Corsair Community

New RAM causing Problems

Teeklin

Alright, I'm new to this forum and not really all that knowledgeable with RAM, so bear with me. I recently decided to upgrade from my 1 stick of 512mb PC2700 (the stuff that came with my computer, no name stuff) to a pair of PC3200 512mb Corsair sticks. The memory I bought was [URL=http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80098-21]Corsair VS1GBKIT400 Value Select[/URL] from ZipZoomFly. It arrived just today and I attempted to install it. Shut the computer down, popped the old stick out, popped the two new sticks in, and started up the computer (careful about static discharge the whole time of course). When I started it back up, I immediately went into the BIOS. It was reading both sticks, 1024mb...but it listed them as PC2700. I continued booting up, it went into windows fine, but then all the sudden the computer flickered for a moment and then restarted on its own. When it booted up a second time, everything on the screen looked fuzzy and bright, and it hung when trying to enter windows from the Logon screen. So I turned off the computer, took out the new RAM, but the old RAM back in and haven't done anything with it since. Just a bit of info about my computer, I'm running an [URL=http://www.emachines.com/support/support_info.html?prodName=T2825]eMachines T2825[/URL] that I got for Christmas. I've attached the motherboard manual that came with the computer, and I'd be more than happy to volunteer any other info needed to make this memory work. Thanks a ton! :):

I did some research on my AU31 motherboard and found out that it was only rated badly because there was no way to change memory settings in the BIOS. I don't know much about BIOS, but is there any way for me to upgrade or change it so that I can get one I can adjust the settings on manually? And also, a bit more info on my problem. I put the RAM back in to try it again (new day, new perspective and all) and it still didn't work, still randomly shut off my computer and gave visual problems and made the computer sluggish...but when I took it back out I noticed that even though it was only in there for ~5 minutes, it got warm. My old RAM when I took it out had been up and running for 24 hours straight and was cool...so I don't know why it's overheating. Anyone with any thoughts or suggestions on how to make this new RAM work? Thanks! :):

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then see if you can set the memort Frequency manually to run the memory at DDR333 or at 100% in sync with your CPU! If not I would try and test the modules one at a time on another system with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] to be sure one is not failing!

Unfortunately, after doing a bunch of research, I don't see any way to upgrade the BIOS on this OEM motherboard. The BIOS I currently have displays the amount of memory being used in each slot and what frequency it's running at, but there's no way to adjust it. I would, of course, prefer a BIOS where I could change these things manually, but unless someone can tell me a compatable BIOS that I can flash that will let me change these things...then does anyone know of a program out there that will let me change these settings independant of the BIOS? I checked the memory in my Dad's computer and everything worked fine...but it still won't work right where it counts. I know the problem could be fixed by simply getting a new motherboard, but I don't wanna go that far just to upgrade my RAM. There's gotta be a way to change the frequency that the RAM is running at from PC2700 (333mhz?) to PC3200 (400mhz?) even with my crappy BIOS. Also, it's possibly that my integrated video card is what's causing the conflict...since that uses sytem RAM. I bought a new vid card and I'm getting a new power source...so once those two are successfully installed, I might try the RAM again and see if it will work...although I doubt it. I wonder if it might work if I disabled onboard video in the BIOS, then turned the computer off, installed the new RAM, and started BIOS immediately and turned it back on if that would make a difference (not having video enabled while it's getting used to the new RAM)...but I don't know if that'll make any difference as I'm really not an adept computer hardware upgrader :): I hope someone has some ideas, otherwise I guess I'll just have to take the memory back and live with 512 of 2700. :[pouts:

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but I don’t know of any way to change the bios! In addition, the memory frequency will be based on the CPU Frequency! If the system you have will support a 200 FSB CPU it might run at DDR400, but most of the IGP chipsets will set the memory at DDR333 no matter what CPU when you use the onboard graphics!

[QUOTE]In addition, the memory frequency will be based on the CPU Frequency! If the system you have will support a 200 FSB CPU it might run at DDR400, but most of the IGP chipsets will set the memory at DDR333 no matter what CPU when you use the onboard graphics![/QUOTE] Kinda speaking greek to me, but according to my manual (which is attached to my first post) my mobo supports a 200/266/333MHz FSB. I did receive, however, my new vid card today...so as soon as I get my power supply I'll pop both of those in and make sure they work, then try the RAM again. Maybe with onboard disabled the memory will work. Thanks for trying though!

• Corsair Employee
This chart may help you as well! If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266. If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333 If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400

Archived