Corsair Community

win 32 bit compatability

I would like to keep using my Win Me OS with a Win XP Home upgrade

as XP will be supported until April 2014 and I'd rather spend money on a new PC than a new OS

If I get a new PC with a 60GB Force 3 Sata III 6GB/s solid state disk for the only storage, will it work with the Win Me+XP OS?

I am replacing a 10 year old PC. The spec of the PC I am looking at is:

Intel Core i5 3570K

Xigmatek Loki SD-S963 Cooler

Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard

4GB DDR3 1333mhz (1x 4GB)

Hard Drive: Corsair 60GB Force3 SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s or a 500GB S-ATAIIorIII HDD (not both)

22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA Optical Drive

Onboard Graphics & Sound

EZCool Mesh ATX Case

400W Xigmatek PSU

so my plan is to get this and add things over the next 10 years or so. I'll save data to an external disk/archive to DVDs. Once the warranty is up I'll add other internal disks, bigger PSU maybe, graphics card etc. if I haven't already done so

Also, if possible, I'd want to keep using my Win Me OS and my existing Win XP upgrade disks (both retail versions) for as long as XP is supported - April 2014. I read on Tombraider forums that there wont be a problem using 1x4GB stick of RAM with a 32bit OS (until I upgrade at some time to a 64-bit system)

No new system is going to have driver support for Win98/ME

But since you have XP Upgrade, you can actually install that as a clean install, without ever installing WinME.

TBO though, I would not bother using an SSD under XP. It's just not a good experience and it's alot more manual work to get it alligned/formatted/installed correctly. Where as with Win7 or Win8, there is nothing really to do, except set your SATA controller to AHCI mode (in BIOS) and install your OS. Only thing really would want to do under these OS it disable background defragging and disable superprefetch feature.

Do yourself a favor, if you're buying any new hardware or building a new system, get a newer OS. Like Win7 64-bit

As well as 8GB of RAM minimum, preferably in a 2x4GB kit, so you can utilize the motherboard's dual-channel feature.

If you're going with an SSD, it's best to just use that for your OS and frequently used apps. I would suggest 60GB minimum SSD for this.

But you don't want to store everything on just your single SSD. I'd suggest a minimum 500GB - 1TB secondary hard drive to store other larger apps (such as Office, Games, etc.) and as a place to download all your files and perhaps store your backups, etc.

Archived