Corsair Community

Ack - help with Asus A8V Deluxe and Corsair sticks

SumoHamster

Hi All, I just put together a new system this weekend, with the main parts consisting of: Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard TwinX1024-3200LLPRO Ram Athlon 64 3500+ cpu Audigy 2 ZS soundcard When I built the system, I had a Nvidia 6800 GT. The system worked fine in all games I threw at it with no problems at all. However, I decided to take that out, put in my Radeon 9800 Pro, and wait for my x800 xt pe to get here. (I reformatted after putting the 9800 back in just to verify the drivers were cleared up) Now, whenever I play games, the system randomly locks up. I often get VPU recovery messages at first, then the screen will just freeze and sometimes recover, sometimes not (the computer reboots). I emailed Asus and received a canned reply back, but one thing they are trying to say is that the memory may not be certified with this board and could be the problem. They also said it could be my PSU or an overheating problem. Well, my case temp is usually about 40C and my cpu idles around 50C - I haven't seen it above 56C or so immediately after a game. I know it's not the video card itself because I got a brand new 9800 to test with and the same problems occurred. So, in accordance with something I saw mentioned elsewhere in these forums, I set my DDR voltage to 2.7, but that didn't help the problem. Also, memtest86 runs with no problems at all. I have an Antec TruePower 430W PSU and it runs fairly stable. Are there any compatibility problems with this memory and this motherboard? Hopefully I didn't ramble too much - I just wanted to give the background and why I am checking into memory compatibility. Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
I don't understand something, why would you trade a 9800 for a NVIDIA 6800? The NVIDIA 6800 is almost 2 times faster than a 9800! In addition, I also don’t understand why a MB maker would skip the obvious and take the easy way out and point the finger somewhere else! That is just pointless and does not solve the problem! The modules you have are no problem and the fact that you had the system running with one configuration and had no problems, but in the current configuration there is a problem! I would test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and let’s make sure you don’t have a bad or failing module! I would test them with the timings and voltage set manually Cass 2-3-2-6 at 2.7 Volts, if you have not done so to be sure! Otherwise, I would get the NVIDIA 6800 back and you should be set!

Archived