Corsair Community

Power Off Control Cable Doesn't Function

SGrunt

I have recently purchased a 200EX but can't get the power off control cable to function correctly. I've followed the directions as outlined on page 5 of the manual but when I connect the wiring the way shown in the diagram, the PC won't start. If I leave off the power off cable (this is the wire attached to J5 on the card) the PC and Hydrocool start up and work normally. What am I doing wrong? :confused: Thanks for any assistance......S

[quote name='SGrunt']I have recently purchased a 200EX but can't get the power off control cable to function correctly. I've followed the directions as outlined on page 5 of the manual but when I connect the wiring the way shown in the diagram, the PC won't start. If I leave off the power off cable (this is the wire attached to J5 on the card) the PC and Hydrocool start up and work normally. What am I doing wrong? :confused: Thanks for any assistance......S[/QUOTE] SGrunt first get your motherboard manual an check the pinouts for the power switch. the cabled supplied with HCX, the 2 female ends go to MB-pwrbotton an other to J5. the male end(2 prongs) goes to start button wire

Thanks for the response, KaptCrunch. That's exactly what I did. I guess I could have a bad HCX wire or connector.I'm not sure how to test it at this point. I hate to not take advantage of this since it provides for the emergency shut down function. Any other thoughts? ....S

Yep. I've connected the wire as shown in the HC200 manual to the pins marked ATX Power Switch on the mobo. When I do that, and press the power on button on the front panel (or use a screw driver to short across the two male pins of the J5 wire), nothing happens. The system just sits there. When I remove the J5 wire from the ATX Power Switch pins and connect the front panel power button leads, the PC starts normally.

SGrunt, Have you called tech support at ASUS to see if the manual is wrong? It's possible. Just because it's in print doesn't mean it's correct. :bigeyes: The HC manual has been revised four times. :sigh!: If ASUS is correct, then a call to Corsair technical support number is needed. Stev

stev, Good thought. I haven't called ASUS support yet. The power pin outs 4 & 5 seem to be working correctly as shown in the manual. When connected to the case front panel power switch, it turns the PC on. If the ASUS manual was incorrect, I would have thought I'd have had trouble with the front panel power switch. I'm hesitant to contact ASUS when it doesn't seem to be a mobo related problem. I think I should contact Corsair customer support at this point. Maybe they can send me an new cable.

[quote name='SGrunt']I'm hesitant to contact ASUS when it doesn't seem to be a mobo related problem. I think I should contact Corsair customer support at this point. Maybe they can send me an new cable.[/QUOTE] [quote name='SGrunt'](or use a screw driver to short across the two male pins of the J5 wire), nothing happens. The system just sits there..[/QUOTE] it wont start anyway from that point cos no signel to HCX question how do u run HCX now ?

[quote name='KaptCrunch']question how do u run HCX now ?[/QUOTE] I may not have explained my situation well. I have made 3 different connections to the slot card in accordance with the instructions on page 5 of the HCX manual. 1. Molex power extension cable 2. Thermal feedback cable to J3 3. Power off control cable to the 2-pin J5 connector. The molex cable goes to the PSU, of course. The Power off control cable is currently not connected to anything. The HCX runs normally when I press the PC front panel power button. If I connect the Power Off Control Cable to the mobo ATX Power Switch pins, connecting the front panel lead to the male pin extension of the Power Control cable, nothing will power up. I think I've got a bad control cable. :( /edit - unable to get thru to tech support. If the HCX is working correctly, is there any drawback to not connecting the power off cable?

[quote name='SGrunt']I may not have explained my situation well. If the HCX is working correctly, is there any drawback to not connecting the power off cable? [/QUOTE] ok the issue is not shutting OFF in over temp mode? To test the feature.....if over temp is set to a lower setting(then roomtemp) temp, alarm should Beep an shut off system if so not working check the main cable for bent pins at pci card and rear of HCX if all ok than rma the unit as for not using the shut down cable.....dont leave system unattended but im sure HCX will proforum fine as long it got fluid

With the board and CPU that you have there is no drawback to not having the cable connected. If you had an Athlon XP system which does not have thermal protection then you would want it. The motherboard supports thermal monitoring and will shut down your system if it ever overheats, so you don’t really need that function of the Hydrocool.

Thanks for the replies. I finally was able to speak to Tech Support at Corsair who said the exact same thing as SpDFre@k. The cable is probably bad but it's superfluous with the board I have. The power off function was designed for use with the Athlon XP and is not needed with the Athlon 64. :biggrin:

Archived