Corsair Community

Corsar RAM tested before shipping out to stores?

Synomenon

I thought Corsair RAM was tested before going out to stores?

I purchased two kits of CML16GX3M2A1600C10 (each kit contains 2x 8GB sticks) to use in my ASUS Rampage IV Gene. Got the kits and ran HCi Memtest. After 6 hours it detected three errors. Previously had the non-low-profile versions of these sticks, but had to toss them since they wouldn't fit in my new case. They were fine and didn't show any errors after 48 hours of testing.

I filled out the RMA form online, but the part number for the RAM was not on the drop-down menu so I had to call customer service. Also asked for an advance replacement and they said that they don't have the RAM in stock in the US so they'd have to have it shipped from Taiwan.

I wonder how long this advance replacement is going to take... Hopefully the replacements are actually tested.

Yes, they're tested. Were you attempting to run the 2 kits in the same system at the same time? If so, that's not recommended or guaranteed as since they haven't been tested together there's simply no way to know if/how they'll work together.

The best thing to do is to test one stick at a time in the same slot using Memtest86+. This will help you to determine if it's a stick, slot, or compatibility issue.

Yes, I was attempting to run both kits in the same system at the same time. I would have purchased a 32GB kit, but Corsair doesn't have a low-profile 32GB kit yet.

I don't understand what would make different sticks of RAM with the same specs. not work together or 'cause one stick to spit out errors. I'm an electrical engineer and that makes no sense to me. Do you guys have an engineer I can talk to that can explain it?

• Corsair Employees
We are sorry but we don’t recommend mixing memory kits together because of compatibility issues that can occur due to the possibility of different memory chips used in the modules. We distinguish this by the lot code on the memory modules and when there is no choice as it is in your situation where we don’t have the LP kit in the quantity you desire, you can try and mix two sets that are from the same lot as that would be the best chance of getting two sets to work together. However, since they are not tested together there is no way we can guarantee they will work together.

Archived