away, for now at least.

Maybe Corsair should look into this issue. For reference I am using an Asus Rampage IV Extreme main board, 1.1 Drivers corsair drivers.

The USB 3.0 problem has been documented. Its typically due to the third party controllers on most of the boards. For most peripherals beyond HDDs, its not necessary to use 3.0 since there is no advantage in doing so.

Archived