Corsair Community

Copying between SSDs

It will depend on the files you are coping, I would run ATTO on each drive and post the results also complete the system specs and let us know the part number of the drives

The specs of my machine;

Intel I7-2600K at 4.6GHZ

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z - using Intel 6Gbps sata for both Corsair Drives

8gb Corsiar Vengeance 1866mhz

Gigabyte GTX 580 SOC

Corsair Force GT 60GB

Corsiar Force GT 120GB

Think that the main info really, I have included the information you requested. Where can I get the part numbers is that off of the drives themselves or software?

I am copying a 5GB MKV file in the attached picture, the ATTO benchmarks seem about right to me?

Thanks

1464749453_ForceGT60.jpg.8236410d9fe2f37f17b0a5ac25840c52.jpg

962581118_ForceGT120.jpg.fe898899d78c3693cce1fa1bfd2d073e.jpg

Copy.jpg.2a69cfcb30c0e4d17bbcd58eed1776af.jpg

ATTO looks fantastic! try a program called teracopy http://codesector.com/teracopy, works better and faster than windows copy most of the time. also are they on the same controller? maybe thats the bottleneck?

Hi,

Yeah they are on the same controller but I would have thought that there would be plenty of bandwidth on each 6gbps port? I could try one on the Marvel Controller just to rule it out. Need to look into it

Sata ports are half duplex, so 2 disks on the one controller is not the fastest connection system.

So with 2 disks on the one controller you would have to read from one, then stop, then write to the other.

With the disks on separate controllers, you can read and write at the same time.

Sata ports are half duplex, so 2 disks on the one controller is not the fastest connection system.

So with 2 disks on the one controller you would have to read from one, then stop, then write to the other.

With the disks on separate controllers, you can read and write at the same time.

I plugged my boot drive into the Marvel controller and this was the result, as you can see it is the same, starts out over 270MB\s and drops to this.

Marvel.jpg.420ccbc4f5c334d0f19b78a3b89dd042.jpg

Anyone else got two ssd's and tried this, not sure if there where the problem lies.

I have tried copying a 11GB MKV file from the new 120GB SSD to the Windows 60GB SSD and it starts out fast but quickly drops right down to pretty shocking speeds for an SSD.

fromssdtowindows.jpg.2490ddb60f5df779403381a1d43dfecd.jpg

WEI scores are just numbers.

Windows Help and Support

The scores currently range from 1.0 to 7.9. The Windows Experience Index is designed to accommodate advances in computer technology. As hardware speed and performance improve, higher score ranges will be enabled. The standards for each level of the index generally stay the same. However, in some cases, new tests might be developed that can result in lower scores.

WEI scores are just numbers.

Windows Help and Support

Yeah I'm not too concerned about the WEI score to be honest just want to know if the low transfer speeds are to do with compressed va uncompressed data or something not right with the drive.

• Corsair Employees

carnagerover

I do not see a problem with the drives they are performing at spec according to your ATTO Scores. The file you are coping looks to be a highly compressed Video or something like that and you may not see the same performance as you would in a Benchmark or in using the O.S. because the files would not be compressed.

However what you stated is not bad for that type of file copy and you are likely limited by controller saturation and the type of file you are coping.

carnagerover

I do not see a problem with the drives they are performing at spec according to your ATTO Scores. The file you are coping looks to be a highly compressed Video or something like that and you may not see the same performance as you would in a Benchmark or in using the O.S. because the files would not be compressed.

However what you stated is not bad for that type of file copy and you are likely limited by controller saturation and the type of file you are coping.

It was an 11gb MKV file that was being copied, I just found it strange that the SSD is not faster than my mechanical hdd when it comes to copying files. I tried one drive on the intel controller and one on a the marvel to rule out saturation, made no difference.

Archived